Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: stuttering in games. (mainly valve)

16 Nov 2009   #121
sotorious

windows 7 professional 64 bit
 
 

sounds like a plan im gonna do more testing with this whole sound gig i found, if that fixes it then fantastic!!!! but if it doesnt time to move onto the hard drive. im just stalling that for last cause for 1 i dont wanna reinstall windows 7 for the 3rd time in less than a month. so im trying to be 100 % positive its that.

cause if i end up doing the partition / getting a new drive..... and it still happens someone will get hurt...


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
16 Nov 2009   #122
mushroomboy

Windows 7, Linux
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sotorious View Post
sounds like a plan im gonna do more testing with this whole sound gig i found, if that fixes it then fantastic!!!! but if it doesnt time to move onto the hard drive. im just stalling that for last cause for 1 i dont wanna reinstall windows 7 for the 3rd time in less than a month. so im trying to be 100 % positive its that.

cause if i end up doing the partition / getting a new drive..... and it still happens someone will get hurt...
I'm not saying it'll fix everything, but the whole thing is if you install a fresh HDD and fresh format and you don't get issues.... and as the hdd gets older/fills up.... it might be related to hdd performance, because as time goes on the hdd fills up and looses performance. That's why a fresh format and fresh install are always so crisp. Nobody ever thinks of that, and it can cause a lot of performance issues.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Nov 2009   #123
Frostmourne

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mushroomboy View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sotorious View Post
sounds like a plan im gonna do more testing with this whole sound gig i found, if that fixes it then fantastic!!!! but if it doesnt time to move onto the hard drive. im just stalling that for last cause for 1 i dont wanna reinstall windows 7 for the 3rd time in less than a month. so im trying to be 100 % positive its that.

cause if i end up doing the partition / getting a new drive..... and it still happens someone will get hurt...
I'm not saying it'll fix everything, but the whole thing is if you install a fresh HDD and fresh format and you don't get issues.... and as the hdd gets older/fills up.... it might be related to hdd performance, because as time goes on the hdd fills up and looses performance. That's why a fresh format and fresh install are always so crisp. Nobody ever thinks of that, and it can cause a lot of performance issues.
How so? If you defrag regularly, and unless the disk is dying, everything should be fine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Nov 2009   #124
mushroomboy

Windows 7, Linux
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frostmourne View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mushroomboy View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sotorious View Post
sounds like a plan im gonna do more testing with this whole sound gig i found, if that fixes it then fantastic!!!! but if it doesnt time to move onto the hard drive. im just stalling that for last cause for 1 i dont wanna reinstall windows 7 for the 3rd time in less than a month. so im trying to be 100 % positive its that.

cause if i end up doing the partition / getting a new drive..... and it still happens someone will get hurt...
I'm not saying it'll fix everything, but the whole thing is if you install a fresh HDD and fresh format and you don't get issues.... and as the hdd gets older/fills up.... it might be related to hdd performance, because as time goes on the hdd fills up and looses performance. That's why a fresh format and fresh install are always so crisp. Nobody ever thinks of that, and it can cause a lot of performance issues.
How so? If you defrag regularly, and unless the disk is dying, everything should be fine.
Well yes but never say it'll fix everything, because if it doesn't then you just look dumb. =P
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Nov 2009   #125
hipzilla

Windows 7 Pro 64
 
 

I wanted to say that after reading an earlier post in this thread about sound, I went and disabled my sound card in the device manager and managed to play TF2/HL2:EP2 without the annoying stutter. As soon as I re-enabled my sound card, the stutter was back. In TF2 it's bad enough to make the game unplayable. So nothing new to add really, just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone in this problem.

Previously I had removed both CPU and GPU overclocks, and tried 3-4 different Nvidia driver sets. The only non-Source games I have installed at the moment are Dragon Age and COD:MW2, both of which work stutter-free.

Win 7 Pro 64
8800GT w/ 191.07
XFi Xtreme Music w/ 2.18.13
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Nov 2009   #126
Frostmourne

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mushroomboy View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frostmourne View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mushroomboy View Post

I'm not saying it'll fix everything, but the whole thing is if you install a fresh HDD and fresh format and you don't get issues.... and as the hdd gets older/fills up.... it might be related to hdd performance, because as time goes on the hdd fills up and looses performance. That's why a fresh format and fresh install are always so crisp. Nobody ever thinks of that, and it can cause a lot of performance issues.
How so? If you defrag regularly, and unless the disk is dying, everything should be fine.
Well yes but never say it'll fix everything, because if it doesn't then you just look dumb. =P
Why would it fix something that isn't broken? It consolidates files. If something is broken its the hard disk. What are you getting at?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Nov 2009   #127
mushroomboy

Windows 7, Linux
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frostmourne View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mushroomboy View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frostmourne View Post

How so? If you defrag regularly, and unless the disk is dying, everything should be fine.
Well yes but never say it'll fix everything, because if it doesn't then you just look dumb. =P
Why would it fix something that isn't broken? It consolidates files. If something is broken its the hard disk. What are you getting at?
It's like saying "Never say Never", you can't ever make sure something is 100% correct.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Nov 2009   #128
Frostmourne

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

Defrag doesn't diagnose, it maintains. Get it right.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Nov 2009   #129
hipzilla

Windows 7 Pro 64
 
 

Sotorious, have you tried what's suggested here? I gave it a shot and it seemed to greatly improve the smoothness of my TF2 online play.

Have to sleep for now, but tomorrow when I get home from work I'll definitely give that solution a bit more testing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Nov 2009   #130
Dragoon

WinXP Pro (x86) / Win7 Pro (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hipzilla View Post
Sotorious, have you tried what's suggested here? I gave it a shot and it seemed to greatly improve the smoothness of my TF2 online play.

Have to sleep for now, but tomorrow when I get home from work I'll definitely give that solution a bit more testing.
This solution help and fixed my problems. Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 stuttering in games. (mainly valve)




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Micro-Stuttering in games
Hey all, I write this thread to ask for you assistance on behalf of my brother. Recently he purchased a pre-built gaming PC from amazon (He did not build or even pick parts for it). However even though the computer has good hardware, it experiences micro-stuttering or camera panning lag when...
Gaming
Windows 7 stuttering in games
Hey I just recently installed windows 7 on my computer but when I play any game it just seems to stutter a lot , I have tried disabling mscorsvw.exe have the latest drivers for my video card installed , tried turning off anti-malware and anti-virus but it did not do anything. I even tried it on...
Gaming
BSOD when using steam/valve games
ive been using this brand new computer for about 7 months now all of the system details are in my system specs, so if u need more info dont hesitate to ask ive been playing dota 2 and at random times it freezes my computer completely. usually it doesnt even BSOD. it just freezes and i have to...
BSOD Help and Support
Stuttering on Games
Hi there I am starting to lose patience with my laptop. Since the beginning of August, my games have started to stutter in gameplay. It is driving me mad now. This never happened before the end of July. I got my laptop in May 2011, and it was fine through May, June and July. Is the problem the...
Gaming
ValvE games and my os
Hello all, I'm currently having a small problem with my games "target locations" and only the ValvE ones, from what I'm noticing. In this picture (Yfrog - cssgd) I have the properties of Counter-Strike: Source, and Bad Company 2 opened up. Ever since I placed the 64bit ver of Windows 7 I've...
Gaming


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:28.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App