Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Boxed PC games market 'gone by 2011'

03 Feb 2010   #21
thefabe

Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit / XP Home sp3
 
 

Well I personaly like my discs. As for the agrument on packaging price I belive it has merit. But then I just purchased GTAIV from Amazon "Like New" and was for a total of 13.85. So this is another situation we'll have to wait and see what driection the industry decides to go. I also am aware of the problem with the disc becomeing unplayable in time but then I use Gamejackel (purchased) to create the startup image so I don't have to use the disc and can keep it nice a clean.Fabe


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
03 Feb 2010   #22
Wishmaster

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by valtonray View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Diosoth View Post
I run cracked games with no CD patches. DRM is bad, nor do I need a CD in if it does a full install. PC gamers are giving up because they're being treated like criminals. This is the fault of the companies.
maybe we wouldn't need DRM and copy protection if you bought your media...

I thought he meant he uses them on older games that has the DRM requiring aCD in the drive/ though still owns the physical discs/game.

No CD executables are nice on older games that do this so you do not have to swap the CDs in and out. IF YOU OWN THE GAME!

I do think pirating has put us in this mess ..

By the same token, If companies went with a diff. approach such as:
We know the game will be pirated and cost to much to try to stop what we cant so ...
Work out something with Free DLC (I think they are actually experiementing w/this now) that must be Digital.
this way theres still physical disks, yet some Digital means that cant be pirated as easily in frquent small portions. And more incentive to buy the "full" game so-to-speak

If it would work, and the game is good theyd sell more in the long run Id think.

And the pirates can keep going with a stripped version of the game (As large amounts of conent were DLC on release.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Feb 2010   #23
swarfega

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Im not fussed about discs any more. The last 173 games Ive bought are all from steam. The only time I buy a disc is due to bandwidth considerations because of the large download.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Feb 2010   #24
DarkRhystar

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by EvilOzzmess View Post
Sounds awesome… NOT! Who wants to give greedy companies MORE money for less, at your inconvenience? Not me, they already raise profits unfairly by well over $20 as it is! They do NOT need an extra $10 or more on top of that inflated $20, again at YOUR inconvenience!

However, if these companies guaranteed two conditions:

1) They LOWER the price by $10 to $15 to account for using NO materials AND 2) Allow you to BURN A PHYSICAL BACKUP DISK of the game - then hell yes, I’d say bring it on. BUT – we all know that will never happen. So… nope, not going there.
Recently there have been a lot of game companies with layoffs or simply going out of business so while I'm sure there is corporate greed in the environment, it's not like every game company on a digital distribution platform is rolling in dollars laughing maniacally when someone buys their game.

Also, your $10-$15 per game for materials is highly exaggerated. Let's look at an older breakdown of the cost by ars.*



Manufacturing costs + Distribution = 6.5% or $3.25 per $50 game.

Bioshock 2 is releasing on February 9th on Steam for $44.99 and it includes Bioshock 1 so that's below retail, below these approximated %'s without distribution, and with an added bonus of getting the original game. You can shout and stomp your feet about how they could be charging less but realize that they're not offering a bad deal compared to retail.

Also, I'd love the ability to burn copies of downloaded games. The ability to buy online and play offline is the ideal of course.

*Chart is from 2006 so it's a bit dated. Also note that PC games don't necessarily have a "console owner fee" associated with them.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Feb 2010   #25
EvilOzzmess

7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkRhystar View Post
Also, your $10-$15 per game for materials is highly exaggerated. Let's look at an older breakdown of the cost by ars.*



Manufacturing costs + Distribution = 6.5% or $3.25 per $50 game.

Bioshock 2 is releasing on February 9th on Steam for $44.99 and it includes Bioshock 1 so that's below retail, below these approximated %'s without distribution, and with an added bonus of getting the original game. You can shout and stomp your feet about how they could be charging less but realize that they're not offering a bad deal compared to retail.

Also, I'd love the ability to burn copies of downloaded games. The ability to buy online and play offline is the ideal of course.

*Chart is from 2006 so it's a bit dated. Also note that PC games don't necessarily have a "console owner fee" associated with them.
So they say, anyway. Just like the US Government had been claiming unemployment was only at 10% a few months back, when we ALL knew it was really 15% or over! Don't believe everything you read or are told, dude. And I see there is 20% retail markup - there's where they're hiding some of those steep markups on physical materials right there.

By the way, do you have ANY idea how much they want for you to buy those DVD-ROM cases used (the ones most games today are coming in now, such as Sims 3)? $2 - the distribution marks those up to at LEAST $5 - and they only spend 5 cents on them, let me tell you. Then as I said is all the fancy artwork and color paper, and the paper itself which is already by itself very expensive, and then they're paying the people putting those things together as well - it all adds up to at LEAST $10-$15, trust me!

The point was, these damn companies will keep the games the SAME, exact prices instead of lowering them to account for the money they WON'T be spending on materials and also distribution. It's a blatant rip-off, because they DO suck out as much money as they can from you just for that cheesy case, artwork, paper and crappy, cheap disk(s)! Big Business is all about ripping you off as much as they can, but without pissing you all off - at least it is today.

But yeah, my other core point is that in exchange for loosing the "security blanket" of a PHYSICAL HARD COPY, we should pay less for it. Only fair.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Feb 2010   #26
JonM33

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Retail is a waste of time, go with e-tailers. I purchase my games online but not through D2D or Steam. I'll buy the boxed version from NewEgg, etc. I really doubt that boxed PC games will cease by 2011 though. I'll be buying the boxed PC version of Aliens vs Predator and Assassin's Creed 2 as well.

You couldn't pay me to put Steam on my computer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Feb 2010   #27
Zepher

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by EvilOzzmess View Post
By the way, do you have ANY idea how much they want for you to buy those DVD-ROM cases used (the ones most games today are coming in now, such as Sims 3)? $2 - the distribution marks those up to at LEAST $5 - and they only spend 5 cents on them, let me tell you. Then as I said is all the fancy artwork and color paper, and the paper itself which is already by itself very expensive, and then they're paying the people putting those things together as well - it all adds up to at LEAST $10-$15, trust me!
Your figures are way overly inflated.
The paper and printing is very cheap, the packaging is automated. $5.00 max for a standard game.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Feb 2010   #28
Zepher

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JonM33 View Post
Retail is a waste of time, go with e-tailers. I purchase my games online but not through D2D or Steam. I'll buy the boxed version from NewEgg, etc. I really doubt that boxed PC games will cease by 2011 though. I'll be buying the boxed PC version of Aliens vs Predator and Assassin's Creed 2 as well.

You couldn't pay me to put Steam on my computer.
You know what the coolest thing with steam is? You can copy your entire Steam Folder to an external drive, bring it to a friends house, install the steam client and then point the install to the external drive and then play all of your games without needing to install anything but the Steam Client.

When I load a new OS, I install Steam and point the installer to my other drive where my Steam Games are loaded and then just play.

Steam also auto updates all of your games so you don't need to keep running patches manually.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Feb 2010   #29
Frostmourne

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JonM33 View Post
Retail is a waste of time, go with e-tailers. I purchase my games online but not through D2D or Steam. I'll buy the boxed version from NewEgg, etc. I really doubt that boxed PC games will cease by 2011 though. I'll be buying the boxed PC version of Aliens vs Predator and Assassin's Creed 2 as well.

You couldn't pay me to put Steam on my computer.
You know what the coolest thing with steam is? You can copy your entire Steam Folder to an external drive, bring it to a friends house, install the steam client and then point the install to the external drive and then play all of your games without needing to install anything but the Steam Client.

When I load a new OS, I install Steam and point the installer to my other drive where my Steam Games are loaded and then just play.

Steam also auto updates all of your games so you don't need to keep running patches manually.
Steam is junk - if the patch breaks the game you can't remove it. What kind of app forces you to update? Its a waste of bytes. If you can connect. I prefer Games for Windows Live anyday.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Feb 2010   #30
Zepher

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frostmourne View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JonM33 View Post
Retail is a waste of time, go with e-tailers. I purchase my games online but not through D2D or Steam. I'll buy the boxed version from NewEgg, etc. I really doubt that boxed PC games will cease by 2011 though. I'll be buying the boxed PC version of Aliens vs Predator and Assassin's Creed 2 as well.

You couldn't pay me to put Steam on my computer.
You know what the coolest thing with steam is? You can copy your entire Steam Folder to an external drive, bring it to a friends house, install the steam client and then point the install to the external drive and then play all of your games without needing to install anything but the Steam Client.

When I load a new OS, I install Steam and point the installer to my other drive where my Steam Games are loaded and then just play.

Steam also auto updates all of your games so you don't need to keep running patches manually.
Steam is junk - if the patch breaks the game you can't remove it. What kind of app forces you to update? Its a waste of bytes. If you can connect. I prefer Games for Windows Live anyday.
You don't have to have it patch the game, you have the option of turning off auto updates.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Boxed PC games market 'gone by 2011'




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
ALL pc games released for the year 2011
give me some website where ALL pc games are released by this date and also other year like 2009,2010 pls no hidden games which makes the list uncomplete in releases
Gaming
Worldwide browser market share: February 2011.
Internet Explorer share surges, Firefox wanes based on new CIA data
News
Windows Live Messenger 2011 Evolves with Games Tab
Windows Live Messenger 2011 Evolves with Games Tab - Softpedia
News
Windows Gains Market Share, Mac Loses Market Share.....
Source - Windows Gains Market Share, Mac Loses Market Share, Coincidence? | Windows 7 News
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:43.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App