Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: directx11

25 Feb 2010   #1
nahahahahaha

 
 
directx11

Hi guys,i just installed farcry2 few mins ago, And i downloaded the patches and stuff etc but then i saw it said updating directx, so once it finished downloading It said i had directx11 installed when i checked dxdiag and i thought the 9800gtx+ cards cannot run it, befor that i had directx10. Is there anyway i can install directx10 again and will me having 11 make my fps drop and Stuff.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
25 Feb 2010   #2
Anthony

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

MS Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
 
 

I am sure DirectX is backward compatible! In other words your system may say DirectX 11 but your system has DirectX 10 installed!! Only if your Graphics card supports DirectX 11 will it use it!! Don't worry about it!!

Hope that makes sense
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2010   #3
nahahahahaha

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I am sure DirectX is backward compatible! In other words your system may say DirectX 11 but your system has DirectX 10 installed!! Only if your Graphics card supports DirectX 11 will it use it!! Don't worry about it!!

Hope that makes sense

Thanks for replying!, anyway on my graphic card box is says full directx10 support and says nothing about directx11, i just want to know if i should download directx10 again and install it over the 11. And if me having a directx11 on a incompatible card will damage it or something or give me low frame rates in game.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Feb 2010   #4
Anthony

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

MS Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
 
 

Your Graphics card is not DirectX 11 compatible so it cant use DirectX 11!! It will use DirectX 10!!

*Are you having problems playing the game*
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2010   #5
nahahahahaha

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Your Graphics card is not DirectX 11 compatible so it cant use DirectX 11!! It will use DirectX 10!!

*Are you having problems playing the game*

Alright, Should i go off and download directx10 again? and no im not having any problems just lower fps 40-80-90
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2010   #6
K3VL4R

Windows 7 Ultimate X64
 
 

When you install DX, it installs all DX versions 9/10/10.1/11 etc. Then it is up to the OS to decide what the OS can handle, eg. XP DX 9 Vista 10/10.1 (soon 11 with update) and Windows 7 DX 11. Then it decides which DX it will use depending on the GPU and game. It will automatically choose the highest version that the three components can all support, so you do not need to intervene at all. As said earlier though DX is backwards compatible so if you install it you are set up for all of them.

Here is the latest full installer

Download details: DirectX Redist (February 2010)

And the web updater.

Download details: DirectX End-User Runtime

Don't worry about games installing DX during game installation, that is normal as they just want you to be up to date to support their game. If you are up to date it will just overwrite the same files so it will not hurt anything letting it install DX. It is recommended to actually let it update as most people do not update DX manually that often so letting newer games install it can actually benefit you because it can keep you up to date.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2010   #7
nahahahahaha

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by K3VL4R View Post
When you install DX, it installs all DX versions 9/10/10.1/11 etc. Then it is up to the OS to decide what the OS can handle, eg. XP DX 9 Vista 10/10.1 (soon 11 with update) and Windows 7 DX 11. Then it decides which DX it will use depending on the GPU and game. It will automatically choose the highest version that the three components can all support, so you do not need to intervene at all. As said earlier though DX is backwards compatible so if you install it you are set up for all of them.

Here is the latest full installer

Download details: DirectX Redist (February 2010)

And the web updater.

Download details: DirectX End-User Runtime

Don't worry about games installing DX during game installation, that is normal as they just want you to be up to date to support their game. If you are up to date it will just overwrite the same files so it will not hurt anything letting it install DX. It is recommended to actually let it update as most people do not update DX manually that often so letting newer games install it can actually benefit you because it can keep you up to date.

AHH i see thank you, so should i download them things u gave me the 2 links? and can i install them in any order? sorry if im a pain im noob at this stuff =(
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2010   #8
K3VL4R

Windows 7 Ultimate X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nahahahahaha View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by K3VL4R View Post
When you install DX, it installs all DX versions 9/10/10.1/11 etc. Then it is up to the OS to decide what the OS can handle, eg. XP DX 9 Vista 10/10.1 (soon 11 with update) and Windows 7 DX 11. Then it decides which DX it will use depending on the GPU and game. It will automatically choose the highest version that the three components can all support, so you do not need to intervene at all. As said earlier though DX is backwards compatible so if you install it you are set up for all of them.

Here is the latest full installer

Download details: DirectX Redist (February 2010)

And the web updater.

Download details: DirectX End-User Runtime

Don't worry about games installing DX during game installation, that is normal as they just want you to be up to date to support their game. If you are up to date it will just overwrite the same files so it will not hurt anything letting it install DX. It is recommended to actually let it update as most people do not update DX manually that often so letting newer games install it can actually benefit you because it can keep you up to date.

AHH i see thank you, so should i download them things u gave me the 2 links? and can i install them in any order? sorry if im a pain im noob at this stuff =(
The first one is the full installer, recommended if you store apps on a spare drive or discs as it will save you time next time you install the OS. Otherwise you can use the updater in the second link to just update the files you need to save time.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2010   #9
nahahahahaha

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by K3VL4R View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nahahahahaha View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by K3VL4R View Post
When you install DX, it installs all DX versions 9/10/10.1/11 etc. Then it is up to the OS to decide what the OS can handle, eg. XP DX 9 Vista 10/10.1 (soon 11 with update) and Windows 7 DX 11. Then it decides which DX it will use depending on the GPU and game. It will automatically choose the highest version that the three components can all support, so you do not need to intervene at all. As said earlier though DX is backwards compatible so if you install it you are set up for all of them.

Here is the latest full installer

Download details: DirectX Redist (February 2010)

And the web updater.

Download details: DirectX End-User Runtime

Don't worry about games installing DX during game installation, that is normal as they just want you to be up to date to support their game. If you are up to date it will just overwrite the same files so it will not hurt anything letting it install DX. It is recommended to actually let it update as most people do not update DX manually that often so letting newer games install it can actually benefit you because it can keep you up to date.

AHH i see thank you, so should i download them things u gave me the 2 links? and can i install them in any order? sorry if im a pain im noob at this stuff =(
The first one is the full installer, recommended if you store apps on a spare drive or discs as it will save you time next time you install the OS. Otherwise you can use the updater in the second link to just update the files you need to save time.
i downloaded the 2nd link and i get an error

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/5686/93728485.jpg

and i dont get this " recommended if you store apps on a spare drive or discs as it will save you time next time you install the OS"
should i just go ahaead and download the 1st link and let it update.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2010   #10
smarteyeball

 
 

Install the full redist.

1st link.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 directx11




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
GPU crashes when I select Directx11 on OCCT test, but ok with directx9
Got a new GTX 770 GPU, Im getting random crashes and freezing. I ran the OCCT test. In the power supply tab, when I attempt to run it with directx 9 it has no problem.. But when i choose directx 11 and run it, after 2seconds the GPU freeze with a buzzing sound coming from the speaker and the...
Graphic Cards
Will GeForce 9400 GT support Directx11 in near future?
Thanks in advance
Graphic Cards


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:50.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App