Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: AOE2 on Windows 7

26 Apr 2010   #1
zulubase

Windows 7Pro
 
 
AOE2 on Windows 7

Having upgraded to a new computer with Win7Pro & XPvirtual(installed) with 500GB hdd & 2GB RAM & advised that AOE2/3 & Expansions(all which played perfectly on WinXPhome) would play fine on Win7, but doesn't(even on XPvirtual) When I load AOE2 I get "Could not initialize graphics system. Make sure that your video card and driver are compatible with DirectDraw"
The MBoard Spec below seems to indicate the onboard graphics are more than able to cope, the color as the game tries to initiate is fuzzy with odd red dots!
Have DirectX vs 9 installed & have increased the UMA Frame Buffer size to 32mb, tried 64mb?
The Age of Mythology works fine on Win7

M4A785G HTPC Series specifications summary
CPU:AMD®AM3/AM2÷/AM2 PhenomTM II /Athlon Ill
PhenomrM /AthIonTM /SempronTM Processors
AMD 45nm CPU support
AMD Cool’n’QuietTM Technology
CHIPSET: AMD 785G / SB71O
SYSTEM BUS: Up to 5200 MT/s; HyperTransporttM 3.0 interface for
AM3 /AM2+ CPU
2000 / 1600 MT/s for AM2 CPU

MEMORY: Dual-channel memory architecture
- 4 x 240-pin DIMM sockets support unbufferred ECC / non-ECC DDR2 1 200(O.C)* /1066* / 800 /
667 MHz memory modules
- Supports up to 16GB system memory
* Due to AMD® CPU limitation, DDR2 1200/1 066 are supported by AM3 / AM2+ CPUs for one DIMM per channel only. Refer to www.asus.coi or this user manual for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).
** Due to OS limitation, when installing total memory of 4GB capacity or more, Windows 32-bit operation system may only recognize less than 3GB. Hence, a total installed memory of less than 3GB is recommended.
GRAPHICS: Integrated ATI RadeonTM HD 4200 GPU
- Supports HDMIM Technology with max. resolution up to 1920 x 1200 (1080P)
- Supports Dual-link DVI with max. resolution up to 2560 x 1600 @60Hz
- Supports D-Sub with max. resolution up to 2560 x 1440 @ 75Hz for 16:9 format
- Hybrid CrossFireXTM support
- Dual independent displays support with HDMI / DVI and D-Sub)
- Supports Microsoft DirectX 10.1, OpenGL2.0, Pixel Shader 4.0
- Hardware Decode Acceleration for H.264, VC-1, and MPEG-2
- Maximum shared memory of 512MB
EXPANSION SLOTS: 1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 slot
2 x PCIe xl slots
1 x PCI 2.2 slot


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
28 Apr 2010   #2
Wallonn7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zulubase View Post
Having upgraded to a new computer with Win7Pro & XPvirtual(installed) with 500GB hdd & 2GB RAM & advised that AOE2/3 & Expansions(all which played perfectly on WinXPhome) would play fine on Win7, but doesn't(even on XPvirtual) When I load AOE2 I get "Could not initialize graphics system. Make sure that your video card and driver are compatible with DirectDraw"
The MBoard Spec below seems to indicate the onboard graphics are more than able to cope, the color as the game tries to initiate is fuzzy with odd red dots!
Have DirectX vs 9 installed & have increased the UMA Frame Buffer size to 32mb, tried 64mb?
The Age of Mythology works fine on Win7

M4A785G HTPC Series specifications summary
CPU:AMD®AM3/AM2÷/AM2 PhenomTM II /Athlon Ill
PhenomrM /AthIonTM /SempronTM Processors
AMD 45nm CPU support
AMD Cool’n’QuietTM Technology
CHIPSET: AMD 785G / SB71O
SYSTEM BUS: Up to 5200 MT/s; HyperTransporttM 3.0 interface for
AM3 /AM2+ CPU
2000 / 1600 MT/s for AM2 CPU

MEMORY: Dual-channel memory architecture
- 4 x 240-pin DIMM sockets support unbufferred ECC / non-ECC DDR2 1 200(O.C)* /1066* / 800 /
667 MHz memory modules
- Supports up to 16GB system memory
* Due to AMD® CPU limitation, DDR2 1200/1 066 are supported by AM3 / AM2+ CPUs for one DIMM per channel only. Refer to www.asus.coi or this user manual for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).
** Due to OS limitation, when installing total memory of 4GB capacity or more, Windows 32-bit operation system may only recognize less than 3GB. Hence, a total installed memory of less than 3GB is recommended.
GRAPHICS: Integrated ATI RadeonTM HD 4200 GPU
- Supports HDMIM Technology with max. resolution up to 1920 x 1200 (1080P)
- Supports Dual-link DVI with max. resolution up to 2560 x 1600 @60Hz
- Supports D-Sub with max. resolution up to 2560 x 1440 @ 75Hz for 16:9 format
- Hybrid CrossFireXTM support
- Dual independent displays support with HDMI / DVI and D-Sub)
- Supports Microsoft DirectX 10.1, OpenGL2.0, Pixel Shader 4.0
- Hardware Decode Acceleration for H.264, VC-1, and MPEG-2
- Maximum shared memory of 512MB
EXPANSION SLOTS: 1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 slot
2 x PCIe xl slots
1 x PCI 2.2 slot
Be welcome to Seven Forums.

First of all, you'll need to update and / or correct pc system spec. To do it, download and install Speccy from here >
http://download.piriform.com/spsetup101.exe
What ATI Catalyst driver version is installed on?! If you dont know, click on Catalyst Control Center - next to Windows clock - and open it. Now on Info Center, just like the attach file. Is that version?! If not, update it here:
Windows 32bit
https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206...cc_wdm_enu.exe
Windows 64bit https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206...cc_wdm_enu.exe

Let us know the results!


"PLEASE REP ANYONE WHO HELPS YOU"


Attached Images
AOE2 on Windows 7-capturar.jpg 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 May 2010   #3
zulubase

Windows 7Pro
 
 

I downloaded/installed the latest Catalyst Control centre update, but it didn't help, the color was fuzzy once again, perhaps I need a video card after all, many thanks all the same for your interest
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 May 2010   #4
Crispy

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Service Pack 1 (Build 6.1.7601)
 
 

Make sure that your DirectX is up to date.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 May 2010   #5
Wallonn7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zulubase View Post
I downloaded/installed the latest Catalyst Control centre update, but it didn't help, the color was fuzzy once again, perhaps I need a video card after all, many thanks all the same for your interest
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
Make sure that your DirectX is up to date.
... And you can download it here: Download details: DirectX Redist (February 2010)

Let us know the results.

"PLEASE REP ANYONE WHO HELPS YOU"
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 May 2010   #6
zulubase

Windows 7Pro
 
 

according to Run/dxdiag, I have DirectX 11, have also been advised of the following from the AOE3 forum:
Age 3 does not support integrated graphics chips. Even though that card is powerful enough to run the game at full graphics, the way that an integrated graphics card works, Age3 cannot be run on it.
AOE2 probably doesn't work so well for the same reason, but at least(unlike AOE3) it will play, even though the color is fuzzy - perhaps a video is necessary after all? many thanks for your interest....


My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 May 2010   #7
Wallonn7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zulubase View Post
according to Run/dxdiag, I have DirectX 11, have also been advised of the following from the AOE3 forum:
Age 3 does not support integrated graphics chips. Even though that card is powerful enough to run the game at full graphics, the way that an integrated graphics card works, Age3 cannot be run on it.
AOE2 probably doesn't work so well for the same reason, but at least(unlike AOE3) it will play, even though the color is fuzzy - perhaps a video is necessary after all? many thanks for your interest....


They must be kidding... I'll shut up now so as not to say everything I think about such explanations... but know that I am very upset because we can not solve your problem.
Maybe it's time to consider buying a video card... Better luck next time!

"PLEASE REP ANYONE WHO HELPS YOU"
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 May 2010   #8
severedsolo

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

but... i have AOE3 on my PC and it has integrated graphics (Nvidia) and it works fine
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 May 2010   #9
Wallonn7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by severedsolo View Post
but... i have AOE3 on my PC and it has integrated graphics (Nvidia) and it works fine
So we can breath again!
Severedsolo, thanks for coming and giving us such good news!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 May 2010   #10
zulubase

Windows 7Pro
 
 

potentially good news, but why can't AOE3 play on my machine, is there some huge difference between my MB/Intergrated graphics, but thanks for your replies
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 AOE2 on Windows 7




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Serious AOE2 server problem!
Hi all. I am having a serious problem with AOE2 server running on Windows 7 build 7000. When a server is made (on TCP/IP or LAN) something very strange happens to every computer on my network, namely, all internet seems to lag then stop working. Google seems to funnily enough work still, but any...
Gaming
Several issues (aoe2, ra3, steam)
Basically I can't get age of empires 2: the conquerer's, red alert 3, or steam to install correctly. im running windows 7 build 7000 x86. oh, and sorry in advance if these have already been answered, i looked as best i could through the forums beforehand. aoe2 will play, but the colors are all...
Gaming


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:03.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App