Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: EA Sports to charge $10 to play used games online

14 May 2010   #31
Luckystar

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RTM + SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kucing13 View Post
well console gaming have a higher defense on piracy i suppose. Thats why they push pc gamers into console gaming

This is true in some rspect. But there are ways around that.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
14 May 2010   #32
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Seven Eleven View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kucing13 View Post
well console gaming have a higher defense on piracy i suppose. Thats why they push pc gamers into console gaming
they can push all they want, but pc gfx card, cpu, mb manufacturers will not let it happen. console hardware market is non-existent comparing to pc.
I'm not sure that I would say "non-existent". I'm a pc gamer (albeit not much of one these days)...but I also own a console (xbox360). I've enjoyed my console very much. With the console I don't worry about 1). compatibility 2). upgrades to my hardware 3). hard drive space 4). having to seclude myself to the basement away from my family to play my games. And coupled with the advantage of not having to worry about whether my console is capable of playing the latest games at an acceptable frame rate....i'm also at ease with the fact that compared to my PC gaming components that console is pretty darn cheap. And also makes a nice media streamer and netflix streaming device in my living room without adding a HTPC.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 May 2010   #33
Seven Eleven

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
I'm not sure that I would say "non-existent". I'm a pc gamer (albeit not much of one these days)...but I also own a console (xbox360). I've enjoyed my console very much. With the console I don't worry about 1). compatibility 2). upgrades to my hardware 3). hard drive space 4). having to seclude myself to the basement away from my family to play my games. And coupled with the advantage of not having to worry about whether my console is capable of playing the latest games at an acceptable frame rate....i'm also at ease with the fact that compared to my PC gaming components that console is pretty darn cheap. And also makes a nice media streamer and netflix streaming device in my living room without adding a HTPC.
i'm talking about pc upgrade cycle. pc hardware manufacturers live from that. and what drives it mostly? games.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 May 2010   #34
Fumz

7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Fumz View Post

When you purchase a used game EA still gets its cut
Not always. Private sales and the majority of stores do not pass any payment onwards.


It's the same as if you buy a second hand car. No profit is passed back on to the car manufacturer.


At any rate, Evil Arts can bite it.
True, EA doesn't get a cut off private sales, but I'm still unclear where there's been any "theft"?

This is greed, plain and simple. That copy of the game has already brought EA exactly what it wanted and expected in terms of payment... any and all "online fees" were made the day of initial purchase... that "other fingers" are doing the movements seems so irrelevant.

.. and yes, EA can bite it!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 May 2010   #35
Richardc269

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit
 
 

There's no way in the 9 levels of hell I'd EVER trade my PC for a console. I don't like consoles and I wouldn't use one anyway.

As for having to "pay to play"? Hell no. I only want to buy it once from the store, not pay some monthly price just for a game. It's why I refuse to play WoW.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2010   #36
mpcrsc562

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Richardc269 View Post
I disagree with you. I think Steam is another bull$hit program. I seriously don't want to have to install my games through a 3rd party program instead of the Windows installer, just to "activate" my game with a valid cd-key. This is yet another company that cares more about their money than their customers.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Richardc269 View Post
I myself, hate the fact that with every game I own, I'm required to put my stupid cd into the cd-rom drive, just to play a single game. It's annoying, ridiculous, and simply put, just plain retarded in the first place. Every time you have to put in a cd, you have the chance of dropping it, scratching it, and ruining it, no matter how organized, patient, level-headed, or plain just have good hand skills. You'll sooner or later, ruin the cd. Then what? You gotta buy a new one. And that means more money for the gaming company simply because they don't add any protections to the cd's they produce for their games. I have had to go through countless cd's for my games simply because I drop them by accident, and have to pick them up. I'm not willing to buy another copy because I accidentally dropped it countless times.
I know I'm off topic, but don't these two paragraphs seem kind of at odds with each other? It is all within your right to disagree with me--but for the very same reason why you don't like physical discs is the very same reason Steam is so good.

I buy the game once and have access to it on every single pc I own--without any disc to load the games. And to further that point, if I had discs to install games, then installing that game on another computer is not allowed--one active install allowed at any given time.

My Windows 7 PC... Steam with all of my games. My Vista PC... Steam with all of my games. My XP PC... Steam with all of my games. Hmmm... All of my PCs have Steam therefore all of my PCs have all of my games. I don't have to miss a beat on whichever PC I'm on!

Download Steam = access to all of my games on all of my PCs. What's so bad about that? So you have to install a program to access your games... According to your own words you don't like discs as they have the tendency to get damaged. Discs only allow one active install at any given time. So, what's so wrong with Steam?

I'm thru... Sorry Lordbob

Oh, I forgot... If I ever fell down, busted my head open and lost my good senses and decided to by a Mac , then I could still download Steam and have access to my games!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2010   #37
Seven Eleven

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mpcrsc562 View Post
I know I'm off topic, but don't these two paragraphs seem kind of at odds with each other? It is all within your right to disagree with me--but for the very same reason why you don't like physical discs is the very same reason Steam is so good.

I buy the game once and have access to it on every single pc I own--without any disc to load the games. And to further that point, if I had discs to install games, then installing that game on another computer is not allowed--one active install allowed at any given time.

My Windows 7 PC... Steam with all of my games. My Vista PC... Steam with all of my games. My XP PC... Steam with all of my games. Hmmm... All of my PCs have Steam therefore all of my PCs have all of my games. I don't have to miss a beat on whichever PC I'm on!

Download Steam = access to all of my games on all of my PCs. What's so bad about that? So you have to install a program to access your games... According to your own words you don't like discs as they have the tendency to get damaged. Discs only allow one active install at any given time. So, what's so wrong with Steam?

I'm thru... Sorry Lordbob

Oh, I forgot... If I ever fell down, busted my head open and lost my good senses and decided to by a Mac , then I could still download Steam and have access to my games!
quoted for truth. Steam is great. i don't need no backups, update backups and no-cd cracks it just works. it even saves game settings to Steam Cloud. how awesome is that?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2010   #38
smarteyeball

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Seven Eleven View Post
quoted for truth. Steam is great. i don't need no backups, update backups and no-cd cracks it just works. it even saves game settings to Steam Cloud. how awesome is that?

I don't use steam, so I can't speak from experience - but going by anecdotal evidence, I've heard plenty of people complain about Steam just not working.

Steam versions of some titles take longer for game fixing patches, horrible download speeds, failed downloads at X% requiring a complete start from the beginning, Non-US customers getting ripped off pricing wise etc
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2010   #39
Seven Eleven

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
I don't use steam, so I can't speak from experience - but going by anecdotal evidence, I've heard plenty of people complain about Steam just not working.

Steam versions of some titles take longer for game fixing patches, horrible download speeds, failed downloads at X% requiring a complete start from the beginning, Non-US customers getting ripped off pricing wise etc
i agree that for some games patches take longer to deploy on Steam. i live in Europe so yeah prices here are little too high. basically i pay the same amount but in euros.

haven't experienced other things that you have mentioned, though.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2010   #40
Richardc269

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mpcrsc562 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Richardc269 View Post
I disagree with you. I think Steam is another bull$hit program. I seriously don't want to have to install my games through a 3rd party program instead of the Windows installer, just to "activate" my game with a valid cd-key. This is yet another company that cares more about their money than their customers.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Richardc269 View Post
I myself, hate the fact that with every game I own, I'm required to put my stupid cd into the cd-rom drive, just to play a single game. It's annoying, ridiculous, and simply put, just plain retarded in the first place. Every time you have to put in a cd, you have the chance of dropping it, scratching it, and ruining it, no matter how organized, patient, level-headed, or plain just have good hand skills. You'll sooner or later, ruin the cd. Then what? You gotta buy a new one. And that means more money for the gaming company simply because they don't add any protections to the cd's they produce for their games. I have had to go through countless cd's for my games simply because I drop them by accident, and have to pick them up. I'm not willing to buy another copy because I accidentally dropped it countless times.
I know I'm off topic, but don't these two paragraphs seem kind of at odds with each other? It is all within your right to disagree with me--but for the very same reason why you don't like physical discs is the very same reason Steam is so good.

I buy the game once and have access to it on every single pc I own--without any disc to load the games. And to further that point, if I had discs to install games, then installing that game on another computer is not allowed--one active install allowed at any given time.

My Windows 7 PC... Steam with all of my games. My Vista PC... Steam with all of my games. My XP PC... Steam with all of my games. Hmmm... All of my PCs have Steam therefore all of my PCs have all of my games. I don't have to miss a beat on whichever PC I'm on!

Download Steam = access to all of my games on all of my PCs. What's so bad about that? So you have to install a program to access your games... According to your own words you don't like discs as they have the tendency to get damaged. Discs only allow one active install at any given time. So, what's so wrong with Steam?

I'm thru... Sorry Lordbob

Oh, I forgot... If I ever fell down, busted my head open and lost my good senses and decided to by a Mac , then I could still download Steam and have access to my games!
This is the reason why I don't ever want Steam. As if I really want to have to activate my games through friggen Steam just to make sure it's a real key. Oh yeah, lovely. More annoying than anything else. And even then, some games on Steam only allow you to install it once, and what if you gotta format your drive? Oh, that's right, you often have to buy another game, simply because they don't let you reinstall the game onto the same computer, even though it has the same hardware. Yeah, lovely program. Thanks, but no thanks. I'll stick with my games that won't go through that awful program. If the games I get say it needs Steam at the store, I just say "forget it" and put it back on the shelf.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 EA Sports to charge $10 to play used games online




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
BSOD 0x000000e1 and 4a others after play online games
So about a month ago I updated my graphics card to play secret world and since then my screen would pixelate then crash sometimes from playing it. Well yesterday I downloaded might quest for epic loot and my game crashed a few more times. I decided to turn my graphics card back to default settings...
BSOD Help and Support
different BOSDs, it occur often when i play games online
Hi, since two months i get different BOSD for example, usb_driver error or driver_less or not equal. my last BOSD looked like this: stop: 0x000000c5 (0x0c000205, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x82f2687b) I have the .dmp file (081812-45599-01.dmp) winzipped
BSOD Help and Support
i cannot play online games :'(
Problem signature: Problem Event Name: AppHangB1 Application Name: ApexProgress.dat Application Version: 0.0.0.0 Application Timestamp: 4ddb08e5 Hang Signature: 2e3b Hang Type: 0 OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1 Locale ID: 17417 Additional Hang Signature...
BSOD Help and Support
i cannot play online games :'(
Problem signature: Problem Event Name: AppHangB1 Application Name: ApexProgress.dat Application Version: 0.0.0.0 Application Timestamp: 4ddb08e5 Hang Signature: 2e3b Hang Type: 0 OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1 Locale ID: 17417 Additional Hang Signature...
Gaming
Ten Awesome Free-to-Play Online Games
Read more: Ten Awesome Free-to-Play Online Games - PCWorld
Gaming
Internet speeds seem fine but cant play online games :S
Right got a major problem done speed test and they come out fine to me but as soon as i go online on a game my pings jumping around like mad and its just unplay able. Ive rang o2 up so many times this week its unbelivable they've changed me to a static ip, and changed all sorts yet no improvement...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:36.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App