Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Free copy of Portal for everyone until May 24

12 May 2010   #11
Dark Nova Gamer

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WindowsStar View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
Downloaded, installed, played, and beat. It only takes 3 hours to do it.
Was it worth it? I don't want to download if it is not.
I got it downloaded and installed. I like it, its a good time passer. Its free, so why not?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
12 May 2010   #12
WindowsStar

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkNovaGamer View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WindowsStar View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
Downloaded, installed, played, and beat. It only takes 3 hours to do it.
Was it worth it? I don't want to download if it is not.
I got it downloaded and installed. I like it, its a good time passer. Its free, so why not?
What does it install besides the game? I am installing steam on a trash box just to download. Then I want to transfer the game to a real machine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 May 2010   #13
Product FRED

Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit
 
 

I have the Portal: The First Slice. Thank you SO much for this. I wouldn't have noticed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 May 2010   #14
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WindowsStar View Post
What does it install besides the game? I am installing steam on a trash box just to download. Then I want to transfer the game to a real machine.
Yeah, I assume, you'll be installing the steam client app with the game. And I say assume because I already have the game from the Orange Box, (includes HL2 - Episode 2, Team Fortress 2 and Portal), and in order to install and play those games Steam had to be installed. At any rate you won't have to worry about Steam putting anything funky on your machine. It's just a game distribution system.

Steam is a digital game distribution system as well as a digital rights management, multiplayer and communications platform developed by Valve. It is used to distribute a large number of games and related media entirely over the internet, including automated updates.

BTW Portal is an awsome puzzle based game
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 May 2010   #15
WindowsStar

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WindowsStar View Post
What does it install besides the game? I am installing steam on a trash box just to download. Then I want to transfer the game to a real machine.
Yeah, I assume, you'll be installing the steam client app with the game. And I say assume because I already have the game from the Orange Box, (includes HL2 - Episode 2, Team Fortress 2 and Portal), and in order to install and play those games Steam had to be installed. At any rate you won't have to worry about Steam putting anything funky on your machine. It's just a game distribution system.

Steam is a digital game distribution system as well as a digital rights management, multiplayer and communications platform developed by Valve. It is used to distribute a large number of games and related media entirely over the internet, including automated updates.

BTW Portal is an awsome puzzle based game
Am I able to download on the Steam box, but install on a NON-Steam box??
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 May 2010   #16
Dark Nova Gamer

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WindowsStar View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WindowsStar View Post
What does it install besides the game? I am installing steam on a trash box just to download. Then I want to transfer the game to a real machine.
Yeah, I assume, you'll be installing the steam client app with the game. And I say assume because I already have the game from the Orange Box, (includes HL2 - Episode 2, Team Fortress 2 and Portal), and in order to install and play those games Steam had to be installed. At any rate you won't have to worry about Steam putting anything funky on your machine. It's just a game distribution system.

Steam is a digital game distribution system as well as a digital rights management, multiplayer and communications platform developed by Valve. It is used to distribute a large number of games and related media entirely over the internet, including automated updates.

BTW Portal is an awsome puzzle based game
Am I able to download on the Steam box, but install on a NON-Steam box??
You can only install Steam games if you have Steam on the machine. You CAN backup the game files, but they are only usable with Steam.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 May 2010   #17
WindowsStar

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

Thanks, DarkNovaGamer
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 May 2010   #18
Dark Nova Gamer

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WindowsStar View Post
Thanks, DarkNovaGamer
My personal opinion is,

I dislike having programs install that I do not 'need' to have installed. Stuff like CCleaner and whatnot I tend to find portable versions.

I truly find Steam to be intrusive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 May 2010   #19
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkNovaGamer View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WindowsStar View Post
Am I able to download on the Steam box, but install on a NON-Steam box??
You can only install Steam games if you have Steam on the machine. You CAN backup the game files, but they are only usable with Steam.
Yeah, What he said
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 May 2010   #20
WindowsStar

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkNovaGamer View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WindowsStar View Post
Thanks, DarkNovaGamer
My personal opinion is,

I dislike having programs install that I do not 'need' to have installed. Stuff like CCleaner and whatnot I tend to find portable versions.

I truly find Steam to be intrusive.
+1 and that is why I will not be installing. If I could install on a trash machine, download, and then install somewhere else then maybe, but to be forced to install something. Not for me.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Free copy of Portal for everyone until May 24




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How many of you got a free copy of Windows 7 Ultimate ?
Back in 09 before win7 launched a company called House Party was involved with Microsoft and gave away Windows 7 house Party kits that included decorations, cards, bags, ballons, and some other items as well as a Signature Copy of Windows 7 Ultimate. I got one of the kits for my "House Party",...
Chillout Room
Portal is free on Steam!
more...
Gaming
Free copy of DVD Fab - Today only!
DVD Fab is featured today on Give Away of the Day: Giveaway of the Day - free licensed software daily. Today: DVDFab DVD Copy - DVDFab DVD Copy is the most powerful and flexible DVD copying/burning software which can copy and backup any DVD with ... DVD Fab is great for ripping all sorts of...
Software
Free copy of Portal for everyone until May 24
In celebrating the launch of Steam for Mac today, Valve Software has put out an enticing promotional campaign differing from their usual free weekends for content pack updates to their other games, such as Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead. This time, they will offer Portal for free, for everyone...
Gaming
People born on 7-7-77 how about a FREE copy
Hi all just a suggestion to Brink's piece of news about zevenhuizen in NL. What about 777 free copies to the first 777 people with birthdays 7-7-77 who sign in to MS to claim them Anybody in Marketing -- think it would be a great idea and would cost MS relly nothing. Cheers jimbo
Chillout Room
Win a Free Copy of Windows 7 Ultimate
Source https://www.sevenforums.com/news/13057-win-free-copy-windows-7-ultimate.html
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:45.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App