Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Free copy of Portal for everyone until May 24

13 May 2010   #31
hybridfan

Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)
 
 

I'm sure it will be downloading slow because of the mass appeal of it being free, I got it ages ago when I bought the magnificent Orange Box. Well worth getting


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
13 May 2010   #32
robertwallace

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Steam loads a little app when Windows starts. If you don't like it, go to the options and turn it off and you'll never know it's on your machine.

I'm of the same opinion as most of the posters so far. Don't put unnecessary stuff on my machine. I used to grit my teeth, and let Steam install so I could play Half-Live, and the follow-ups. After the game was done, I'd uninstall Steam.

After a few years, Steam bothered me less and less. As a few others have mentioned, it's very good at keeping you game up-to-date, or letting you download a previously purchased/registered game onto any machine you have in front of you. It also has a Social Network thing going - not something I'm interested in, but it's certainly not pushed on you.

Now I keep Steam installed, but turned off when I'm not playing a Steam game. When I'm ready to play, I click on the Steam icon and fire up the game. It certainly beats digging around for the "Must be in drive to play" CD or DVD that most games make you go through. And there aren't any copy-protection trojans installed either -- unlike some games I will not mention.

Oh - Don't forget to sit through the end credits for Portal. You will be rewarded!

Robert
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 May 2010   #33
holo88

Windows 7 Ultimate x32
 
 

This was a triumph..... They're just gearing up for the recent mac influx. If they give away a game, then people will be more inclined to play other valve titles. That and, Portal 2 (zomgfu**yes) is on its way later this year. Classic (brilliant) valve marketing .

PLAY PORTAL NAOW. (its awesome)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 May 2010   #34
Product FRED

Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit
 
 

You don't need to download it just yet if you don't want to, but "reserve" yourself a copy. If you visit the web page on the first page of this thread and click "Install Game" after you sign in, it will show up in Steam but will not download until you tell it to. Since it now shows up as a purchased game, you can download it whenever you want, wherever you want, and however many times as you want, on multiple PCs and multiple Macs if you wish.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 May 2010   #35
harpua

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (Retail)
 
 

When I fired up Portal, I couldn't see my mouse cursor at all. Kind of made it impossible to do anything. I'm using a Logitech mouse.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 May 2010   #36
blackroseMD1

Windows 10 Tech Preview 9926 x64
 
 

Finally am able to download it since the hotel I'm in has some seriously kickass internet. I've heard a lot about this game...never played it though. Thanks for the heads up Steve.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 May 2010   #37
macgyver2

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

downloaded it in less then an hour but am stuck on level 15, not sure if my laptop isn't fast enough or I can't get my mouse to move fast enough but I can't pass the wall like I should. Great little game to make you think though.

I did watch a video of hows its done and even still can't get my laptop to respond fast enough I guess.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 May 2010   #38
Dark Nova Gamer

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by macgyver2 View Post
downloaded it in less then an hour but am stuck on level 15, not sure if my laptop isn't fast enough or I can't get my mouse to move fast enough but I can't pass the wall like I should. Great little game to make you think though.

I did watch a video of hows its done and even still can't get my laptop to respond fast enough I guess.
I've yet to progress past that level as well.

Will likely try it again later on though.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 May 2010   #39
Product FRED

Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkNovaGamer View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by macgyver2 View Post
downloaded it in less then an hour but am stuck on level 15, not sure if my laptop isn't fast enough or I can't get my mouse to move fast enough but I can't pass the wall like I should. Great little game to make you think though.

I did watch a video of hows its done and even still can't get my laptop to respond fast enough I guess.
I've yet to progress past that level as well.

Will likely try it again later on though.
Is that the one where you have to lunge over the wall, through the "shield" of plasma? You have to make an infinite portal (portal in the ceiling and portal under you) to gain speed, then try your best to shoot the "platform" sticking out of the wall so you fly over. I did it on a laptop, so it's doable.

You can also use "noclip" after you enable cheats (sv_cheats 1), but that's a cheater's tactic and you won't gain achievements until you close and reopen the game. Another cool thing I found is that you can spawn Half-Life 2 weapons and NPCs if you own Half-Life 2. For example, "npc_create npc_zombie" will create a standard zombie. "impulse 101" will give you the 2nd portal-launcher as well as Half-Life 2 weapons.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 May 2010   #40
Dark Nova Gamer

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Product FRED View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkNovaGamer View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by macgyver2 View Post
downloaded it in less then an hour but am stuck on level 15, not sure if my laptop isn't fast enough or I can't get my mouse to move fast enough but I can't pass the wall like I should. Great little game to make you think though.

I did watch a video of hows its done and even still can't get my laptop to respond fast enough I guess.
I've yet to progress past that level as well.

Will likely try it again later on though.
Is that the one where you have to lunge over the wall, through the "shield" of plasma? You have to make an infinite portal (portal in the ceiling and portal under you) to gain speed, then try your best to shoot the "platform" sticking out of the wall so you fly over. I did it on a laptop, so it's doable.

You can also use "noclip" after you enable cheats (sv_cheats 1), but that's a cheater's tactic and you won't gain achievements until you close and reopen the game. Another cool thing I found is that you can spawn Half-Life 2 weapons and NPCs if you own Half-Life 2. For example, "npc_create npc_zombie" will create a standard zombie. "impulse 101" will give you the 2nd portal-launcher as well as Half-Life 2 weapons.
Never used Steam prior to Portal's temporary freeness.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Free copy of Portal for everyone until May 24




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How many of you got a free copy of Windows 7 Ultimate ?
Back in 09 before win7 launched a company called House Party was involved with Microsoft and gave away Windows 7 house Party kits that included decorations, cards, bags, ballons, and some other items as well as a Signature Copy of Windows 7 Ultimate. I got one of the kits for my "House Party",...
Chillout Room
Portal is free on Steam!
more...
Gaming
Free copy of DVD Fab - Today only!
DVD Fab is featured today on Give Away of the Day: Giveaway of the Day - free licensed software daily. Today: DVDFab DVD Copy - DVDFab DVD Copy is the most powerful and flexible DVD copying/burning software which can copy and backup any DVD with ... DVD Fab is great for ripping all sorts of...
Software
Free copy of Portal for everyone until May 24
In celebrating the launch of Steam for Mac today, Valve Software has put out an enticing promotional campaign differing from their usual free weekends for content pack updates to their other games, such as Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead. This time, they will offer Portal for free, for everyone...
Gaming
People born on 7-7-77 how about a FREE copy
Hi all just a suggestion to Brink's piece of news about zevenhuizen in NL. What about 777 free copies to the first 777 people with birthdays 7-7-77 who sign in to MS to claim them Anybody in Marketing -- think it would be a great idea and would cost MS relly nothing. Cheers jimbo
Chillout Room
Win a Free Copy of Windows 7 Ultimate
Source https://www.sevenforums.com/news/13057-win-free-copy-windows-7-ultimate.html
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:31.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App