Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: can i disable ReadyBoost ?

03 Aug 2010   #21
esteban

7 Ultimate, Debian Squeeze, #! Statler
 
 

I'm sorry, but that's horrible advice. There are so many extra services that the average, or even advanced, user doesn't need that letting them have any sort of activity is just ridiculous. Do I have a server? Do I encrypt my drives? Do I have a HomeGroup? Do I have any Bluetooth devices? No, so why should I enable any of those services?

@stereo: Read a little about the Superfetch service, and see if you are ok with disabling everything it does. If so, go ahead and do it.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
03 Aug 2010   #22
ryo

 
 

i'm not agree with you.
it's ok if you don't want to use the service.
but if you just think that's the service is not use..so the simple think,for what you use the OS win 7??
other services have function, and that's is the feature of the OS. if you don't want the service so you can run on windows 95 or other one. that's it.
and the other point is, not all services you can disable, that's have the effect.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Aug 2010   #23
Greg S

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by esteban View Post
I'm sorry, but that's horrible advice. There are so many extra services that the average, or even advanced, user doesn't need that letting them have any sort of activity is just ridiculous. Do I have a server? Do I encrypt my drives? Do I have a HomeGroup? Do I have any Bluetooth devices? No, so why should I enable any of those services?
.
Contrary to popular belief, No. But, in agreement with most here, some services are set to manual and never see the light of day or if they do they're shutdown fairly quick. Personally, I don't care it's my comp and I disabled quite a few with no ill effects. If you want to experiment, firstly have some sort of backup/image in place or an ISR app for quick restore or at the very least write down the default setting for a service. BlackVipre used to be the go to on this type of stuff but again, personally I don't like it either. Another contrary to popular belief, don't rely on a registry backup/export/import. Personal expreince is they don't work well.

can i disable ReadyBoost ?-untitled.jpg


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Aug 2010   #24
esteban

7 Ultimate, Debian Squeeze, #! Statler
 
 

Well, all I can say is that I've disabled plenty of services in XP and 7 and have never experienced anything bad, or at the very least unfixable. One of those services is Superfetch, for what it's worth.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Aug 2010   #25
unifex

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)
 
 

Here's my two cents:

1. ReadyBoost is actually helpful if you can't install more RAM. If you can, then RAM would be the way to go.

2. If you do not use ReadyBoost, then you don't. There is no reason to disable it at all. If you think that your USB drive is being used that way against your will, just go to settings as described in this thread and disable the possibility for this device to be used for ReadyBoost.

3. It is clear that disabling services will not gain you any advantage.

4. It's true that there are some services that your PC is not going to use. Good examples are smart card services, tabletPC services, bluetooth, and so on - if you do not have these devices, then these services are not needed. I do disable them, but basically out of paranoia. Same way I disable Remote Desktop and other remote features I know I will never use. This causes no problems I am aware of. At the same time this also does not gain any other advantage besides satisfying my paranoia.

5. I would not recommend disabling any service (such as Superfetch) which is actually used by the system. Same way, don't disable everything that says Remote - some of them are actually important.

6. Finally, I repeat what many said before - Windows 7 works well out of the box. One gains nothing by fiddling with it, but one may run into trouble. As the old saying goes - if it ain't broken, don't fix it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Aug 2010   #26
esteban

7 Ultimate, Debian Squeeze, #! Statler
 
 

More like, if it ain't broken, back everything up and see what you can do to make it better.

One gains understanding by fiddling with it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Aug 2010   #27
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by esteban View Post
Well, all I can say is that I've disabled plenty of services in XP and 7 and have never experienced anything bad, or at the very least unfixable. One of those services is Superfetch, for what it's worth.
And you tell others that we are giving horrible advice? If you did any reading on what SuperFetch is and does...you'd NEVER disable it.

As for your other points, I can't even begin to describe the flaws in your logic. I've never been struck by lightning, but that doesn't mean it is safe to run through a field during a storm holding up a golf club.

My point being, what you want to do with your own personal system is your business, but ignoring all logic and good computing practices and being lucky to escape any issues...doesn't mean that you should be telling others to do so.

My suggestion, go do some reading on services, especially SuperFetch. Here's a quick hint to get you started...those services you feel can be disabled because you aren't using them....aren't in use anyway. An example would be the "tweak in XP to disable wireless zero config service". Many people would disable this, saying it isn't needed because they don't have any wireless adapters. Guess what? It wasn't running anyway, even though it was set to enabled. Simple research brings you facts.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by esteban View Post
More like, if it ain't broken, back everything up and see what you can do to make it better.

One gains understanding by fiddling with it.
Absolutely, but that's what test systems and VMs are for. Furthermore, if you want to fiddle, go for it...but you HAVE to understand you can't go giving bad advice to others on their main, everyday systems. That's where you need to separate your own fiddling with advice you give others.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Aug 2010   #28
esteban

7 Ultimate, Debian Squeeze, #! Statler
 
 

Your argument is, "If it's not in use, why disable it?" Mine is, "If it's not in use, why leave it enabled?" I hope you see that this debate can't be resolved, and as such I'm not going to continue after this.

And so you know, I DID read about SuperFetch. Don't assume I didn't. Just as you probably know a lot more about computers than I give you credit for, I know more than you give me credit for.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Aug 2010   #29
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by esteban View Post
Your argument is, "If it's not in use, why disable it?" Mine is, "If it's not in use, why leave it enabled?"
Because it isn't in used, and therefore, acts as if it is disabled. The only difference is...should that service ever be needed down the road, you won't have any issues if you simply leave it alone. If you disable it, and it is needed, you have an issue. Add in the fact there's nothing to be gained (proven for years) by disabling it...it becomes common sense.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by esteban View Post
I hope you see that this debate can't be resolved.
It's been resolved....a few years ago. Ever hear the term QuackViper? If so, google it. That's what lead to the "debate" and then the resolution that disabling unneeded services is pointless.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by esteban View Post
Just as you probably know a lot more about computers than I give you credit for, I know more than you give me credit for.
If this is true, then I'd expect your advice to prove it. I could post all kinds of stats about my experience, length of time working professionally in the computer field, who I worked for the past, etc, but all of that doesn't matter on a forum board. All that does matter is common sense and accuracy with advice. Fact is, disabling unneeded services is/was old news, and has been refuted several years ago. All you are doing is increasing your chance of an unstable system. It is common sense once you do the appropriate reading. If you want me to believe you read about SuperFetch, don't tell us that you disable it...because that proves the contrary. If you want me/us to respect your computer knowledge, don't spout the wonders of disabling services and expect to be taken seriously. Give advice that is factual, logical, and "tried and true".

Do I sound cranky? Yeah, probably, but I didn't have my coffee yet today. I'm also growing extremely weary of seeing this "debate" brought back up time and time again, only to yield the same results. Those results are, "leave it alone". It can't be said enough.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Aug 2010   #30
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Guys, today is buddy day - please be nice to each other.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 can i disable ReadyBoost ?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How to disable readyboot (not readyboost)
I notice with resource monitor that readyboot.etl is often being written to, sometimes causing a lot of disk thrashing - and not just when my PC is idle. How can I disable it? I've searched and searched and can't find an answer to this seemingly simple question. I'll live with a slightly longer...
General Discussion
Disable calculator in Windows 7 - Remove, Disable, Delete, Ditch.
Hi does anyone have an idea how to disable or remove the Windows 7 calculator. I want to disable this feature due to cheaters using the calculator whilst doing maths homework? Bloody desperate here. !!!!!!!!!!!:mad: I find it ridiculous its not that easy to do . - Ijust want to Ditch the...
General Discussion
Before using ReadyBoost...
I am thinking of using ReadyBoost to see if it will augment an old pc with 3gb ram W7 x32 (old pc Asus AMD K8 3Ghz, ATI 256mb agp card) just to see if there will be a significant change or not. I have read the lengthy post about it and that got me interested really. Is there like a resource monitor...
Performance & Maintenance
readyboost in new win 7
I have an older M/B (giga byte EP45-UD3P VER 1) with 4 gig of ram.Would readyboost help at all.If so what size of a usb drive or mult drives help . They are cheap enough.
Performance & Maintenance
Disk Thrashing - disable ReadyBoot (not ReadyBoost)
Hello, I am trying to figure out how to permanently disable the "ReadyBoot" feature in Windows 7 x64 (note: I am not talking about ReadyBoost, that's something else!) I've checked out some guides that I found online, such as here or here. But even though they seem to work, after rebooting my...
Performance & Maintenance
What is Readyboost?
Readyboost is NOT virtual RAM from a flash drive. Readyboost is NOT RAM at all. Readyboost is a cache used by your hard drive. Basically it copies stuff you normally use to the speedy Readyboost cache, where it can be used faster. Readyboost give an all round performance boost, and is more...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:29.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App