Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: High pitch sound from computer

05 Aug 2010   #31
mikemyers

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, 6.1.7600 Build 7600
 
 

I think all the system specs are now posted - I've added everything but for the brands of hard disks.

The sound - in the past, when I've turned on a computer with no memory chips inserted, and a few other things I can't remember, the computer has made a sound similar to what I'm hearing now, but it's continuous, not "beeping". I think I'll simply record the sound, so you can hear it yourselves. I will try to figure out where it's coming from - I just have to shut things down and move stuff out of the way. If I can determine where the sound is coming from, I'll take a photo of things as well.

One thing that seems unusual to me... I installed "speedfan 4.41 and it is now running. The temperature for "System" is 94C which is much hotter than anything else.

I'm attaching an image of the Speedfan display.

Is this typical, or is something wrong?


I'm not sure why "Sys Fan" is zero, but if it means the huge fan on my case that is blowing air onto the middle of the motherboard, I think it's because I need to configure things for a large size fan.... it's explained in the help menus, but I need to do a lot more reading.


I'm not sure how these things get measured, but I've got a fan in the front of the case, blowing air over the drives, a large fan on the side of the case aimed at the motherboard, a fan on the top of the case blowing air out, and another fan on the back of the case blowing air out. The case has holes all over the place - it's like "mesh" almost.




Attached Images
High pitch sound from computer-speedfan.jpg 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
05 Aug 2010   #32
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

94C is very high, but if you are over-heating the system would shut down or lock up. You are looking very far into the details now, and still skipping what is most likely a very simple solution. I'm guessing you are at the system now, since you posted the screenshot. You'll be able to tell right away, with the case side off, what component is making the noise. You don't need to take a picture of it. Just put the system under a load so the noise starts, take the side off, and move your ear around to find out where the hoise is coming from. Start with the simple troubleshooting methods first, befor worrying about software and temps, etc.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Aug 2010   #33
archie123

Win 10 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

speedfan is rubbish

CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting

post up a screenie of that ^^^^
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Aug 2010   #34
Zepher

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

could be the coil(s) in the PSU. I had my Antec do that a few months ago and had Antec replace it under warranty.
It was a loud squealing/whining sound, thought it was a fan at first but stopped the fans and the sound was still there, and determined it was the PSU.

Video cards can do it as well, but since you changed cards, I doubt both would end up doing it back to back, unless the PSU caused the cards to start squealing/whining.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Aug 2010   #35
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mikemyers View Post
The sound - in the past, when I've turned on a computer with no memory chips inserted, and a few other things I can't remember, the computer has made a sound similar to what I'm hearing now, but it's continuous, not "beeping".
If you have "continuous" sound that's coming from the motherboard's speaker, that says there's a system malfunction. You may want to check all your board connections, including memory, PCI cards, and fan connections, especially the CPU's fan.

You might also want to download and run Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool. Scroll down to the bottom and get the latest version.

If you don't know how to use the program... check these...

How to Use Memtest86 €“ Memtest 86 Tutorial & Guide - Custom PC Blog
What is memtest86+, what do I use it for? - The Corsair Support Forums

Also download and run either of these temp monitoring programs... Core Temp, or Real Temp and post a screen shot.

I would also agree with archie123 about running CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting

Let us know
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Aug 2010   #36
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
If you have "continuous" sound that's coming from the motherboard's speaker, that says there's a system malfunction.
That's why I'm trying to get the OP to do the simple listen test. He'd know right away if it was coming from the PSU or the motherboard.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Aug 2010   #37
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Agree.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Aug 2010   #38
mikemyers

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, 6.1.7600 Build 7600
 
 

Well, the person who provided the right clue to fix this goes to DeaconFrost. My hearing is not as good as it used to be, but I took everything apart so I could listen to the sound, but it never made the noise. I had disconnected the second monitor to get at the case, and on a hunch, I plugged the second monitor back in. No problem until I started to play "Dirt2" and there was that sound again.

I unplugged the monitor - sound gone. Plugged it back in - sound. Finally, something that is repeatable.

I went around and around the silly thing, and all I noticed was that the sound was loudest when I was near the front, and close to the wall that the computer is next to. No matter what I did, I couldn't find a source for the sound. After several minutes of this, I noticed the volume of the sound was louder when I got down on my knees to look under the computer. Strange - and then, while looking there, the noise went off/on again, and this time I found it!! It was coming from the APC Back-UPS LS500! The red indicator light for "OVERLOAD" was flashing.

Totally my fault for posting all this here, and I'm not sure if you're all going to ban me for life, or if you're all laughing so hard that maybe I get to stay..... :-\


Anyway, thank you for all the help, and especially DeaconFrost. Yes, that was the right thing to do, and yes, sometimes it's the simplest things that are the cause of a problem.


Yikes, you guys are never gonna let me forget this....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Aug 2010   #39
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

LOL. At least you got the the "bottom" of it.

Happy to hear you got it sorted.

Peace
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Aug 2010   #40
WindowsStar

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mikemyers View Post
Well, the person who provided the right clue to fix this goes to DeaconFrost. My hearing is not as good as it used to be, but I took everything apart so I could listen to the sound, but it never made the noise. I had disconnected the second monitor to get at the case, and on a hunch, I plugged the second monitor back in. No problem until I started to play "Dirt2" and there was that sound again.

I unplugged the monitor - sound gone. Plugged it back in - sound. Finally, something that is repeatable.

I went around and around the silly thing, and all I noticed was that the sound was loudest when I was near the front, and close to the wall that the computer is next to. No matter what I did, I couldn't find a source for the sound. After several minutes of this, I noticed the volume of the sound was louder when I got down on my knees to look under the computer. Strange - and then, while looking there, the noise went off/on again, and this time I found it!! It was coming from the APC Back-UPS LS500! The red indicator light for "OVERLOAD" was flashing.

Totally my fault for posting all this here, and I'm not sure if you're all going to ban me for life, or if you're all laughing so hard that maybe I get to stay..... :-\


Anyway, thank you for all the help, and especially DeaconFrost. Yes, that was the right thing to do, and yes, sometimes it's the simplest things that are the cause of a problem.


Yikes, you guys are never gonna let me forget this....
No ban, we all learn. Thanks for posting back with the solution. This will help the gurus and help others fix issues as well. - Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 High pitch sound from computer




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Laptop fan makes high pitch noise, fan wearing out?
Hey guys, well I've been having an annoying problem with my laptop fan. It produces a high pitched noise that is just loud enough to annoy me :/ My room is quiet, so you can very easily hear it. I'm not sure how long it's been going on for, but I've noticed it the last few months. To me it sounds...
Performance & Maintenance
At start up laptop does a high pitch beep for a few before loading up?
I uninstalled Google Chrome recently and ever since I've been having some issues with my computer. Can somebody tell me what it means when I shut down or restart my computer and does a very high pitch beep, its like its screaming at me and then it flashes for a few seconds and then goes to the...
General Discussion
High Pitch Sound
I'm getting a high pitch sound coming through my Razer Tiamat 7.1 Headsets. The sound does lower as I lower the main volume, but then I can't hear anything else. Currently, I'm plugged into the rear USB ports and I tried switching to different USBs, but nothing changes.
Sound & Audio
palit geforce 560 gtx high pitch noise help
when i do a benchtest or if the gpu is at 100 percent it makes a palit high pitch noise but it is not coming from the fan
Graphic Cards
High freq/pitch sounds, Really need help here
Hello everyone, Im new to these forums but i'll try my best to explain the problem Im having here. Please note: Im not sure if this is the right place to submit this thread but if it's not then please move it to the appopriate folder. My specs are: Intel Dp35dp motherboard Intel Core2quad...
BSOD Help and Support
High pitch sound coming from computer.
There's this high pitch sound coming from my computer. You can hear it if you're within like 6 or 7 feet. I think it's coming from the cooling fan. The weird thing I noticed is that the sound goes away if my ethernet cable is not plugged in. Any ideas how to fix it?
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:28.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App