Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 corrupted after cloning

12 Aug 2010   #1
dedew

windows 7
 
 
Windows 7 corrupted after cloning

I'm transfering all my data to a new hdd using gparted. My ubuntu partition went fine but my windows 7 is corrupted or broken. I tried twice to clone the partition but the new one is behaving oddly. Here's a screenshot

http://i34.tinypic.com/2637g44.png


first when windows starts theres nothing on the screen, i have to ctrl+alt+del and create a explorer.exe process, then I can't navigate because any attempt to enter "computer" or any explorer windows returns a warning with "no such interface supported". All my data is still there but is currently unusable

I really want to clone it because reinstalling everything is going to be too much time consuming

thanks in advance


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
12 Aug 2010   #2
ZaLiTH

Win 10 x64 Pro x64 / Ubuntu 15.10 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dedew View Post
I'm transfering all my data to a new hdd using gparted. My ubuntu partition went fine but my windows 7 is corrupted or broken. I tried twice to clone the partition but the new one is behaving oddly. Here's a screenshot

http://i34.tinypic.com/2637g44.png


first when windows starts theres nothing on the screen, i have to ctrl+alt+del and create a explorer.exe process, then I can't navigate because any attempt to enter "computer" or any explorer windows returns a warning with "no such interface supported". All my data is still there but is currently unusable

I really want to clone it because reinstalling everything is going to be too much time consuming

thanks in advance
First things first; I'll be honest, I'm not familiar with GParted, but regardless I would recommend using Norton Ghost instead (I've used it for years with no problems), it's included in Hiren's BootCD 11.0 - www.hiren.info under "Disk tools".

Other than that, what you could try do is boot from your Windows 7 DVD, and attempt the "Startup Repair" option, this simply checks all files and settings regarding Windows startup and attempts to correct any problems it finds.

Lastly, you could also try a system file check; in an elevated command prompt (Elevated Command Prompt) run the following command (keep your Windows 7 DVD handy just in case):
sfc /scannow
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Aug 2010   #3
gregrocker

 

If GRUB is managing the Boot Menu, then try copying the Win7 partition over using free Partition Wizard bootable CD while both HD's are plugged.

Otherwise use free Macrium Reflect to image the Win7 partition.

If both of these fail then you may have a GRUB issue.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Aug 2010   #4
dedew

windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ZaLiTH View Post
First things first; I'll be honest, I'm not familiar with GParted, but regardless I would recommend using Norton Ghost instead (I've used it for years with no problems), it's included in Hiren's BootCD 11.0 - www.hiren.info under "Disk tools".

Other than that, what you could try do is boot from your Windows 7 DVD, and attempt the "Startup Repair" option, this simply checks all files and settings regarding Windows startup and attempts to correct any problems it finds.

Lastly, you could also try a system file check; in an elevated command prompt (Elevated Command Prompt) run the following command (keep your Windows 7 DVD handy just in case):
sfc /scannow
the startup repair didn't found any problem...
the elevated command prompt doesn't run "H:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe the specified path does not exist"

that's really weird, I shouldn't have a H: drive, and looks like I'm running a default login, my desktop and taskbar shortcuts aren't here, just as if i resetted to a fresh install

any place where i can get a free ghost?

I'm getting really stressed with all this, is there any way I can create an image of my old windows and restore on my new partition?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Aug 2010   #5
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

Hi Dewdew,

D/L this freebie. Paragon Rescue Kit Free Edition - Product Tour

Boot it up .

Select Normal Mode>boot corrector>Search for windows installations to correct>Correct drive letters in system registry.

Select the cloned installation.

Change it's drive letter back to whatever it was originally ( usually C )
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Aug 2010   #6
dedew

windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
If GRUB is managing the Boot Menu, then try copying the Win7 partition over using free Partition Wizard bootable CD while both HD's are plugged.

Otherwise use free Macrium Reflect to image the Win7 partition.

If both of these fail then you may have a GRUB issue.
did it with partition wizard, this time windows don't boot, i get a black screen with a flashing cursor. I ran startup repair but theres 2(?) windows installations detected, but both are in a unknown partition

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
Hi Dewdew,

D/L this freebie. Paragon Rescue Kit Free Edition - Product Tour

Boot it up .

Select Normal Mode>boot corrector>Search for windows installations to correct>Correct drive letters in system registry.

Select the cloned installation.

Change it's drive letter back to whatever it was originally ( usually C )
will try
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Aug 2010   #7
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

Uh oh.

If you copied your original with PW and overwrote the clone - you may now have a different issue.

There was nothing wrong with the clone boot process - it was the os loading which was affected by win 7's habit of switching drive letters. It could have been fixed by Paragon in a minute.

What is the situation now?


Your best bet now is to use the free Macrium to make an image of your original 7 installation , then restore that image to the other HD.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Aug 2010   #8
gregrocker

 

Si, I looked at the screenshot in OP and it didn't look like drive letter slippage which normally shows "Windows isn't genuine" on blue screen yet gives access via Task Manager.

What tells us that it is a slipped drive letter?

My thought was to copy with PW (hence without MBR) so GRUB could pick it up if GRUB is managing the boot, then if GRUB doesn't pick it up Mark 7 active and write the MBR using Startup Repair three times. Of course GRUB corruption can bollix everything anyway.

Paragon helped fix a slipped drive letter here yesterday when OP had bluescreen non-geniune fail after repartioning. It would be helpful to know how else to spot that condition. Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Aug 2010   #9
MacGyvr

Windows 7 Ultimate RTM (Technet)
 
 

GParted is definitely not a tool of choice for cloning. Its primary function is partition mangement...creating, deleting and especially resizing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Aug 2010   #10
ZaLiTH

Win 10 x64 Pro x64 / Ubuntu 15.10 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dedew View Post
any place where i can get a free ghost?

I'm getting really stressed with all this, is there any way I can create an image of my old windows and restore on my new partition?
Ghost is included in Hiren's Boot CD, along with many other tools that you'll quite likely one day need. I posted this link in my first post: Hiren's BootCD 11.0 - www.hiren.info

For the record, my current Windows 7 installation has been moved to it's third harddrive now using Ghost (from a SATA 160GB to a 80GB, and lastly to a 250GB. drive has always had two partitions) and I've never had any issues. But, I suspect there's something different with the way you're diong it that's causing problems...

Got one very important question though; if you try boot off your old drive (your source for the cloning process attempt) does your original Windows installation still boot?

Also, when you copied the partitions, in your first post you said your Ubuntu partition went fine, but the Windows one is giving problems... Were these two partitions on the same drive? And if so, did you place them on the new drive in the same locations as they were on the old drive? If not, that may be one problem..

I would highly recommend trying again with Norton Ghost; instead of moving partitions individually, simply duplicate the entire disk. The partitions will be resized according to the destination drive size.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 corrupted after cloning




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Cloning HDD to SSD without having to reinstall Windows 7
So as the title says im planning on Cloning the contents of my HDD to my SSD but im a little bit worried that if I do that it will cause Windows 7 to start playing up. Now my HDD has 3 Partitions to it one is called System, the next Hp C: and Factory_Image D: . From what i have gathered on the...
Installation & Setup
Need help with cloning two partitions on Windows 7 SSD
Hey all, I'm helping a friend upgrade his SSD from a 120GB Intel 320 to a 240GB OCZ. He has the two standard partitions on the drive: C: and System Reserved. I'm trying to figure out the best way to clone the two drives with both partitions copied over. I've tried to use Symantec Ghost...
Backup and Restore
Corrupted Files + Unable to Repair + Corrupted Source
So, I reformatted my computer again. Did some SFC scans before I installed any Microsoft updates and all scans were clean. Did all the updates, drivers, program installations. Couple days later I decide to check with SFC and found some errors. There's also errors at the source, meaning I can't...
Performance & Maintenance
problem with cloning windows 7
hello everybody I'm new to the forum and the reason I'm here is to ask about this case >>> i have a desktop computer i used it to install win7 ultimate x86 and i have a laptop i used it to install win7 ultimate x64 . the desktop and laptop both support x64 systems , i cloned both computers...
Backup and Restore
Corrupted CD, getting an error as corrupted or missing files
Hi All I bought a new windows 7 home basic edition. I tried installing windows 7 on my laptop after formatting the disk. During the 2nd step of installation Install windows ->Expanding windows it says files may be corrupted please ensure all the files exist before installation. Please help, I...
General Discussion
Cloning Windows 7
I have three PC's, all with different hardware configurations, mobo, CPU. One is running XP Pro 32-bit, one is running XP Pro x64, one is new but I have an unused XP Home licence that I can use to qualify for upgrade on Windows 7. I have just bought the Windows 7 Family Pack, and have a few...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App