Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How to re-partition hard drive.

15 Aug 2010   #1
rjmach

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 
How to re-partition hard drive.

Hello all

I have a partition on my cpu that is 30.00gb that i use for programs.

I want to delete it and put the "C" drive back to the right amount. I have the right inf on how to make the partition but lost on how to merge the data back to C drive.

I put a Attached to this on what i have.

Thanks for your help.




Attached Files
File Type: txt How to Re-Partition a Hard Drive.txt (1.9 KB, 55 views)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
15 Aug 2010   #2
Shadowjk

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 ; Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
 
 

Ok you first need to Delete a Partition to make the Space to extend the C Drive then Right click the C:\ And select extend Partition then set the Allocated space


You may want to look at these


Partition or Volume - Extend

Partition or Volume - Delete


Hope This Helps,
Josh
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Aug 2010   #3
rjmach

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 
Partition

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Shadowjk View Post
Ok you first need to Delete a Partition to make the Space to extend the C Drive then Right click the C:\ And select extend Partition then set the Allocated space


You may want to look at these


Partition or Volume - Extend

Partition or Volume - Delete


Hope This Helps,
Josh
Thanks for your reply.

What i want to do is on the "X" drive that is 30GB i need 70GB.

Thanks


Attached Thumbnails
How to re-partition hard drive.-my-hard-drives.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Aug 2010   #4
Lasy B

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Could you possibly post an image of your Disk Manager window? (Type diskmgmt.msc in your search box). The layout of your partition is important to the advice you need.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Aug 2010   #5
rjmach

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 
Disk Management

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lasy B View Post
Could you possibly post an image of your Disk Manager window? (Type diskmgmt.msc in your search box). The layout of your partition is important to the advice you need.
Here it is.


Attached Thumbnails
How to re-partition hard drive.-disk-management.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Aug 2010   #6
Lasy B

Windows 7 x64
 
 

I personally would download Partition Wizard (Free). Make a new, say, 70gb logical partition called whatever, by reducing the size of the C: partition and then merge the new 70gb partition with my X: partition and finally rename this new 100gb partition X: (You want 70gb now but in three months time...). This would be a lot easier than manually doing it by using Windows Disk Manager.

1. Make sure to back up your data (I've never had a problem, but there's always a first time!).

2. Do your stuff with Partition Wizard (there are a couple of Tutorials on here).

3. When you've finished check that your System Restore is still functioning correctly.

You could do it manually but it would involve a fair few re-boots, manual shifting of files and re-naming. Luckily the two partitions you will want to play with are contiguous
(next to each other, (that's why I requested the picture)) which makes life oh so much easier.
Partition Wizard will do all of this in one re-boot.

Finally, if you're not doing anything with all that free space on your C: partition, do you think you could send me some?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Aug 2010   #7
rjmach

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 
Partition

YouTube - How to Partition and Un-Partition a Hard Drive
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lasy B View Post
I personally would download Partition Wizard (Free). Make a new, say, 70gb logical partition called whatever, by reducing the size of the C: partition and then merge the new 70gb partition with my X: partition and finally rename this new 100gb partition X: (You want 70gb now but in three months time...). This would be a lot easier than manually doing it by using Windows Disk Manager.

1. Make sure to back up your data (I've never had a problem, but there's always a first time!).

2. Do your stuff with Partition Wizard (there are a couple of Tutorials on here).

3. When you've finished check that your System Restore is still functioning correctly.

You could do it manually but it would involve a fair few re-boots, manual shifting of files and re-naming. Luckily the two partitions you will want to play with are contiguous
(next to each other, (that's why I requested the picture)) which makes life oh so much easier.
Partition Wizard will do all of this in one re-boot.

Finally, if you're not doing anything with all that free space on your C: partition, do you think you could send me some?
Thanks for your help guys.

I found what i was looking for.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How to re-partition hard drive.




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Cloning a hard drive partition onto a smaller hard drive
I have an old 320GB hard drive that's dying and slowing my computer down. The OS is on a 20GB partition. I want to copy that partition onto an empty, 110GB hard drive. Will the data copied be corrupted? am I better off re-installing windows? How can I do this?
General Discussion
hard drive partition
my hard drive is split into two partitions C and D they are both the same size 232 and 232 respectively the D drive is HDD recovery which is only using +/- 21 gig's how do i transfer say about 200 gigs of unused space from the D partition to the C partition without corrupting and loosing the...
General Discussion
Hard drive partition: adding free space back to c: drive
Hi everyone, I installed Ubuntu on my computer a few months ago and created another partition for it on my 1TB hard drive. I didn't really care for Ubuntu so I decided to delete the partition it was on. :geek: That might have been a mistake. :( Well, now there's 87.68GB of free space on...
Performance & Maintenance
Want to copy a system hard drive to one partition on another drive.
I have 3 hard drives and boot options of windows 7 64bit or Vista 32bit. Drive 1. E: 74gb Windows 7 64bit bootable. Drive 2. D: 186gb
Backup and Restore
Hard Drive Partition Without Effecting Recovery Partition
Hi, Need some help. I recently bought Acer Aspire 5560G. It comes with 500GB HDD with only one partition which is drive C. There are 2 hidden partitions as well. I would like to split my drive C in 2 partitions without effecting my Recovery partition. Is it possible??? if yes than what's...
Performance & Maintenance
Hard drive problem with partition. Even after a new replacement drive.
After sending in my new 750 GB Western Digital Black Edition hard drive due to my partitions getting completely screwed multiple times. I received a brand new replacement 1 TB Western Digital Black Edition hard drive yesterday. Everything was working fine until I turned on my desktop on today and...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:29.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App