Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Please help with USB, it only want's to format!!! Need that data.

16 Aug 2010   #1
Core7

Window 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 
Please help with USB, it only want's to format!!! Need that data.

I have a flash drive and when I want to open it it only want to format. I really need that data on the flash drive, is there like a back up program for that or a way to get by the format?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
16 Aug 2010   #2
1Bowtie

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

When you plug in the flash drive does it open a menu, if so open in windows explorer, it will have a drive letter and beside it will be a little diamond click it will open the flash drive to all your data
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Aug 2010   #3
mitchell65

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Core7 View Post
I have a flash drive and when I want to open it it only want to format. I really need that data on the flash drive, is there like a back up program for that or a way to get by the format?
Where did the flash drive come from? Did you load the data on it or was the data already there when you obtained the drive?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Aug 2010   #4
Core7

Window 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mitchell65 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Core7 View Post
I have a flash drive and when I want to open it it only want to format. I really need that data on the flash drive, is there like a back up program for that or a way to get by the format?
Where did the flash drive come from? Did you load the data on it or was the data already there when you obtained the drive?
There was data on it but I plugged it in my PC and my asshole of a friend just pulled it out and now it only want to format.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Aug 2010   #5
mitchell65

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Core7 View Post
and my *********** of a friend just pulled it out and now it only want to format.
That is unacceptable language on this Forum!
What is on the drive that is so important, is it a game perhaps? If so is it ans R4 dive?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Aug 2010   #6
1Bowtie

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

That's because you didn't use eject to safely remove hardware, it was probably reading when he pulled it and i'm not sure if there's a way to recover data. There be more help forthcoming i'm sure.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Aug 2010   #7
Core7

Window 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

Sorry mates, uhm my whole year of work is on there.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Aug 2010   #8
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Core7 View Post
Sorry mates, uhm my whole year of work is on there.
Flash drives shouldn't be meant as a backup device. That being said, plug it in, do not format it, and download Recuva. Run it with the deep scan option on your flash drive, and see what it recovers. It should be able to get most of it, but if something was in use at the time it was yanked out, it is probably gone.

In the future, look into having a SkyDrive account or something like that to store your important work.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Aug 2010   #9
Core7

Window 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Core7 View Post
Sorry mates, uhm my whole year of work is on there.
Flash drives shouldn't be meant as a backup device. That being said, plug it in, do not format it, and download Recuva. Run it with the deep scan option on your flash drive, and see what it recovers. It should be able to get most of it, but if something was in use at the time it was yanked out, it is probably gone.

In the future, look into having a SkyDrive account or something like that to store your important work.
Thanks will look at that
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Please help with USB, it only want's to format!!! Need that data.




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Can my data be saved before a format on a hard drive?
Hi Guys I am no expert, so I really need your expertise on this one. After purchasing a hard drive (internal) for my external media player from Western Digital, I was unable to find my drive on My Computer. I went through Disk Management and formatted the drive and Viola!!! I downloaded a...
Hardware & Devices
need to take data before format
Hi everyone m in big problem My laptop is not being started. It shows recovery error, i tried to follow steps but it failed. So at last i decide to format. But i have some imp files on Desktop . Please anyone suggest me any way to get those files Kindly reply as soon as possible Thanks
Hardware & Devices
Hard Drive Wants Me To Format It But There Is Data On It
I'm freaking out because my hard drive won't show the data and says that I need to format it. It is a external Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 1 TB USB 2.0 Portable External Hard Drive STAA1000100 (Black) and the computer is a Acer Aspire E1-571-6650 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black) It is important files...
Hardware & Devices
HDD is now in RAW format - help to save data
For some reason my hDD on a USB 3.0 hub's partition info is now RAW and when I plug in the drive windows says I need to format it. Ive ran the program Active Partition Recovery and the file systems are RAW, within the "tree" of the program I CAN navigate through the folders and find all my data -...
General Discussion
Can't delete my data partition or format it
Can't delete my data partition or format it, any suggestions?
General Discussion
Preserving data: full format proposed..
I'm going to do a format soon, but I need some guidance on how to preserve my current Office data.. anyone know an easy way to retain the stuff, like contacts in Outlook and previous e-mails rec'd and sent, etc..? the format will be a severe one - everything will be wiped - and I mean...
Microsoft Office


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:05.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App