Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: PCs for media creation

16 Aug 2010   #1
Froot Joose

Vista x64
 
 
PCs for media creation

Hello,

I will be buying a new computer soon and the main purpose for it will be for media creation (such as video editing, digital audio editing etc). And what I hear all the time is that Macs are way better for that kind of stuff. And that is one thing that is making me consider getting a mac. But the thing is....nobody ever says why the mac is better. They just say that it is. So could someone please fill me in here. How do Windows 7 machines compare with macs considering their media creation capabilities?
Thanks


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
17 Aug 2010   #2
Petey7

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
 
 

The only thing that matters is what software you use. The OS isn't nearly as important as the software you use for the actual editing. I remember my brother telling me that Apple has some free video editing program that is better than the original Windows Movie Maker. But, now you have Windows Live Movie Maker you can use, which isn't great by any means, but its better than the original one on XP in my opinion.

Personally, I like Audacity, a free audio editing program, which has never let me down.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Aug 2010   #3
johndh

Windows 7 (64bit)
 
 

Depends on what software you are using. The gap between the mac and pc has been closing over time. It's true that the mac was better for media and traditionally the default choice for professional use. I use a PC because of the price advantage, but is it better? No. My PC is still unstable to the point that the relationship between myself and the supplier is in a state of collapse. But I cant use an iMac because of the crappy shiny screen, and the power mac is way too expensive. A correctly speced up PC should run the full CS5 suite no problem, but I'm afraid that isn't the case for me.

From a technical point of view, these days it should make no difference, but if I had the money, I would get a mac.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Aug 2010   #4
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Froot Joose View Post
nobody ever says why the mac is better. They just say that it is.
That's because there is no reason why the Mac is better...it is just what you hear from all the Mac cultists and zealots who think anything Steve Jobs thinks up is far superior. The truth about the debate right now is...price is the main factor. If you compare a PC to a Mac, you'll find the specs can be identical. They use the same internal parts. So that begs the question as to why they cost so much more. The answer is, because non-tech savvy people will pay it, because they think the Mac is better. It's the same damn computer!

That being said, the software you plan to use will be the difference...or in this case, the same. For example, Adobe CS5 will cost the same, run the same, and produce the same results on both platforms. Your total cost will be more on the Mac side. The PC also benefits from having a larger selection of other software, games, upgrade options etc.

As a final example, of what I mean by upgrade options, consider this. My graphic designers Mac Pro had a dead video card. I had to pay $250 for a Mac version of an ATI 2600 Pro that would have cost me $35 for the PC version. The hardware of the card is the same, but because the firmware was flashed to be "Mac Compatible", it cost more. Had it been a PC tower, I could have chosen from hundreds of cards for less money, including many many cards that performed better than a 2600 Pro.

All in all, there's very little reason left to consider a Mac, unless you are buying to be "trendy". The Mac OSX is no longer more secure, and anytime you bring up a past "advantage" a Mac had...it can be easily debunked and refuted.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Aug 2010   #5
Twibitsu

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by johndh View Post
It's true that the mac was better for media and traditionally the default choice for professional use.
And traditionally it still is the choice for professional users.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Froot Joose View Post
nobody ever says why the mac is better. They just say that it is.
All in all, there's very little reason left to consider a Mac, unless you are buying to be "trendy". The Mac OSX is no longer more secure, and anytime you bring up a past "advantage" a Mac had...it can be easily debunked and refuted.
Mac OS X is still more secure than any Windows, because majority of viruses, trojans, etc. are targeted for Windows. And Macs tend to be more stable, because the hardware and software are designed to be compatible from the ground up, unlike on windows where the software and hardware all come from different suppliers/manufacturers.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Froot Joose View Post
Hello,

And what I hear all the time is that Macs are way better for that kind of stuff. And that is one thing that is making me consider getting a mac. But the thing is....nobody ever says why the mac is better. They just say that it is. So could someone please fill me in here. How do Windows 7 machines compare with macs considering their media creation capabilities?
Thanks
People who say that Mac is better, but don't come up with any explanation why it's better probably aren't the people you'd want to listen when it's comes to buying a computer for media editing, etc.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Aug 2010   #6
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

If you spend the kind of money that a Mac costs, you will get a formidable PC that should be far superior. Plus, you have a much larger choice of applications (especially free ones) than you will ever find for a Mac.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Aug 2010   #7
Twibitsu

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
If you spend the kind of money that a Mac costs, you will get a formidable PC that should be far superior.
You'll get a faster computer yes, however you won't get far superior customer support nor hardware/software compatibility. And on a side note, Macs are PCs too, just with a different operating system. So why everyone always automatically assumes a PC is a computer with a Windows OS?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Plus, you have a much larger choice of applications (especially free ones) than you will ever find for a Mac.
Yes, Windows has a larger selection of freeware programs than Mac OS X does, because it is a more common operating system. For the same reason there are more viruses for Windows.

I apologize if I'm coming up all apple fanboy(ish), but I wanted to have some differing opinions for this thread, when you ask about Mac on a windows forum what do you expect people will answer?

In the end, it all comes down to how much you can/want to spend.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Aug 2010   #8
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote:
In the end, it all comes down to how much you can/want to spend.
This is probably the main criterion that will determine the choice. Many of us have or have had Macs, but there must be a reason that there are 10 times as many Window systems than Macs. And the scare tactics regarding malware are void - if you have a proper installation and sensible browsing habits, there is no problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Aug 2010   #9
mitchell65

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

I tend to agree with Wolfgang here. I rather depends on what you want the computer do do. You say media work, video editing etc. Is this professionally or from a serious hobby angle? Either way you get what you pay for to a large extent and it is down to your budget. Can you justify the high cost of CS5 type software or will something a little less sophisticated do what you want. Look at you own level of expertise. There's no point in having such sophisticated software that it gives you a headache just getting it launched!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Aug 2010   #10
Shadowjk

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 ; Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
 
 

The reason why macs are better and Iphones are popular is because it is Fashionable
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 PCs for media creation




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Logo Creation
Hi Folks, Need some help with creating a logo. here are few examples:
General Discussion
PDF Creation
Does anyone know of software that will create a PDF file from scratch without using another application such as Word, notepad, etc?
Software
Please help with start orb creation !!
I followed the all details of this tutorial : https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/73616-how-create-custom-start-orb-image.htm And I made my own orb !! But when I apply the orb it comes a little brighter !! See the images and please help me with this !! I really want to know how to do my own orbs...
Customization
Help with Theme Creation
I have been working on a theme for a bit and am trying to figure out how you change the color or image background of the details pane windows explorer. This is what i mean: http://th09.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2010/359/c/0/longhorn_revealed_win7_final_by_sagorpirbd-d35kkef.png I have gotten...
Customization
Render Creation Error
Is anyone familiar?
General Discussion
Font creation
hey i have few characters and want them to convert to font file so i be easy when writing them. is there any software which can do this task?
Software


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:54.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App