How do I get a 64 bit version of Windows 7 6956?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 21
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Chrome (soon)
    Thread Starter
       #11

    Oh I just realized that I'm all out of DVD RW's! I have a 2GB USB drive, but I'll have to go out and get a DVD because it's around 3.5 GB's. Oh well. When I install, I'll tell you how it went!
    Unless...do you know if I can use Magic ISO to burn the image to my 500GB external hard drive without formatting it? Then I could boot it now!
      My Computer

  2.    #12

    Hmm, yeah I installed mine from an 8GB USB drive. I just dumped the ISO out onto the flash drive. Never burned a thing. Not sure about using the external hard drive to boot from... I would say try it.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 50,585
    Windows 11 Workstation x64
       #13

    Californian said:
    Oh I just realized that I'm all out of DVD RW's! I have a 2GB USB drive, but I'll have to go out and get a DVD because it's around 3.5 GB's. Oh well. When I install, I'll tell you how it went!
    Unless...do you know if I can use Magic ISO to burn the image to my 500GB external hard drive without formatting it? Then I could boot it now!

    I just mounted the ISO from within Vista with daemon tools to install
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 21
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Chrome (soon)
    Thread Starter
       #14

    So you installed it from within Vista? You put the iso on a virtual drive and ran it that way? First of all, I didn't know that was possible, and second of all, I don't think you can do that in Linux, at least I don't know how. I can't figure out how to copy the image to the drive, but I think it might be because the drive is not bootable. I downloaded a utility, but I don't know if it will format the drive or not. I can't use it if it does, and that might be inherent in making anything bootable, so I might have to wait until tomorrow to do this. I'll keep trying, but it might not be possible without a DVD RW. Arrrgh!
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 21
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Chrome (soon)
    Thread Starter
       #15

    Alright, I gave up on the external hard drive idea; would it be too much to ask for someone to explain how to do a network install? I'm not afraid of DOS! I'm sorry for being so much trouble, and thanks for all the help! If it's too complicated to write out (I've already Googled it and come up with nothing), I'll just wait until tomorrow and get a DVD RW.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 214
    Windows 7 Build 7600 Laptop and desktop. Also OSX 10.5.7 and 10.6 Snow on Laptop
       #16

    DiamondNRG said:
    Also, that is the last x64 build that will be released prior to beta.

    And the 6956 was stolen from a computer, so they did not get an x64 copy of it.
    I know that most of the releases of 6956 was stollen as a non bootable image from a PC then a boot was created later but there is a version foating about that came direct from M$ and has the original boot. That is the version I installed from. Failed right at the end though on an upgrade from Vista. Fresh install fine though.
    All seems quite stable for a pre-Beta though but as above shame no 64Bit version.
    Only problems I seem to mostly be having is no fingerprint recognition working (all installed and driver seems to work and scanner lit up but fingerprint not recognised when scanned), and also can't seem to get Nero v9 working.
      My Computer

  7.    #17

    Studulike said:
    I know that most of the releases of 6956 was stollen as a non bootable image from a PC then a boot was created later but there is a version foating about that came direct from M$ and has the original boot. That is the version I installed from. Failed right at the end though on an upgrade from Vista. Fresh install fine though.
    All seems quite stable for a pre-Beta though but as above shame no 64Bit version.
    Only problems I seem to mostly be having is no fingerprint recognition working (all installed and driver seems to work and scanner lit up but fingerprint not recognised when scanned), and also can't seem to get Nero v9 working.
    Um no, there was 1 machine running 6956 at WinHEC that someone STOLE it from. That is it. Every single torrent and website you see talking about 6956 all came from that. ALL OF THEM.

    If you want an x64 release, use build 6936 which really did get "released" (to certain hardware companies for driver compliance testing) by Microsoft. There is a blue badge rev3 tool on Within Windows to unlock the locked features. After unlocking 6936 the only noticable differences between that and the x86 build 6956 is the boot screen ... and we all know that doesn't really mean jack! :)
      My Computer

  8.    #18

    Thanks for fixing up my post whomever :) Guess I was sleeping when I wrote it!
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 214
    Windows 7 Build 7600 Laptop and desktop. Also OSX 10.5.7 and 10.6 Snow on Laptop
       #19

    DiamondNRG said:
    Um no, there was 1 machine running 6956 at WinHEC that someone STOLE it from. That is it. Every single torrent and website you see talking about 6956 all came from that. ALL OF THEM.

    If you want an x64 release, use build 6936 which really did get "released" (to certain hardware companies for driver compliance testing) by Microsoft. There is a blue badge rev3 tool on Within Windows to unlock the locked features. After unlocking 6936 the only noticable differences between that and the x86 build 6956 is the boot screen ... and we all know that doesn't really mean jack! :)
    I am just going by the details on the version I have. Also you are probably right about no difference in 6936 to 6956, the builds are to close as to make any difference. I will quote the posts on the version I have below:-

    Ok the version you want is:- Microsoft.Windows.7.Build.6956.x86.DVD-MSBP

    The post that is on site that goes with it is: (I have removed all other posts as not important)

    "iND release was converted to bootable installation dvd from VHD (virtual hard disk). This one is original dvd from microsoft."


    Note the files that have been taken from virtual disk has a "iND" on the end of file name, the real DVD from M$ has "MSBP"at the end of file name.

    Hope this helps
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 21
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Chrome (soon)
    Thread Starter
       #20

    OK so thanks for all the help everyone, but now it won't activate! It's all installed, and I tried a bunch of ways, but nothing works! Should I just reinstall? How did you activate, DiamondNRG? Thanks!
      My Computer


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:09.
Find Us