Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Who is running and will continue to run XP / W2003 server

03 Sep 2010   #31
eldinv

DOS^
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by eldinv View Post
Wel,l I no longer have an XP Disk and key, so this is how I get to use XP. So I guess you misunderstood me, because it wouldn't make any sense to use it that way if I already had XP.
That's the benefit of XP Mode...that you don't need your own XP license...it gives you a fully functional copy. But my point was, to use XP Mode, you don't need/shouldn't need/shouldn't use VMWare. VMWare would be if you did have your own XP license to use, and also planned on using other OSes in VMs as well.
It runs sluggish for me on VirtualPC, but when I use it in VMWare it runs great.




Attached Images
Who is running and will continue to run XP / W2003 server-download_xp-mode.jpg 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
03 Sep 2010   #32
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by eldinv View Post
It runs sluggish for me on VirtualPC, but when I use it in VMWare it runs great.
So you swapped out VirtualPC, and converted/loaded the VM to a VMWare format. I see. that's all you had to say from the beginning. On a side note, if you were seeing a performance difference, you have another issue somewhere. I have two systems running XP Mode and both outperform VMWare and VirtualBox for a base XP install, if there is any difference between them. One system has Intel VT, and the other doesn't. In addition to the speed, you also give up the integration features that make XP Mode...well...XP Mode.

I can't tell you what to do, but if it was my system, I'd rather solve the issue and use XP Mode as intended, rather than frankenstein it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Sep 2010   #33
eldinv

DOS^
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by eldinv View Post
It runs sluggish for me on VirtualPC, but when I use it in VMWare it runs great.
So you swapped out VirtualPC, and converted/loaded the VM to a VMWare format. I see. that's all you had to say from the beginning. On a side note, if you were seeing a performance difference, you have another issue somewhere. I have two systems running XP Mode and both outperform VMWare and VirtualBox for a base XP install, if there is any difference between them. One system has Intel VT, and the other doesn't. In addition to the speed, you also give up the integration features that make XP Mode...well...XP Mode.

I can't tell you what to do, but if it was my system, I'd rather solve the issue and use XP Mode as intended, rather than frankenstein it.
So why was it so difficult for you to understand...LOL...Had you read the article in the link I sent, it would have made sense. Although, don't understand why it didn't at first.

In Linux there are many distros where the image has already been set up; (pre-installed) and you just have to add them to your virtualization program, and then your up and running. (Like XP mode)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Sep 2010   #34
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by eldinv View Post
So why was it so difficult for you to understand...LOL...Had you read the article in the link I sent, it would have made sense. Although, don't understand why it didn't at first.
Because I couldn't imagine why anyone would want to switch from an integrated product to something that's bulkier and slower. It also was confusing because I asked a few times, and it took a few replies to lay it out simply. I still don't understand the change, like I said, I'd rather work on figuring out why XP Mode wasn't running properly the way it was intended.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by eldinv View Post
In Linux there are many distros where the image has already been set up; (pre-installed) and you just have to add them to your virtualization program, and then your up and running. (Like XP mode)
You seem to be under the impression I don't know much about virtualization. I know Linux distros are available this way, and so are tons of Windows setups as well. I'm not sure how that fits into our discussion though.

If you really want to see something impressive with virtualization, setup a server running ESXi 4.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Sep 2010   #35
eldinv

DOS^
 
 

Quote:
I'm not sure how that fits into our discussion though.
Very true, but you insisted.

Good luck,
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Who is running and will continue to run XP / W2003 server




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Running a .bat file from server
Hello! I've got a .bat file on my server that I would like to run on the Server. If I go the server/domain (whatever you like to call it) to the URL where my .bat file is, it would just download the file. But I would like to be able to make the server run the .bat. Is that possible? Thanks!
Network & Sharing
Server running Windows vs Linux
So I do not know much about servers but I heard that almost 50% of servers are running Linux these days cause they are more secure and cost effective. Is all this true, can someone please educate me. thanks.
General Discussion
Joining W2003 SP2 domain
Hi, i have installed W7 full installation from Dell. I have got W2003 SP2 DC. When i am running W7 without domain, it is ok, running well, but when i join my domain, users can not logon, because service is stopped (event ID 7031). When i am trying to logon with admins privil. it is possible, but...
Network & Sharing
MSE - doesn't install on W2003 / W2008 Server
Hi all For those running W2003 / W2008 server Virtual machines on a W7 Host Microsoft Security Essentials doesn't work - you get a Not designed for this operating system message. Pity - but I suppose MS thinks if you are running a server you are likely to be a business which can pay MONEY...
System Security
RDP to VM running under Virtual Server Not possible
Hi mods Mea culpa -- made an error -- you of course CAN connect via RDP if you need to - you have to allow it (as like any other machine) in the settings to allow remote users to connect. Cheers jimbo
Virtualization


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:03.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App