Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: music system shortcut

04 Sep 2010   #1
nabilalk

Win 7 Professional 32-bit
 
 
Solved:music system shortcut

Hey all I frequently use shortcuts that I have copied in the System folder for instant access to folders and applications. One shortcut I would like to use is "music" for quick access to my music library which I have on an external HD. Unfortunately, typing "music" (without quotes) in run, loads the user/My Music folder. How can I change this to the folder where my music is actually stored?

My current workaround is to rename my shortcut from "music" to "musiq" but I would prefer not to have to do that.

Thanks!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
04 Sep 2010   #2
mitchell65

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Rather than have to type a word in Run why not just create a desktop shortcut to the folder on your Ext HD? Much quicker and easier access! If you want you can type "music" under the dektop icon or make your own icon using the word "music" as the graphic! I bet one of our graphic Gurus would jump at the chance o creating an icon for you! They have "pencils poised"
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Sep 2010   #3
nabilalk

Win 7 Professional 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mitchell65 View Post
Rather than have to type a word in Run why not just create a desktop shortcut to the folder on your Ext HD? Much quicker and easier access! If you want you can type "music" under the dektop icon or make your own icon using the word "music" as the graphic!
I prefer keyboard to mouse, and like run shortcuts. Just a preference thing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Sep 2010   #4
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Nello Nabilalk,

You could use the tutorial below to help add the ext. HD to be included in your Music library. This way you can just open the Music library to have access to your entire collection of Music from all of your included folders with the music still being stored in their original locations.

Library - Include a Folder

You can even open the Music library from the Start Menu by adding it to the right pane through Customize Start Menu, or pin the Music library folder as a toolbar on the taskbar to make opening it easier.

Hope this helps,
Shawn
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Sep 2010   #5
nabilalk

Win 7 Professional 32-bit
 
 

Thanks for the info. I'm more interested in how the "music" command is governed. I have already added my stored music to the My Music library.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Sep 2010   #6
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

You can open the Music library with the shell:MusicLibrary command.

However, you could create a shortcut of the Music library (Send to -> Desktop (create shortcut)), move the shortcut to where you would like to keep it saved at on the Windows 7 drive, then assign a keyboard shorcut to the shortcut to use to open the Music folder easier. For example, type M to use Ctrl+Alt+M to open the Music folder through the shortcut.

music system shortcut-library.jpgmusic system shortcut-properties.jpg


My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Sep 2010   #7
logicearth

Windows 10 Pro (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nabilalk View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm more interested in how the "music" command is governed. I have already added my stored music to the My Music library.
It is a scope thing. the Run box is basically a command prompt. When you open a command prompt for example you start off in "C:\users\[username]" the Run box of course works a little differently as it does implicit conversions. However, when you type "music" it sees a folder "music" so it assumed you want to access that folder.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Sep 2010   #8
nabilalk

Win 7 Professional 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nabilalk View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm more interested in how the "music" command is governed. I have already added my stored music to the My Music library.
It is a scope thing. the Run box is basically a command prompt. When you open a command prompt for example you start off in "C:\users\[username]" the Run box of course works a little differently as it does implicit conversions. However, when you type "music" it sees a folder "music" so it assumed you want to access that folder.
Any way to change what folder it sees when you type music? And what is strange is the fact that typing music in Win XP, didn't do anything. So I guess this has something to do with the Windows 7 libraries. The same thing happens if you type "documents".
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Sep 2010   #9
nabilalk

Win 7 Professional 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
You can open the Music library with the shell:MusicLibrary command.

However, you could create a shortcut of the Music library (Send to -> Desktop (create shortcut)), move the shortcut to where you would like to keep it saved at on the Windows 7 drive, then assign a keyboard shorcut to the shortcut to use to open the Music folder easier. For example, type M to use Ctrl+Alt+M to open the Music folder through the shortcut.

Attachment 95422Attachment 95418
Thanks, i will give that a shot.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Sep 2010   #10
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

In addition, the full path to the Music library is this below.

C:\Users\(User-Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\Music.library-ms

or

%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\Music.library-ms
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 music system shortcut




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Music Library - Create Shortcut in Windows
How to Create a "Music Library" Shortcut in Windows 7 and Windows 8 This will show you how to download or create a shortcut that opens directly to the Music Library for any user in Windows 7 and Windows 8. EXAMPLE: Music Library To Download a "Music Library" Shortcut 1. Click/tap...
Tutorials
Windows Media Center - Play All Music - Create Shortcut
How to Create a Shortcut to Play All Music in Window Media Center This will show you how to download or create a shortcut that will play all music from your music library in a shuffle in Windows Media Center. Windows Media Center is not available in Windows 7 Starter and Windows 7 Home Basic...
Tutorials
Windows Media Center - Music Library - Create Shortcut
How to Create a Shortcut that Opens Directly to the "Music Library" in Windows Media Center This will show you how to download or create a shortcut that will open directly to the Music Library in Windows Media Center in Windows 7 or Vista. Windows Media Center is not available in Windows 7...
Tutorials
How to play all music in WMP 12 with a shortcut?
Does anyone know if it's possible to play all in "Now Playing" mode using a shortcut key or with a command line parameter? I want it to play everything in my library when it opens up or with a key shortcut...I can't seem to find it anywhere...:huh:
Music, Pictures & Video
music Run shortcut
UPDATE: Solved: I like using the run dialog as a launcher and place shortcuts to frequently used applications and folders in the System folder. For example I have a shortcut for Firefox named ff, so that I can Run type the keyword: "ff" without quotes and launch the application with a few...
General Discussion
System keeps hanging when playing music
Whenever I play music which is stored on my external hard drive, either through iTunes or media player, the whole system comes to a stop, I am unable to close the music program and it wont restart by going to start menu (I have to press and hold the off button!) Does this happen to anyone...
Sound & Audio


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:20.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App