Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Multi Purpose PC - Your Opinions Please

08 Sep 2010   #21
Dave76

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

The single SSD and a big HDD for storage is the best option.

Excellent choice, you'll be very happy with that setup.

It's a little late but I have to agree with some of the advice given, you can easily use a SSD half that size and saved a bit of cash.

Glad you got away from that dodgy RAID SSD, non-standard single SSD, line of sales crap they were trying to feed you, some people have no morals.

If they had a way to use Trim on a SSD RAID array, they could make a lot of money and everyone would know about it.
Definite sales pitch.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
08 Sep 2010   #22
thehappyman

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dave76 View Post
The single SSD and a big HDD for storage is the best option.

Excellent choice, you'll be very happy with that setup.

It's a little late but I have to agree with some of the advice given, you can easily use a SSD half that size and saved a bit of cash.

Glad you got away from that dodgy RAID SSD, non-standard single SSD, line of sales crap they were trying to feed you, some people have no morals.

If they had a way to use Trim on a SSD RAID array, they could make a lot of money and everyone would know about it.
Definite sales pitch.
Hi Dave76,
Thanks for the good words, enjoy it I intend to do.

Actually this SSD (256 GB) will work out very well. On my last sysem (XP) I had a RAID 0 setup made up of two 10,000 rpm WD150 Raptors, resulting in a 300 GB C drive.
I only kept the OS and all my many various programs on the C drive, almost no data at all. Yes, there was some data on the C drive, but not much.

After 3 years of adding various programs to my system, the used portion on the C drive grew to about 140 GB (so the disk was almost half full). Basically, this tells me that I really do need the 256 GB SSD, the next size down is 128 GB (or 120 GB) which wouldnt be big enough for me over the long haul.

The line of "sales crap" came from one bad sales technician without any morals (there are many sales techs at this company). When I called back to talk about my concerns I happend to get a very good and more knowledgeable sales tech who helped me straighten everything out and save me 22% to boot. Persistence is what finally paid off.

And a number of people have suggested that a single SSD is so fast I probably wouldnt have noticed any improvement in an SSD RAID ARRAY anyway !!!!!!
Dont really know ablout that ???

Hope they can get the TRIM operation working with RAID. Maybe someday we wont even need a TRIM operation !!!!!!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Sep 2010   #23
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by thehappyman View Post
After 3 years of adding various programs to my system, the used portion on the C drive grew to about 140 GB (so the disk was almost half full). Basically, this tells me that I really do need the 256 GB SSD, the next size down is 128 GB (or 120 GB) which wouldnt be big enough for me over the long haul.
Yeah, but how much time did you actually spend ensuring that things got uninstalled that you weren't using? Most people just load and load and load and do very little actual maintenance. When you have a smaller drive, you actually find some ways to reduce your footprint without really giving up much. I'm on an 80GB Intel C drive at the present time and it's got nearly 45GB free with a few games and all of my apps.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Sep 2010   #24
thehappyman

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by thehappyman View Post
After 3 years of adding various programs to my system, the used portion on the C drive grew to about 140 GB (so the disk was almost half full). Basically, this tells me that I really do need the 256 GB SSD, the next size down is 128 GB (or 120 GB) which wouldnt be big enough for me over the long haul.
Yeah, but how much time did you actually spend ensuring that things got uninstalled that you weren't using? Most people just load and load and load and do very little actual maintenance. When you have a smaller drive, you actually find some ways to reduce your footprint without really giving up much. I'm on an 80GB Intel C drive at the present time and it's got nearly 45GB free with a few games and all of my apps.
Hi pparks1,
I constantly paid attention to reducing my "footprint" and had lots of utilities for that purpose. No, I didnt use every program every day, but who does ????
I am glad you have been able to make do on an 80 GB Drive - but I know I couldnt.
Bedises the full Microsoft Office suite, I have Adobe Photoshop CS2, Adobe Imageready, Adobe Photoshop CS3, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop Elements, Acrobat Professional, Microsoft Visio Professional, Itunes, Ulead Photo Explorer Pro, Ulead Video Studio 10, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera and perhaps several dozen other smaller programs. On top of that I have perhaps another dozen Utilities of various types for maintinence and benchmarking and even a few Games. Even my laptop's C drive has 75 GB of used space and thats with XP, a smaller OS than Win 7 Ultimate.

So clearly, my particular system could not live on an 80 GB SSD. Even 120 GB is too small. I dont want to fill up 80% of the Drive with stuff, I need room for more programs in the future. So I figure I'll initially fill up about half of the 256 GB SSD with plenty of room for the future.

Besides, I didnt spend that much more to get a 256 GB SSD - maybe a couple hundred $ at the most !!!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Sep 2010   #25
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by thehappyman View Post
Bedises the full Microsoft Office suite, I have Adobe Photoshop CS2, Adobe Imageready, Adobe Photoshop CS3, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop Elements, Acrobat Professional, Microsoft Visio Professional, Itunes, Ulead Photo Explorer Pro, Ulead Video Studio 10,
Wow, that's a lot of commercial software. I simply cannot afford all of that stuff. In fact, I don't have any of those.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Sep 2010   #26
thehappyman

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by thehappyman View Post
Bedises the full Microsoft Office suite, I have Adobe Photoshop CS2, Adobe Imageready, Adobe Photoshop CS3, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop Elements, Acrobat Professional, Microsoft Visio Professional, Itunes, Ulead Photo Explorer Pro, Ulead Video Studio 10,
Wow, that's a lot of commercial software. I simply cannot afford all of that stuff. In fact, I don't have any of those.
Hi pparks1
in adddition to my addiction to computers I am a digital photo and HD movie freak - I have about 50,000 large pics (and a bunch of HD movies) that Ive taken over the last 15 years. I love video editing. The computer is such a big part of my life, it rivals with my wife (ha ha). I like games but I dont play too many. Of course I dont even try to keep the photos or movies on the C drive. They take up a lot of room. And the music does too - I have several hundred albums in itunes and maybe another hundred podcasts and audiobooks.......

Cheers
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Sep 2010   #27
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Well, that explains your need for a big strong machine. I currently use 2 commercial pieces of software.....Microsoft Windows 7 is one of them and Acronis True Image 2010 is the other one. I just got a digital camcorder and am thinking of splurging on Sony Vegas Studio Platinum 10 Suite which is about $85. Everything else I use is free, or otherwise open source. And most of these things are tiny (firefox, notepad++, MSE, TrueCrypt, ImgBurn, filezilla, paint.net, etc).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Sep 2010   #28
thehappyman

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Well, that explains your need for a big strong machine. I currently use 2 commercial pieces of software.....Microsoft Windows 7 is one of them and Acronis True Image 2010 is the other one. I just got a digital camcorder and am thinking of splurging on Sony Vegas Studio Platinum 10 Suite which is about $85. Everything else I use is free, or otherwise open source. And most of these things are tiny (firefox, notepad++, MSE, TrueCrypt, ImgBurn, filezilla, paint.net, etc).
Hey pparks1
I just love Acronis True Image 2010 - I used it for backing up and restoring the Raptor 10,000 rpm RAID 0 Drive on my, now deceased, Quad Core Desktop. I just odered True Image Home 2011 for my new Six Core Desktop (core I7 980X) which will be arriving in 3 weeks. The 2011 version is totally Win 7 compatible.

Digital Video is a blast - my DV camcorder is a Sony - so is my Laptop. Sony makes great stuff. And I just got a free copy of TrueCrypt (which I have to play with)

Cheers
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Sep 2010   #29
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I heard Acronis changed the layout of 2011 and it's really hit or miss with people. I'm not having any issues with 2010...so I have no plans to upgrade at this point.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Sep 2010   #30
thehappyman

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
I heard Acronis changed the layout of 2011 and it's really hit or miss with people. I'm not having any issues with 2010...so I have no plans to upgrade at this point.
I hope they didnt mess it up !!!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Multi Purpose PC - Your Opinions Please




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Multi-Boot & Multi-Harddrive booting
OK. My computer multi-boots to Windows 7 & 8 right now. 8 is on an SSD. I am thinking about adding another HDD, moving 8 to the new HDD, and installing Windows 10 onto the SSD. If I disconnect the drives with 7 & 8 during the install, then add them to the boot menu after, can I make the...
Installation & Setup
Multi-Machine, Multi-License?
I would like to purchase a full version of Windows 7 Home Premium (not an upgrade) and install it on two different machines. Is this possible or do I need to buy 2 full copies of Windows 7? Can I just buy the one copy and get like a multi-license? Amazon sells Windows 7 Family Pacs for but it's...
Windows Updates & Activation
For what purpose aclayers.dll used for ?
I want to know usage of aclayers.dll in Windows 7 because i'm using an anti cheat named " Ucp Anti cheat " and aclayers.dll is blocking Ucp anti cheat and did not allowing to RUN.
Performance & Maintenance
What is the purpose of 64-bit IE?
I use 32-bit IE which is compatible with Flash, and all the various websites I browse. So what is the 64-bit version for? What situations require 64-bit IE instead of 32-bit? Are there any examples of websites that require 64-bit IE?
Browsers & Mail
multi users, multi ini files
Hi, I have a series of applications that depend on an INI file being in the Windows directory. Also, many diffeent users are allowed to log on and change the INI file. But Windows 7 places changed INI files in USER directories for the logged-on users. So my Apps never get to see the...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App