Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Unexpected Shutdown

06 Sep 2010   #1
pain55

windows 7 ultimate 32-bit
 
 
Unexpected Shutdown

Hi,

I was using my laptop for general browsing, when all of a sudden, it turned off. At first, I tried turning it back on, but it wouldn't, so I plugged in the charger and it turned on. It then reported that windows hadn't shutdown safely etc.

The thing is though, I checked the battery levels after re-starting, and it was at 25%. I have set my power options so that the laptop goes into hibernate when the battery is at 10% and at Do Nothing when it is at 25%.

So please can someone explain what happened?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
06 Sep 2010   #2
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

No one can tell you what happened, but we can offer educated guesses.
The first cause would be overheating. Do you know what the temps of your computer are during load.
Did you have a BSOD, did the screen turn blue?
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Sep 2010   #3
pain55

windows 7 ultimate 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
No one can tell you what happened, but we can offer educated guesses.
The first cause would be overheating. Do you know what the temps of your computer are during load.
Did you have a BSOD, did the screen turn blue?
SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer
No, there was no BSOD.

Just now I just let my laptop battery drain, until it hit critical level so that it would hibernate. But instead of hibernating, it just shut down as if the battery had fully gone. So I plugged in and re-started and the 'Windows did not shut down properly screen...' came up. I think this is what happened before. Can anyone tell me what the problem could be?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Sep 2010   #4
Anak

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit Ver 6.1.7600 Build 7601 - SP1
 
 

Hi,

The 2 most probable reasons could be:
  • CPU overheating
  • Power supply is going bad
To a lesser degree:

A failing memory or video card.

Do you notice the unit running hot to very hot?

According to this cnet review,
HP 2133 Mini-Note PC user ratings and Laptop user reviews and reviews - CNET Reviews two users have measured their units at 107, and 110 F.
This has led to motherboard failures.

The reviews also mention poor performance from the battery pack, can you obtain a known good one to see if it will re-create your situation?

Do you have an Ohm meter to take a reading of the battery voltage when this situation occurs? I would not trust the on board battery life indicator.

Batteries are known to show a resonable life, but once a certain point is reached they will drop out to zero voltage, and will not give enough power to shutdown properly.

Heat is also an enemy of batteries.

The 2133 is equiped with what is called DriveGuard if the unit is bumped or moved unexpectedly it will shutdown to save the HDD, but I do not think that is happening here.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Sep 2010   #5
bigmck

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pain55 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
No one can tell you what happened, but we can offer educated guesses.
The first cause would be overheating. Do you know what the temps of your computer are during load.
Did you have a BSOD, did the screen turn blue?
SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer
No, there was no BSOD.

Just now I just let my laptop battery drain, until it hit critical level so that it would hibernate. But instead of hibernating, it just shut down as if the battery had fully gone. So I plugged in and re-started and the 'Windows did not shut down properly screen...' came up. I think this is what happened before. Can anyone tell me what the problem could be?
When there is overheating, there is not a BSOD. It just turns off. Get the temperature program listed above and give it a try to find out if the problem is overheating.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Sep 2010   #6
pain55

windows 7 ultimate 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Hi,

The 2 most probable reasons could be:
  • CPU overheating
  • Power supply is going bad
To a lesser degree:

A failing memory or video card.

Do you notice the unit running hot to very hot?

According to this cnet review,
HP 2133 Mini-Note PC user ratings and Laptop user reviews and reviews - CNET Reviews two users have measured their units at 107, and 110 F.
This has led to motherboard failures.

The reviews also mention poor performance from the battery pack, can you obtain a known good one to see if it will re-create your situation?

Do you have an Ohm meter to take a reading of the battery voltage when this situation occurs? I would not trust the on board battery life indicator.

Batteries are known to show a resonable life, but once a certain point is reached they will drop out to zero voltage, and will not give enough power to shutdown properly.

Heat is also an enemy of batteries.

The 2133 is equiped with what is called DriveGuard if the unit is bumped or moved unexpectedly it will shutdown to save the HDD, but I do not think that is happening here.
Firstly, mate, I recently updated my graphics card driver, just to let you know.

Secondly, the laptop does get hot quite quick, after all it is a mini laptop.

Last year, the motherboard blew due to overheat, so HP replaced it whilst I was under warranty.

The DriveGuard only temporarily disables the HDD to prevent it from shock. So that can't be the reason.

Finally, running a HP Health Check shows that my battery has a 'good' status.

(A couple of months ago I remember letting my battery drain to critical level to see if it would hibernate, and it did. Don't know what is going on now.)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Sep 2010   #7
pain55

windows 7 ultimate 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigmck View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pain55 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
No one can tell you what happened, but we can offer educated guesses.
The first cause would be overheating. Do you know what the temps of your computer are during load.
Did you have a BSOD, did the screen turn blue?
SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer
No, there was no BSOD.

Just now I just let my laptop battery drain, until it hit critical level so that it would hibernate. But instead of hibernating, it just shut down as if the battery had fully gone. So I plugged in and re-started and the 'Windows did not shut down properly screen...' came up. I think this is what happened before. Can anyone tell me what the problem could be?
When there is overheating, there is not a BSOD. It just turns off. Get the temperature program listed above and give it a try to find out if the problem is overheating.
Well, I tried the SpeedFan and it only shoes CPU usage, nothing else. Here is a screenshot:


Attached Thumbnails
Unexpected Shutdown-untitled.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Sep 2010   #8
bigmck

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Do a search in Google for CPUID Hardware Monitor. It will show everything.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Sep 2010   #9
pain55

windows 7 ultimate 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigmck View Post
Do a search in Google for CPUID Hardware Monitor. It will show everything.
I ran the program and here is the screenshot:


Attached Thumbnails
Unexpected Shutdown-untitled.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Sep 2010   #10
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

They seem fine to me. 60 upper limits of acceptable.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Unexpected Shutdown




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Unexpected Shutdown
Sometimes my PC shutdown immediately after starting.Then I am unable to start it again by pressing power button.In the meantime one keyboard indicator light remains active.after temporary withdraw & reactivation of the main power source PC starts by pressing power button.Then it say's that window...
Hardware & Devices
Unexpected Shutdown
Hi, I am getting an unexpected shut down last few weeks ago. So, i refer to the GeekBuddy by COMODO. Somehow, the technician found out that my Windows is corrupted. I am not very sure whether he had fixed the problem already or not? But today, when i was resuming my hibernated computer.. My...
BSOD Help and Support
Unexpected Shutdown
My computer has been doing this for about a week. I haven't had time to do anything about it. I dont know why it started doing it. Also sometimes I'll get a blue screen that appears for about ten seconds before it turns off. there is a number that counts up to 100, and says Dumping Physical Memory....
BSOD Help and Support
unexpected shutdown
I thought this unexpected shutdown problem had gone away but now it is back. can anyone check out this file to see the problem
BSOD Help and Support
Unexpected shutdown
I have the following setting for my power options: 1. Low battery action: sleep 2. Critical battery action: hibernate Unfortunately my laptop never goes to the sleep mode. It directly goes in the hibernate mode. Once I resume from hibernation the laptop shuts down automatically after...
Performance & Maintenance


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:32.
Twitter Facebook Google+