Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Setting user name on folders

08 Sep 2010   #1
EpiCenter

Windows
 
 
Setting user name on folders

I installed windows, but used old drives with content.

Now all folders belong to some unknown users "S-1-5-21 etc".

I thought I could set it in properties on a folder and all sub folders would get it, but oooooh noooo - that doesn't happen.

Is there some easy way to set me as new user and remove the old obsolete username?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
08 Sep 2010   #2
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

Make a new user account and copy and paste the information from the folders

Dont forget the hidden folders
Hidden Files and Folders - Show or Hide
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Sep 2010   #3
EpiCenter

Windows
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
Make a new user account and copy and paste the information from the folders

Dont forget the hidden folders
Hidden Files and Folders - Show or Hide
I'm not making any new users that would just add even more dead accounts all over.

And what do you mean "information from the folders" copy the files which are in them? That would take forever, and I don't have the space to copy everything.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Sep 2010   #4
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

If you are referring to C\users\your name\name of folder
There is no way to change that, as far as I know, except to copy the contents to a new account.

If you refer to actual ownership, this may help
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...ship-file.html
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Sep 2010   #5
pjd

Win 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

@Epicenter, you can take ownership of the folders in question, no need to create more accounts

Here is a tweak that puts Take Ownership into the explorer context menu, have a look at it, maybe it will help.

Or you can do what I did, right click each of the old drives in explorer, select properties, select the security sheet and use its dialogues to make the changes.

I killed off UAC whilst I was doing this, saves all that Run as Admin crap and having tell Windows to get on with doing what you just asked it to do.

It will take a few minutes on each drive because it has to update the security data streams in each & every file & folder on the drive.

When you've done, you can set UAC back to its "normal" setting.

pjd
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Sep 2010   #6
EpiCenter

Windows
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pjd View Post
@Epicenter, you can take ownership of the folders in question, no need to create more accounts

Here is a tweak that puts Take Ownership into the explorer context menu, have a look at it, maybe it will help.
Yeah, except no - I found the "takeown" command and thought I was set, so i ran it on all drives. Except that doesn't really work either - I "own" the folder, but that doesn't mean I necessarily have access to it! (I hate this supposed "security", it doesn't do anything to add security for me, it only hinders my usage of my computer and annoys me)

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pjd View Post
Or you can do what I did, right click each of the old drives in explorer, select properties, select the security sheet and use its dialogues to make the changes.

I killed off UAC whilst I was doing this, saves all that Run as Admin crap and having tell Windows to get on with doing what you just asked it to do.

It will take a few minutes on each drive because it has to update the security data streams in each & every file & folder on the drive.
Yeah, except that doesn't work either.

I did try that before posting here, but it didn't do the recursive dance properly - ie, there are still sub sub sub folders, where i'm not in the user group list.

(I'm not sure what the right term is, when you select properties\security it lists names and groups in "group or user names" - apparently my user name needs to be there before i can copy files etc to the folder)

On the page richc46 linked to Brink suggests using icacls.

I tried using that, but and it does add my username to the folders but it doesn't add any actual permissions, (as in full control/read/modify etc - nothing is checked) - and it doesn't remove the dead users from the entry.

sigh.


Thanks for your assistance though.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Sep 2010   #7
EpiCenter

Windows
 
 

Grrr, now I'm trying to save a text file from my editor and I get the message "A required privilege is not held by the client"! What the heck does that mean and how do i get that 'required privilege'
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Sep 2010   #8
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Hello EpiCenter,

PLEASE STOP...

You're getting this error because you took ownership of the whole C: drive, or some mistake was made with your "S-1-5-21 etc" registry entries. You should never do this. Do a system restore using a restore point dated before you did this to undo it. If you do not have a restore point available, then you may need to do a repair install.


You cannot change the actual name of the C:\Users\(user-name) folder in Windows.

The only way around this would be to create a new administrator account with the name you like, then copy all of the contents of the old user account's C:\Users\(user-name) folders (including hidden AppData folder) into the corresponding new account's C:\Users\(user-name) folder. After everything checks out ok in the new account, you can delete the old user account while logged in the new user account.


Hope this helps,
Shawn
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Sep 2010   #9
EpiCenter

Windows
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Hello EpiCenter,

PLEASE STOP...

You're getting this error because you took ownership of the whole C: drive,
Too late now.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
or some mistake was made with your "S-1-5-21 etc" registry entries. You should never do this.
I haven't edited the register for "S-1 etc" since as I said it was on folders (and not in this registry)

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Do a system restore using a restore point dated before you did this to undo it. If you do not have a restore point available, then you may need to do a repair install.
I'll reinstall if it seems necessary. For now i disabled UAC.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
You cannot change the actual name of the C:\Users\(user-name) folder in Windows.
I never asked about that in this thread.

I do find it odd though, that the system could be screwed up because the owner wants to be owner.

Also, as I mentioned further up in this thread - when I took ownership of some other folders that didn't mean I could actually access them - because apparently there is a difference between being an owner and having access.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
The only way around this would be to create a new administrator account with the name you like, then copy all of the contents of the old user account's C:\Users\(user-name) folders (including hidden AppData folder) into the corresponding new account's C:\Users\(user-name) folder. After everything checks out ok in the new account, you can delete the old user account while logged in the new user account.
I had previously moved that to another drive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Sep 2010   #10
pjd

Win 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

@Epicenter - sorry mate, my bad, twice over too

1. I assumed we were talking about drives other than C:

2. I should have suggested that your win7 login id take Ownership and have Full Control of the data drives/directories.

If you reinstall I suggest you give Windows and application software a dedicated drive, 100G should be plenty. Keep all your data on a separate drive(s), don't bother with My Documents, My Pictures etc - leave them in the default locations on drive C: and use them sparingly where you've no other choice - but don't keep anything there permanently.

pjd
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Closed Thread

 Setting user name on folders




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
A Setting to do with folders I cannot seem to find.
Alright you know how in Windows 7 when you say click on an item thats on the right side of the folder for example, how windows 7 will auto scroll over 1 forcing you to have to move your mouse back over to click the item.. Is there anyway to disable this? Windows xp or 98 never did this and I find...
General Discussion
Moving User Folders - additional folders appear
I have just done a clean install of Win 7 Pro 64. I have set up four accounts and for each one I have moved the user folders to a separate hard drive by using the Right Click Properties > Location > Move. I have done this for the following folders: - Desktop - Downloads - My Documents -...
Customization
Moving user folders; User picture error
Hi all, I am trying to move my users, and all future users folders (i.e. documents, desktop, appdata etc) from my SSD to a regular HD. I followed a few tutorials and moved each folder by right clicking it and clicking the "Move" button on the location tab After that, I editted the keys...
Customization
User Folders - Moving User Folders by Modular Script
Hi All, This script was initially made in French by Alain Quarré, the author. I found it,lot of people too, very convenient and easy to handle so I asked the author for an english version,he kindly accepted to do the changes and agreed that I post it in this forum You can read his original...
Tutorials
How to mount folders on external drive to user folders.
Hi, I have installed Windows 7 because I need it for my Degree course and my son's iPod touch. I have only given it 30 gigs of space. I realize I'm going to need more. I have an external drive that I have formatted ntfs. I have seen a tutorial here ...
General Discussion
Setting up public and user folders
Hi. I would like to move my public and user folders to my second partition. After lack of succes with googling for win7 tutorial of how to do this, i tried this tutorial. However now it is changed in the registry however the computer does not seem to register it....
Customization


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:28.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App