Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Want to get Win 7 BUT..

06 Oct 2010   #11
mikedl

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

That is much more clear. I never used Vista; skipped over it. I had no idea that it was ever an option to re-order files in such a manner within explorer. It certainly was not an option in any other version of Windows I have ever used without third party software.

BTW, you're going to love Win 7!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
06 Oct 2010   #12
spongebobWins

Windows7 / Ubuntu
 
 

Sure hope so! In the mean time, I will write to Microsoft, asking them to sort out this oddity. It will drive me insane!!!!! lolz
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Oct 2010   #13
madtownidiot

 

the way to re-sort files while viewing a folder in windows 7 is by changing the folder view to "details", then left clicking on the category you wish to sort them by: once to sort in ascending order, twice to sort by descending order.

You can also add or remove the types of details you want to display by right clicking on one of the column headers. If you select "more" you get dozens to choose from
Attachment 102678
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Oct 2010   #14
mikedl

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by spongebobWins View Post
Sure hope so! In the mean time, I will write to Microsoft, asking them to sort out this oddity. It will drive me insane!!!!! lolz
And that will be different, how? J/K!

Trust me, you really will like Win 7 but don't hold your breath waiting for a response from MSFT regarding your issue. We need more youngins like you to help develop the next version of Windows.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Oct 2010   #15
MacGyvr

Windows 7 Ultimate RTM (Technet)
 
 

OMG people. The OP does not want to "sort" his files. He wants to drag and drop them into a particular order of his choosing and have them stay. This is not possible in Windows 7 and has been discussed ad nauseum in other threads on this board.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Oct 2010   #16
mikedl

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MacGyvr View Post
OMG people. The OP does not want to "sort" his files. He wants to drag and drop them into a particular order of his choosing and have them stay. This is not possible in Windows 7 and has been discussed ad nauseum in other threads on this board.
Yeah, we get that. I never knew such was ever possible without third party software.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Oct 2010   #17
spongebobWins

Windows7 / Ubuntu
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MacGyvr View Post
OMG people. The OP does not want to "sort" his files. He wants to drag and drop them into a particular order of his choosing and have them stay. This is not possible in Windows 7 and has been discussed ad nauseum in other threads on this board.
haha. I'm glad other people are concerned.

Thanks all for your replies.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Oct 2010   #18
wilywombat

win7
 
 

It has never been possible to my knowledge in any version of windows. Things can only be sored by the columns that are available for display. In the OP's post where the issue is "solved" in their second image they have only soted by name alphabetically and in the third they have only sorted by file type.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Oct 2010   #19
mikedl

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Let's try to put the past behind, OK?

spongebob, have your queries been addressed to your satisfaction?

I'm still uncertain about the ability to rearrange a list in explorer by simply dragging the files into any random order one so chooses. However, as I mentioned previously, I never used Vista so I cannot assert with any certainty as to whether or not it is actually possible.

In the meantime, spongebob, I was glad to read your comment stating you will be going to Win 7. You'll find it is the best OS out of Redmond to date.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Oct 2010   #20
spongebobWins

Windows7 / Ubuntu
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mikedl View Post
Let's try to put the past behind, OK?

spongebob, have your queries been addressed to your satisfaction?

I'm still uncertain about the ability to rearrange a list in explorer by simply dragging the files into any random order one so chooses. However, as I mentioned previously, I never used Vista so I cannot assert with any certainty as to whether or not it is actually possible.

In the meantime, spongebob, I was glad to read your comment stating you will be going to Win 7. You'll find it is the best OS out of Redmond to date.
Yes my queries have been addressed.

I'm seriously alright with it not being possible!!!! Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Want to get Win 7 BUT..




Thread Tools



Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App