Run / Download problem


  1. Posts : 79
    Windows 7
       #1

    Run / Download problem


    Default Browser is Firefox 3.6.10. And I have the "OpenDownload Addon" Which gives me the "Run" as in IE. I also have Secunia installed which points out updates required. Say I'm upgrading Java and I click on "Run". It downloads the update into a temp folder I guess, but I get this Download error:
    "C:\Users\Allan\AppData\Local\Temp\mozOpenDownload could not be saved, because you cannot change the contents of that folder.

    Change the folder properties and try again, or try saving in a different location."
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 54,119
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #2

    Are you using the latest version?

    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/10329/

    If so, perhaps try taking ownership of that folder?

    Take Ownership Shortcut

    A Guy
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 79
    Windows 7
    Thread Starter
       #3

    A Guy said:
    Are you using the latest version?

    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/10329/

    If so, perhaps try taking ownership of that folder?

    Take Ownership Shortcut

    A Guy
    Thanks, but still the same. Latest version. Took ownership, unchecked "Read Only".
    it's under a Temp folder and shouldn't be a problem with ownership. I think I'll delete the contents under Temp (quite a few) and try that.

    C:\Users\Allan\AppData\Local\Temp\mozOpenDownload

    Edit: That didn't work either; also folder remains "Read Only"
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 8,608
    Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit SP1
       #4

    Hi AllanP, see if this way works...

    Updating Java:
    • Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6.
    • Scroll down to where it says "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6u22 allows end-users to run Java applications".
    • Click the "Download" button to the right.
    • Check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
    • The page will refresh.
    • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation with or without Multi-language and save to your desktop.
    • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
    • Go to Start > Control Panel double-click on Add/Remove programs and remove all older versions of Java.
    • Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
    • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
    • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
    • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
    • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u22-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 79
    Windows 7
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Jacee said:
    Hi AllanP, see if this way works...

    Updating Java:
    • Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6.
    • Scroll down to where it says "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6u22 allows end-users to run Java applications".
    • Click the "Download" button to the right.
    • Check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
    • The page will refresh.
    • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation with or without Multi-language and save to your desktop.
    • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
    • Go to Start > Control Panel double-click on Add/Remove programs and remove all older versions of Java.
    • Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
    • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
    • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
    • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
    • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u22-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version.
    Thanks. I do have the latest Java installed. I just used it as an example related to Secunia PSI and updating software using the "Run" command. I am able to download and install software. Actually I can use the "run" command on a download site in Firefox. It's just from within Secunia. I gues when I started the thread I thought it was a problem with Firefox and Windows. Now I think it's between Secunia and Firefox.
    Last edited by AllanP; 18 Oct 2010 at 07:21.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 6,285
    Windows 10 Pro X64
       #6

    Sounds life FireFox still has the file locked after the download completes so Secunia can not open it. Install Lock Hunter then the next time it fails, use Windows Explorer to navigate to the folder the file is in then right click on it and select What is locking this file, see if that tells you what is happening.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 79
    Windows 7
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Ztruker said:
    Sounds life FireFox still has the file locked after the download completes so Secunia can not open it. Install Lock Hunter then the next time it fails, use Windows Explorer to navigate to the folder the file is in then right click on it and select What is locking this file, see if that tells you what is happening.
    Thanks. I did the "Run" from within Firefox installing Lock Hunter and it worked fine. I'll have to wait 'til my next Secunia experience.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:38.
Find Us