Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Looking for advice on partitions

04 Jun 2009   #21
smarteyeball

 
 

Personally I have all my video, music, iso, downloads, installed games etc on separate drives/partitions.

I tend to install "general apps" like 7-zip, nero, firefox, office etc on the OS drive. The majority of apps need to have regisrty entires anyway and re-installing a handful of apps is easier than trying to repair semi-broken installations.

When it comes time to reformat/re-install, I just make a copy of my Public Folder and my Users Folder which contain app config settings, saved games and the like.

Once I've re-installed, it's then a simple issue to re-install an app and then copy it's config/settings back to the original location and continue on. ie Firefox settings/add-ons.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
04 Jun 2009   #22
tw33k

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
Personally I have all my video, music, iso, downloads, installed games etc on separate drives/partitions.
same here
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jun 2009   #23
Chappy

Vista Ult 64bit - Windows 7 Ult 7264 64bit
 
 

Having any programs you install, keep their folders on a separate partition doesn't make it any easier when it comes to a reinstall. You can't have them work again after the reinstall, they must be installed again into the new OS image so it's easiest just to keep installed programs on the C: drive.
Music, documents, pictures and the like are a different matter and most of us keep those on separate partitions or drives since they aren't "installed".

Something some of us do is to keep a programs Data files, the ones that hold the user config info (how it looks, columns, setup..etc) on a separate drive so when we do reinstall the OS and then install the programs again, the data files stay put and the program starts up just as it was before the OS reinstall. That's a bit more complicated as to do this you have to do a custom install to point the user data files to this location.
Or an alternative to that is simply learn where your fave programs keep their user config data (usually AppData\Roaming or Local) and before you reinstall, transfer those files to a temp drive location and after the reinstall (OS & program(s)) then copy them back and your fave programs will have all the setup still the same.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Jun 2009   #24
stevieray

windows 7 x64 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
Having any programs you install, keep their folders on a separate partition doesn't make it any easier when it comes to a reinstall. You can't have them work again after the reinstall, they must be installed again into the new OS image so it's easiest just to keep installed programs on the C: drive.
OK, now I understand. I've never had to reinstall an OS on any of my machines, so I've never run across this stuff before. So if I've only got one more activation on a three pc key, I should hold off installing it for now.

Quote:
Something some of us do is to keep a programs Data files, the ones that hold the user config info (how it looks, columns, setup..etc) on a separate drive so when we do reinstall the OS and then install the programs again, the data files stay put and the program starts up just as it was before the OS reinstall. That's a bit more complicated as to do this you have to do a custom install to point the user data files to this location.
Or an alternative to that is simply learn where your fave programs keep their user config data (usually AppData\Roaming or Local) and before you reinstall, transfer those files to a temp drive location and after the reinstall (OS & program(s)) then copy them back and your fave programs will have all the setup still the same.
So this way, I can keep the customization of, let's say, Firefox. I would just need to download the raw FF, and all of my add-ons could be saved in D temporarily, then moved back to C.

Alright. The logic behind everybody's advice is starting to settle in.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jun 2009   #25
davehc
Microsoft MVP

Vista and now 7 in 32 and 64 bit.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stevieray View Post
So if I've only got one more activation on a three pc key, I should hold off installing it for now.

Alright. The logic behind everybody's advice is starting to settle in.

Correct. If you get hold of an image program (Acronis - the best, or paragon - close second) an make a total image of your OS after basic customisation and activation, then, when and if you reinstall the image, the activation goes with it and you have no need to reactivate.

Regarding the above helpful posts, I copy the whole of my Users - username folder somewhere safe. It holds most of the data you will need, including personal files, pictures etc.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jun 2009   #26
stevieray

windows 7 x64 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by davehc View Post
Correct. If you get hold of an image program (Acronis - the best, or paragon - close second) an make a total image of your OS after basic customisation and activation, then, when and if you reinstall the image, the activation goes with it and you have no need to reactivate.
I suppose I could slipstream those third party apps into a new Win7 installation disk as well.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Looking for advice on partitions




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Need advice with disk partitions; (should D: be NTFS?)
Hi Folks I've got some questions for you clever people regarding the disk partitions on my HP Pavilion G6 laptop. The machine has been running more or less smoothly for probably over a year now - but my question originates from a result given to me by my anti-virus software. I'm going to...
General Discussion
How to create home partitions and partitions for the OS with programs?
Hello, One of my friends has a windows 7 computer with an account for himself, his mother and his 2 sisters. All the home directorys are stored in drive C. Partition D is shared. The question is, how to get a partition layout like this? Partition 1: OS + programs Partition 2: home partition...
Installation & Setup
Partitions - View Hidden Partitions
How to View Hidden Partitions I got the idea for this tutorial after reading Greg’s posting # 42 in this thread. The method described there is workable with a running system, but when the system does not boot, the method in this tutorial will work though. The main interest in hidden...
Tutorials
Put 2 Partitions Together?
Hello i just need to do this... Any help is appreciated :) hope it is easy to understand ;) I tried to to right click and goto extend volume but didn't work. (That option was faded out)
Hardware & Devices
Partitions
I made a mistake when installing Windows 7 on a 150GB hard drive which previously had three partitions.I formatted all three and chose to install the OS to a 75 gb partition. Everything installed ok but I am 75 GB down on hard disc space. Is there any simple ways to amalgamate the other 75GB...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:09.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App