Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: New Laptop Questions.

04 Nov 2010   #21
Kari

 

It seems you still have a lot of those MediaSmart and Cyberlink apps there. It's of course up to you to decide what to keep and what not, but especially those MediaSmart apps are for me like a red scarf to the bull . Same with Cyberlink.

I know this is only my own, possibly very subjective opinion, but it is based on my personal long experience on HP computers. Before retirement, our company used only HP computers. Geeks there are still using them. Personally, in our household we only use HP's, at the moment a HP server, a HTPC, a normal desktop, two Pavilion series laptops and an Envy notebook. An average lifespan of a computer in our household is about two years, meaning I get to play with 1 to 3 new HP's a year.

Personally, I have my own system to start using a new computer. When unpacking a new HP, I boot it first time from my own Windows installation DVD and replace the pre-installed OS & bloatware with a clean install. Especially if the computer came with Home Premium or Basic; I need Ultimate or Enterprise to make my computers multilingual. I use Audit Mode(*) and sysprep to permanently move user folders and Program Data folder to a second HD or partition.

After this, I reboot the new computer, enter the names of the user accounts, download and install drivers for chipset and GPU (only these two) from HP's site, reboot once more and then let the Windows Update do it's magic. After several rounds of updating and rebooting, when WU is happy, I check the Device Manager to see which - if any - drivers are still missing, and download them from HP's site.

After one more reboot, I have a pure Windows with no trace of bloatware, programs I would not use in any case, user folders on separate disk or partition, as well as Program Data folder. I install the software needed, transfer the user settings and files from the old one, and my new computer is ready to rock and roll.

Pros:
- really "clean" install
- startup functions and features as I want them, not as HP has decided
- a lot of extra space on HD's

Cons:
- you need a separate copy of Windows, when not using pre-installed one
- this takes some time

Anyway, every geek has his / her own way to do it. This is my way.

Kari

(*) You can enter Audit Mode by pressing CTRL + Shift + F3 when installation stops to ask your username and computer name. Audit Mode can only be entered at this point and it can not be used later, after completing the installation. Audit mode lets you, with the help of sysprep, to modify your Windows 7 installation before any user accounts are created, using the built-in administrator account.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
04 Nov 2010   #22
The Howling Wolves

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
It seems you still have a lot of those MediaSmart and Cyberlink apps there. It's of course up to you to decide what to keep and what not, but especially those MediaSmart apps are for me like a red scarf to the bull . Same with Cyberlink.

I know this is only my own, possibly very subjective opinion, but it is based on my personal long experience on HP computers. Before retirement, our company used only HP computers. Geeks there are still using them. Personally, in our household we only use HP's, at the moment a HP server, a HTPC, a normal desktop, two Pavilion series laptops and an Envy notebook. An average lifespan of a computer in our household is about two years, meaning I get to play with 1 to 3 new HP's a year.

Personally, I have my own system to start using a new computer. When unpacking a new HP, I boot it first time from my own Windows installation DVD and replace the pre-installed OS & bloatware with a clean install. Especially if the computer came with Home Premium or Basic; I need Ultimate or Enterprise to make my computers multilingual. I use Audit Mode(*) and sysprep to move user folders and Program Data folder to a second HD or partition.

After this, I reboot the new computer, enter the names of the user accounts, download and install drivers for chipset and GPU (only these two) from HP's site, reboot once more and then let the Windows Update do it's magic. After several rounds of updating and rebooting, when WU is happy, I check the Device Manager to see which - if any - drivers are still missing, and download them from HP's site.

After one more reboot, I have a pure Windows with no trace of bloatware, programs I would not use in any case, user folders on separate disk or partition, as well as Program Data folder. I install the software needed, transfer the user settings and files from the old one, and my new computer is ready to rock and roll.

Pros:
- really "clean" install
- startup functions and features as I want them, not as HP has decided
- a lot of extra space on HD's

Cons:
- you need a separate copy of Windows, when not using pre-installed one
- this takes some time

Anyway, every geek has his / her own way to do it. This is my way.

Kari

(*) You can enter Audit Mode by pressing CTRL + Shift + F3 when installation stops to ask your username and computer name. Audit Mode can only be entered at this point and it can not be used later. Audit mode lets you, with the help of sysprep, to modify your Windows 7 installation before any user accounts are created, using the built-in administrator account.
Kari,
Thanks for the tips!
Unfortunately the HP came with OEM Home Premium and NO discs for anything.

I have already installed MS Office Pro 2007, My graphics software, MSE AV, MBAM and a few others. Did all the updates for Windows and MS Office so I am screwed for doing a clean install.

I will get rid of Media Smart and Cyberlink this morning.
Ran the SFC /scan now and came out clean as a whistle.
Thanks again my friend and MAKE DAMNED SURE YOU GET SOME REST TODAY!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2010   #23
Kari

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by The Howling Wolves View Post
Kari,
Thanks for the tips!
Unfortunately the HP came with OEM Home Premium and NO discs for anything.

I have already installed MS Office Pro 2007, My graphics software, MSE AV, MBAM and a few others. Did all the updates for Windows and MS Office so I am screwed for doing a clean install.

I will get rid of Media Smart and Cyberlink this morning.
Ran the SFC /scan now and came out clean as a whistle.
Thanks again my friend and MAKE DAMNED SURE YOU GET SOME REST TODAY!!!
Got the rest already, fell asleep while being massaged earlier today. Had speech lessons and vocal therapy before that, it was so boring -as usual- that the moment the masseuse's hands touched my body, I fell asleep. Feeling "rejuvenated" now
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Nov 2010   #24
The Howling Wolves

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by The Howling Wolves View Post
Kari,
Thanks for the tips!
Unfortunately the HP came with OEM Home Premium and NO discs for anything.

I have already installed MS Office Pro 2007, My graphics software, MSE AV, MBAM and a few others. Did all the updates for Windows and MS Office so I am screwed for doing a clean install.

I will get rid of Media Smart and Cyberlink this morning.
Ran the SFC /scan now and came out clean as a whistle.
Thanks again my friend and MAKE DAMNED SURE YOU GET SOME REST TODAY!!!
Got the rest already, fell asleep while being massaged earlier today. Had speech lessons and vocal therapy before that, it was so boring -as usual- that the moment the masseuse's hands touched my body, I fell asleep. Feeling "rejuvenated" now
Can I rent,pay or borrow the Masseuse's hands for about ............2 minutes?
Being an "Old Man" shouldn't take too long.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2010   #25
A Guy

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Dennis, download and run PC Decrapifier. It won't delete anything unless you tell it to:

What it removes:

Application List | The PC Decrapifier

Welcome | The PC Decrapifier

A Guy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 New Laptop Questions.




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Ram speed and cpu questions for my laptop
Hello! so i bought some corsair 1600mhz 8Gb ram for my Hp pavilion 2111so and i late,y made a geekbench test just becouse... S anyway it said my ram was 670mhz and i was like what the?? im having 1600mhz, so i thought, maybe my system is not using my rams full potencial and becouse its a apu system...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Questions about moving Windows 7 + HDD from old laptop to new laptop
Hi there, I've got a few questions about what would happen with Windows if I were to move my old HDD from my laptop into a new one. Some info: I have a retail copy of Windows 7; my hard drive is not original to my laptop because the original HD died; if it's possible to do a simple swap, my...
Hardware & Devices
New laptop setup, SSD questions
I ordered a new laptop that should be delivered tomorrow, and I was hoping someone could answer a few questions for me. This is the laptop I ordered: Buy.com - Toshiba Satellite U845W 14.4" Core i5 6GB Widescreen Ultrabook I have never had a SSD before. The Windows 7 will be already installed on...
Installation & Setup
Questions about replacing HP laptop cpu?
Hi, I have an HP g42-415dx laptop with Windows 7 64 bit and AMD Dual-Core Athlon II P340 which I would like to replace for a faster AMD Quad-Core Phenom II P960 from e-Bay. List of what both processors have in common: THEY ARE BOTH 25 TDP WATTS --Core Name: Champlain...
General Discussion
Questions re partitioning HD on a new laptop
I recently purchased a new laptop, and it came with several preloaded software programs. I partitioned the HD on my desktop PC 2 years ago and want to do same to new laptop. (Create an 0S partition and a data partition) My first question is must I reformat the HD and reinstall the OS or can...
General Discussion
New laptop with Win 7 and some basic questions
I am getting a new laptop for Christmas and will be using Win 7 64bit for the first time. I've been using Win XP and since I was the only one using the laptop, I only had an admin account which I now know is a big no-no. So..... I will be creating an admin account and a user account with...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:45.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App