Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Open a new window with "full path" instead of Search Results\"Path"

22 May 2011   #21
BlueKiwi

Windows 7 Pro 32 bit SP1
 
 
show path in search results

Changing the View to Details will only show the path for each result if you also enable it: right click in the column heading row, select "more" and scroll down to "path". This shows the full path to each result - so you don't have to do the 'open file location' to see it. It persists for subsequent searches.
-BlueKiwi


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
23 May 2011   #22
periboob

Windows 7 Pro 64
 
 

I know this is an old thread, and OP likely does not care any more, but it was a little interesting. When a search process results in a folder, now and then, what I want is to work with that folder in its proper place on the folder tree, not as a search result.

What worked for me, was to add an "Explorer.exe" shortcut to the SendTo list, now when search results in a folder that I want to open, I can right-click the folder icon, and "send it" to Explorer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jul 2011   #23
ewinbee

Windows 7 Professional 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by periboob View Post
I know this is an old thread, and OP likely does not care any more, but it was a little interesting. When a search process results in a folder, now and then, what I want is to work with that folder in its proper place on the folder tree, not as a search result.

What worked for me, was to add an "Explorer.exe" shortcut to the SendTo list, now when search results in a folder that I want to open, I can right-click the folder icon, and "send it" to Explorer.
Thank you for this, periboob. I really needed a solution to this problem; I'm frequently searching for one folder among hundreds at my job (if I weren't, I probably wouldn't need to search for it, right?) -- and then sending the full paths via email to coworkers -- so "Open Containing Folder" is pretty much the same thing as not having found it at all. There are workarounds, but honestly. Why on earth would Windows have this as a feature? Does anybody ever really require a static "this is what I searched for" folder?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

20 Jul 2011   #24
Dzomlija

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ewinbee View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by periboob View Post
I know this is an old thread, and OP likely does not care any more, but it was a little interesting. When a search process results in a folder, now and then, what I want is to work with that folder in its proper place on the folder tree, not as a search result.

What worked for me, was to add an "Explorer.exe" shortcut to the SendTo list, now when search results in a folder that I want to open, I can right-click the folder icon, and "send it" to Explorer.
Thank you for this, periboob. I really needed a solution to this problem; I'm frequently searching for one folder among hundreds at my job (if I weren't, I probably wouldn't need to search for it, right?) -- and then sending the full paths via email to coworkers -- so "Open Containing Folder" is pretty much the same thing as not having found it at all. There are workarounds, but honestly. Why on earth would Windows have this as a feature? Does anybody ever really require a static "this is what I searched for" folder?
Once you've used "Open Containing Folder", you can go into the folder that you have searched for, and then right-click on the address bar of explorer, and select "Copy address as text".

From there you can paste it into an e-mail if you like, or do whatever you want with it. No need for workarounds or special send-to shortcuts...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jul 2011   #25
ewinbee

Windows 7 Professional 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dzomlija View Post
you can go into the folder that you have searched for
When you have to locate a folder that you just searched for, the search feature is officially broken.

Thank you, though; I actually use this solution every time I already know where a folder is.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jul 2011   #26
Dzomlija

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ewinbee View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dzomlija View Post
you can go into the folder that you have searched for
When you have to locate a folder that you just searched for, the search feature is officially broken.

Thank you, though; I actually use this solution every time I already know where a folder is.
When you click on "Open Folder Location" (or "Open File Location"), the search results go away, and the folder you have searched for is selected. Press <ENTER> or double-click to open it.

To get back to your search results, just click the "Back" button...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Oct 2011   #27
PaulDPearl

All of them (except macintrash)
 
 

How is there not a way to do this - this is the dumbest "feature" I've found to date...

"Open file location" when you click on a folder opens the folder you just searched (not the one you found.. the one you searched)... useless! might as well just use the old fashion method of manually looking for what you're looking for.

The only work-o-round I've found is to RDP into a windows XP box and use THAT to search said folder to get results and open the folder.

The reason I need this ability is to copy the path into my clipboard to paste it somewhere else. For instance, I want to e-mail my boss the path location of a given file or folder...

Tell me wht your boss would tell you when you give him this:


search-ms:displayname=Search%20Results%20in%20Walk%20Out%20Packages%20-%20Hotels%20Data&crumb=System.Generic.String%3A(la%20jolla)&crumb=location:O%3A%5CWi-Fi%5CWalk%20Out%20Packages%20-%20Hotels%20Data
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Mar 2013   #28
AnCompUserAn

Win7 - 32
 
 

After search results in Win 7, Right click on file and get option Open file location, then press Shift and then click on Open file location and a new window will open with the file highlighted and the search results window will also remain intact like in Windows XP. Thanks to solution provided in

Windows 7 Annoyances: Tips, Secrets, and Solutions - David A. Karp - Google Books
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Mar 2013   #29
AnCompUserAn

Win7 - 32
 
 
search results in Win 7, open file in new window

After search results in Win 7, Right click on file and get option Open file location, then press Shift and then click on Open file location and a new window will open with the file highlighted and the search results window will also remain intact like in Windows XP. Thanks to solution provided in

Windows 7 Annoyances: Tips, Secrets, and Solutions - David A. Karp - Google Books
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Mar 2013   #30
AnCompUserAn

Win7 - 32
 
 
search results in Win 7, open file in new window

After search results in Win 7, Right click on file and get option Open file location, then press Shift and then click on Open file location and a new window will open with the file highlighted and the search results window will also remain intact like in Windows XP. Thanks to solution provided in

Windows 7 Annoyances: Tips, Secrets, and Solutions - David A. Karp - Google Books
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Open a new window with "full path" instead of Search Results\"Path"




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
audio CD: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file.."
Hello all here is my recent problem: When I put an audio CD in my CD/DVD drive, and double click the drive icon, or if I right click and select Play, I get the following message: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access...
Music, Pictures & Video
Search Results window "spams" itself (it opens many times)
Good day everyone! My problem here deals with the Search Results window, it "spams" itself unintentionally. First, I've encountered this problem moments ago when I turned on my PC. And during startup, suddenly, lots of windows of Search Results began to pop out! I tried to solve my problem by my...
General Discussion
Windows 7 Startup Message "The path is not of a legal form."
Hi guys, I'm very new to forums and not very good with pc technical stuff so hoping you guys out there can throw me a rope ! All of a sudden, my pc now has this small message box load when it gets to the desktop which says "The path is not of a legal form." I have searched everywhere on...
General Discussion
Teracopy: "Open error: The system cannot find the path specified"
I'd like to use Teracopy for all copying etc. but after moving to 7 from xp it's giving me these errors. I have Win 7 Pro 64-bit. I copy from network drive for which I have read and write permissions as windows' own copy works fine. But with teracopy I immediately get error "Open error: The...
Software
How to add "Copy path" and "Copy name" to context menu?
Hello! Do you know how to add "Copy path" and "copy name" to context menu? Like this screen shot!:p http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/8cf090f987.png
General Discussion
Get back to "Classic" or copy/paste file path
I need alot of times to copy & past the path.. So I got W7 to show the full path under the tools file options.. But it states ther it will only work in classic mode. I can't find how to get back to classic mode, or if there is another way to copy/paste a file path, I'm all ears.
Customization


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App