Win 7 Automatically Logs Me Out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 6
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
       #1

    Win 7 Automatically Logs Me Out


    I am having trouble with my notebook. I recently decided to turn on the screensaver to "blank" after 10 minutes and set the power managemet to never turn off the display under either power condition. I would leave my computer for 10 minutes or so and then when I would come back, I was logged out. Yes, I mean logged out as in all open, running applications were closed, not just at the login screen. I searched the web and found many others with a similar problem. Most replies refer to the check box on the screensaver setup page that says "on resume, display logon screen." This is quite different though as even with that checked, the current user is not actually logged off and the running applications are not shutdown. I (and others with this problem) are actually being logged off. Incidentally, the box is not checked, and now the screensaver is diabled. Power management is set to never turn anything off, ever. I still have the problem. I then saw a post that said I needed to uncheck the "require password to logon" option in the user settings. Seemed odd since my computer worked as it should for the last 9 months with that option checked (by default), but I gave it a try. The system still logs me out. I then went back to the screensaver and re-enabled it with the "bubbles" but this time, I set the timeout to 9999 minutes, figuring that it would then take a week of idle time before it logged me out, if in fact that was the problem. Didn't work, still being logged out with applications running. I have searched all over the web, but can't find a solution. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 8,608
    Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit SP1
       #2

    What are your settings in sleep, hybrid sleep and hybernation?
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 6
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #3

    None. Never sleep. Never hibernate. When I come back to the machine afer 10 min or so and it has me logged out, it is not asleep or hibernated. The screen is just blank (not turned off, but on and black). When I touch a key or the mouse pad, it immediately logs me in (I am the only user account set up on the machine).
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 6
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #4

    Incidentally, I just hibernated and then powered back up and the machine came back to where I left off (as it should). It did not log me out and quit my applications. The fact that it's forcing my programs to end is the most frustrating part.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 826
    Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit SP1
       #5

    Does it do that to any of your other accounts on the computer?

    ColradoGuy said:
    Incidentally, I just hibernated and then powered back up and the machine came back to where I left off (as it should). It did not log me out and quit my applications. The fact that it's forcing my programs to end is the most frustrating part.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 6
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #6

    I only have the one account. I am the sole user. Guest account is disabled.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 826
    Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit SP1
       #7

    The reason I asked is two-fold. Using a second account to test this theory might reveal if it is just a problem specific to your account or settings lodged in your registry that didn't correct themselves (if it happened on both accounts.)

    ColradoGuy said:
    I only have the one account. I am the sole user. Guest account is disabled.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 6
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #8

    I'll set up another account and give it a try...
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 6
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #9

    OK I created another user account with admin rights. Under the default settings, everything worked great. No screensaver, no power management and most importantly, no logoff! So where do I go from here?
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 47
    Windows 7 HOME PREMIUM 64-bit
       #10

    ColradoGuy said:
    I am having trouble with my notebook. I recently decided to turn on the screensaver to "blank" after 10 minutes and set the power managemet to never turn off the display under either power condition. I would leave my computer for 10 minutes or so and then when I would come back, I was logged out. Yes, I mean logged out as in all open, running applications were closed, not just at the login screen. I searched the web and found many others with a similar problem. Most replies refer to the check box on the screensaver setup page that says "on resume, display logon screen." This is quite different though as even with that checked, the current user is not actually logged off and the running applications are not shutdown. I (and others with this problem) are actually being logged off. Incidentally, the box is not checked, and now the screensaver is diabled. Power management is set to never turn anything off, ever. I still have the problem. I then saw a post that said I needed to uncheck the "require password to logon" option in the user settings. Seemed odd since my computer worked as it should for the last 9 months with that option checked (by default), but I gave it a try. The system still logs me out. I then went back to the screensaver and re-enabled it with the "bubbles" but this time, I set the timeout to 9999 minutes, figuring that it would then take a week of idle time before it logged me out, if in fact that was the problem. Didn't work, still being logged out with applications running. I have searched all over the web, but can't find a solution. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks
    Hey buddy,
    That mostly happen if you are infected with virus or trojan which corrupts the registry key holding the value of the files which are executed while logging in to windows. The other possibility is, the registry key getting replaced with some incorrect value.

    So here is the solution:
    1. You need to connect the infected computer to a network. Make sure that there is one computer in the network which doesn’t suffer from this problem. Now, switch on both of the computers, i.e. the infected and the working computer.
    2. From the working computer, Go to Start> Run, type regedit.exe and hit enter. This will launch the registry editor.
    3. Go to File> Connect Network Registry, by using this infected computer’s name or IP address.
    4. Locate the following entry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\
    5. In this entry there is a key named userinit, double click on the key and set its value to “C:\WINDOWS\System32\userinit.exe,”
    If the problem still persists then you need to run a repair setup. Check out for detailed instructions on running a repair setup over here.

    Please let me know if this solve your problem and i will figure something else. Your welcome:)
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:51.
Find Us