Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Screen troubles

27 Nov 2010   #1
ipalmer642

Windows 7
 
 
Screen troubles

Hi,

A few days ago I installed a windows update as instructed and the system automatically restarted afterwards. Unfortunately I have no idea what the update was or anything as I wasn't really paying attention. But basically since then my screen has stopped working when I try to start windows. It works when i first turn on the laptop, and I can see the 'starting windows' logo, but when it's meant to cut to the welcome page where you click on your user etc it goes black. I can still hear it logging on when i press enter and the system is running fine by the sound of it - i just can't see anything. BUT when I start my system in safe mode the screen works fine. I have no idea if this has happened as a direct result of the update, or if this was mere coincidence. I have no idea what I am doing, I really do not know much about computers past a basic understanding! I have trawled through forums but cannot find this problem...any help would be HUGELY appreciated!

Thanks,

Isaac


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
27 Nov 2010   #2
Impulse Fire911

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

seems the update has went corrupt somewhere and maybe even screwed a bit with your gpu drivers, best thing to do is to reinstall windows or go in safe mode and do a system restore before the update was installed, see if it fixes
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Nov 2010   #3
marsmimar

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

Try to figure out which update is causing the problem. From the start menu type in Update then click on Windows Update in the section called Programs directly above. In the dialog box that opens click on View Update History in left column. That will open another dialog box that shows all updates and the date they were installed. If you know the date you installed the problem update make note of the KB number. Click on the link to view installed updates (top of dialog box) and from there you can uninstall it.

If you installed several updates on the same date, uninstall all of them. See if your problem has been corrected. If it has, run Windows Update but this time install only one update at a time. I'd reboot after each update to make sure your system is behaving. If it messes up again you'll know exactly which update is to blame.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Nov 2010   #4
Dzomlija

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Impulse Fire911 View Post
seems the update has went corrupt somewhere and maybe even screwed a bit with your gpu drivers, best thing to do is to reinstall windows or go in safe mode and do a system restore before the update was installed, see if it fixes
What the hell are you doing recommending a Windows Reinstall before all options have not been tried? Are you nuts???

But to the poster, try this:
  1. When you turn the computer on, repeatedly press F8
  2. When the Windows Boot menu comes up, select Safe Mode
  3. Click the Start Orb
  4. type "restore" (without quotes) in the search box
  5. Select "System Restore" from the search results
  6. Follow the prompts to restore you system to a point BEFORE you installed the update...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Nov 2010   #5
Imperfect1

 
 

Thanks Dzomlija, I was going to admonish the poster as well. Glad you said what you did!!! Good job!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Nov 2010   #6
ipalmer642

Windows 7
 
 

System restore did the trick, thanks a lot Dzomlija! And everyone else for the quick feedback.

Excellent

Isaac
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Nov 2010   #7
Impulse Fire911

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dzomlija View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Impulse Fire911 View Post
seems the update has went corrupt somewhere and maybe even screwed a bit with your gpu drivers, best thing to do is to reinstall windows or go in safe mode and do a system restore before the update was installed, see if it fixes
What the hell are you doing recommending a Windows Reinstall before all options have not been tried? Are you nuts???

But to the poster, try this:
  1. When you turn the computer on, repeatedly press F8
  2. When the Windows Boot menu comes up, select Safe Mode
  3. Click the Start Orb
  4. type "restore" (without quotes) in the search box
  5. Select "System Restore" from the search results
  6. Follow the prompts to restore you system to a point BEFORE you installed the update...
herp derp i said to do a system restore just as well
no need to be so mean ;____;
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Nov 2010   #8
Imperfect1

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Impulse Fire911 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dzomlija View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Impulse Fire911 View Post
seems the update has went corrupt somewhere and maybe even screwed a bit with your gpu drivers, best thing to do is to reinstall windows or go in safe mode and do a system restore before the update was installed, see if it fixes
What the hell are you doing recommending a Windows Reinstall before all options have not been tried? Are you nuts???





But to the poster, try this:
  1. When you turn the computer on, repeatedly press F8
  2. When the Windows Boot menu comes up, select Safe Mode
  3. Click the Start Orb
  4. type "restore" (without quotes) in the search box
  5. Select "System Restore" from the search results
  6. Follow the prompts to restore you system to a point BEFORE you installed the update...
herp derp i said to do a system restore just as well
no need to be so mean ;____;
ImpulseFire, When giving advice, always start with the least intrusive solution. Your first advice was for the OP to take a very radical step - to uninstall and reinstall his Windows. That is something that, unless one's Windows is only 5 minutes old, no wants to do!!! And your advice was, unfortunately wrong. The fact that in addition to that advice you also suggested doing a System Restore, doesn't help much.

When giving advice on these forums you have to really think about what you are suggesting. Remember that people are depending on us to give them sound solutions. Just to rattle off an answer that could really be troublesome to the OP just makes all of us less credible to that poster in the future. That is the exact opposite of what we want here.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Screen troubles




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
VPN troubles
Hi, i recently upgraded from XP to 7 ultimate on my PC, and after doing so I can't get my VPN (windows native software) to function. I can connect from my laptop (also windows 7 ult) to my PC and do get a VPN connection, but the PC does not appear to give me any IPv4 or IPv6 access (IPv4: not...
Network & Sharing
Ram Troubles
Alright, here's the rundown: I have 3GB installed and working. I add a 2GB Stick into the open slot, turn my computer back on, check properties of My Computer, and it says 5GB installed, 3GB Usable. Can anyone explain this? I am running Windows 7 Pro, 32-bit. Much thanks.
Hardware & Devices
RAM Troubles
I have here an Acer Aspire T180-UB7Z, and it has a stick of RAM that isn't listed on the RAM manufacturer's website as being compatible with the motherboard. I don't know if this is because they haven't tested this particular stick with this motherboard, or if it is incompatible. Basically, no...
Hardware & Devices
Log on troubles
I have an unusual situation. I have a normal logon screen with four users, call them A, B, C and D. Once the computer enters sleep mode, when I rewake it, instead of going to the general login screen, it automatically logs on user C regardless of the fact that all users were loged off before it...
General Discussion
Triple Screen troubles
Hi there, I recently added a fairly old PCI card to my 8800 PCIe Card running on windows 7 on a gigabyte GA 965P S3 and cannot get three screens working together... With the BIOS set to use PCI first, Windows boots on the PCI Card, The other two screens do not come on, Both cards are...
Graphic Cards
So W7 troubles...
ok I have the ISO downloaded...it let me "back-it-up" to 5 discs, tried restoring it, failed miserably... when done downloading, it opens "NTI CD DVD MAKER"...go to do data cd, it says the iso file is too large to copy to disk. Im trying to get file to burn to the disc but keep getting...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:45.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App