Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Best way to sync two disk drives?

14 Dec 2010   #11
allend66

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 OEM --> RTM clean install
 
 

I used to use SyncToy from M$ but changed to GoodSync ($19). There is a free version of GoodSync but it has limitations (300 files per sync). It also syncs your online storage account. (webDAV, ftp..)


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
14 Dec 2010   #12
FliGi7

XP / Win7 x64 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FliGi7 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MacGyvr View Post
This won't work in his situation. He only wants to back up the data partition from drive 1 to drive 2.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by turbostream View Post
How to setup a sync so it auto copies data from 1st disk to data in 2nd disk? I don't want to do this manual each time I save/edit one file on 1st disk data then copy/paste it onto 2nd disk.
I'm not sure why you say it won't work. It sounds like it's exactly what he needs. He wants saves/edits to be mirrored as well, not just a static backup.
Mirroring will only work for the entire drive not for a partition on a drive with multiple partitions. I use SyncToy from MS and it works great. I have moved files after renaming them and it picks up on the changes and updates the backup disk.

Jim
Then, how did this guy mirror two of three partitions on his drive?

Cannot mirror 3rd partition of Disk 0
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Dec 2010   #13
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FliGi7 View Post
Then, how did this guy mirror two of three partitions on his drive?
You can do it with individual partitions, but the entire drive must be converted to Dynamic, I believe. I'm still a believer in the age-old addage of never letting software do the job of hardware. To me, RAID should be done at the controller, and not through the OS....but that's just me. Too many software RAID failures to ever trust it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Dec 2010   #14
gregrocker

 

Win7 backup imaging and file backup both will do scheduled incremental backups. https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/663-backup-complete-computer-create-image-backup.html
https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/615-backup-user-system-files.html

MS has perfected their Sync program which is now called Live Mesh. It can synchronize across HD;s or computers, even save a copy online at SkyDrive so you can access your files from any computer or device. Live Mesh: Better Alternative to DropBox, 5GB Free Space | Free Software
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Dec 2010   #15
Phone Man

Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64bit, Windows 7 HP 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FliGi7 View Post
Then, how did this guy mirror two of three partitions on his drive?
You can do it with individual partitions, but the entire drive must be converted to Dynamic, I believe. I'm still a believer in the age-old addage of never letting software do the job of hardware. To me, RAID should be done at the controller, and not through the OS....but that's just me. Too many software RAID failures to ever trust it.
Well, I learn something everyday.

Jim
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Dec 2010   #16
turbostream

Win 7
 
 

So I got the disk a bit late and installed SyncToy. Seems to be working quite well. Thanks a lot for your help.

Was a bit curious about the transfer speed between two WD disks. Motherboard and disks support speeds up to 3Gb/s bit I only get around 70-80MB/s.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Dec 2010   #17
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FliGi7 View Post
Or you can use the already-built-in features of the Windows 7 OS and just mirror the partition. Both partitions are automatically synced when any change happens to either. No need for any extra software that you have to worry about scheduling.

Use Drive Mirroring for Instant Backup in Windows 7 - How-To Geek
This is a software Raid which mirrors 2 drives, not 2 partitions. And it does not work in Win7 Home editions.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Dec 2010   #18
FliGi7

XP / Win7 x64 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FliGi7 View Post
Or you can use the already-built-in features of the Windows 7 OS and just mirror the partition. Both partitions are automatically synced when any change happens to either. No need for any extra software that you have to worry about scheduling.

Use Drive Mirroring for Instant Backup in Windows 7 - How-To Geek
This is a software Raid which mirrors 2 drives, not 2 partitions. And it does not work in Win7 Home editions.
It was already stated above that it does, in fact, work with partitions and not just an entire drive.

However, it would be good for the OP to clarify what version he has in order to determine the feasibility of this option for him.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Dec 2010   #19
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FliGi7 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FliGi7 View Post
Or you can use the already-built-in features of the Windows 7 OS and just mirror the partition. Both partitions are automatically synced when any change happens to either. No need for any extra software that you have to worry about scheduling.

Use Drive Mirroring for Instant Backup in Windows 7 - How-To Geek
This is a software Raid which mirrors 2 drives, not 2 partitions. And it does not work in Win7 Home editions.
It was already stated above that it does, in fact, work with partitions and not just an entire drive.

However, it would be good for the OP to clarify what version he has in order to determine the feasibility of this option for him.
Yeah, provided all partitions on the drive are dynamic. And try to boot from a dynamic disk.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Dec 2010   #20
FliGi7

XP / Win7 x64 Pro
 
 

Why would you need luck? In another one of my above posts linking to another user's thread where he was trying to mirror a partition, you can see that his boot disk is dynamic and he's currently booted into Windows 7.

I would assume this is the same user in this thread below as well, where he successfully converted his boot drive to a dynamic disk:

Can you convert Windows 7 boot partition into a dynamic disk - windows-7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Best way to sync two disk drives?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
2 hard drives with different content - how to sync without losing info
I have thousands of photographs on 2 drives and always intended for the two drives to contain mirror copies but I'm a bit lax in applying myself so have ended up with "2011", "2012", "2013" and "2014" on both drives but there are photos on one drive that aren't on the other and vice versa. Short of...
General Discussion
Best file sync software for local disk to NAS?
I've used SyncToy for quite some time, but like many I find the 2.1 version to be very slow. It's gotten to where, with the larger and larger disks that are in my system, it really is a little annoying to use. I've looked around and there seem to be more than a few file sync programs. I was hoping...
Software
Who makes the best disk drives?
Read more at: Who makes the best disk drives? | ZDNet
Hardware & Devices
Sync Center and Network drives
I have been having a strange problem where Sync Center seems to be storing network drives as offline folders. Even though I am connected to the network all the time and the network drives never go offline they still become unavailable. The network drive appear in the sync partnerships but I...
Network & Sharing
Imaging a VM, What are my disk drives
Imaging a VM, What are my disk drives I'm doing a Windows 7 tutorial. In it I'm imaging a W7 Virtual Machine. I rebooted the VM and booted from my physical WinPE CD. The book SPTK 70-680 (Ian McLean) gives pretty good instructions but I have different drive letters than what’s in the book. ...
Virtualization
disk drives won't recognize CD's
I am trying to burn some data CD's for work. Some of it is simple software, no more than 25KB, others are text files. For some reason when I put a CD in the drive, the drive won't recognize its there. I am running an older machine ( HP Pavilion N422a ). I might add that I was having this...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App