Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Stolen Laptop vs Windows LogIn

16 Dec 2010   #11
FliGi7

XP / Win7 x64 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Solarstarshines View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
In the future, put a BIOS password on your laptop.
At the very least use the user password, but even better would be the supervisor password.

It is extremely hard to break a BIOS password as far as I know.

~Lordbob

That would requiire full system erase and probally still wouldn't be able to use it cause the bios is locked pretty damn genius if you ask me LordBob is showing up again
The bios (password) can easily be reset by removing the battery from the motherboard for 20-30 minutes.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
16 Dec 2010   #12
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FliGi7 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Solarstarshines View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
In the future, put a BIOS password on your laptop.
At the very least use the user password, but even better would be the supervisor password.

It is extremely hard to break a BIOS password as far as I know.

~Lordbob

That would requiire full system erase and probally still wouldn't be able to use it cause the bios is locked pretty damn genius if you ask me LordBob is showing up again
The bios (password) can easily be reset by removing the battery from the motherboard for 20-30 minutes.
Even the administrator password? Aww... Shame.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Dec 2010   #13
martin123

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

As i posted way back if you know what your looking for the software is out there that will bust open any bios passwords and windows.

In fact the software is a iso image so once its on disk and inserted in to the machine and its rebooted it will wipe ALL passwords.

So the real deal is there is no real type of security to keep any info safe if your machine is stolen.

Best way to keep all info safe is not to keep it on a machine keep it on a stick or sd card in your wallet
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Dec 2010   #14
FliGi7

XP / Win7 x64 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by martin123 View Post

So the real deal is there is no real type of security to keep any info safe if your machine is stolen.
Actually, there is. You can TrueCrypt or PGP encrypt your entire drive so that you can't just use one of those bootable cd's that can change the SAM file. With a strong password, there is no way someone is going to break that encryption, which would only be possible via brute force. They'll have to wipe the whole disk to do anything useful with the machine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Dec 2010   #15
richnrockville

Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1
 
 

Locking up the bios with a password for access is much better on a laptop

but on a desktop. all you have to do is to remove the battery or change a jumper and the bios is set back to the native state.
But on a laptop, you can remove the laptop battery but the motherboard battery is harder to find and remove
or reset the bios.

YMMV
Rich
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Dec 2010   #16
Solarstarshines

Windows 10 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richnrockville View Post
Locking up the bios with a password for access is much better on a laptop

but on a desktop. all you have to do is to remove the battery or change a jumper and the bios is set back to the native state.
But on a laptop, you can remove the laptop battery but the motherboard battery is harder to find and remove
or reset the bios.

YMMV
Rich

my thoughts exactly must be really desperate to open it up to do all that
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Stolen Laptop vs Windows LogIn




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Actually got my stolen laptop back!
A laptop was stolen from my home a few weeks ago and by the good graces of a computer repair person, I ended up getting the computer back. The police are overworked and recovering my second laptop that was also taken is not real high on their priority list. The recovered laptop is a Dell Inspiron...
General Discussion
Reset stolen bios on laptop
Hi everyone I had a quick question! Last month I bought a new toshiba laptop which i was using at university. I accidentally left it on campus last week :o in my laptop bag and someone picked it up and took it to a pawnshop. The police were able to find it and verify that it was my laptop...
Chillout Room
I got my laptop stolen! What should I do.
Forgot to lock the car. What should I do? I've been changing passwords but even if I change the passwords can't they still do things on my accounts because they are already logged in? My Lastpass is signed in on browsers. I did change my Lastpass password just now, can they still see all my...
General Discussion
stolen laptop. devastated
I use my laptop for everything especially for work. I put an unbelievable amount of work into tweaking and modifying the hardware like buying new ram and an SAD drive accessories etc. Someone crept into my apartment and stole it. The really sad thing is that the machine is not really worth very...
General Discussion
my laptop was stolen
okay so aboout a week ago my laptop was stolen when somone broke into my moms house, was there earlier and left it there. Now the laptop was a dell and it was runing boinc for prime grid. curently when I was on prime grid i saw that the last contact atempt was just today!!!!!!!!!!! and i have...
Chillout Room


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:31.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App