Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How to search for a .sol file

17 Dec 2010   #11
Monsoon

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
Where did you search? Searching from Start Menu search field searches only the indexed locations, whereas searching from Explorer searches all locations, also non-indexed.

In Explorer search you have to remember it searches from current location and down, i.e. searching from Explorer when in Computer, the whole computer is searched, but searching in for instance Users\Kari searches only my user folder and its subfolders.

I found all .sol files directly when searching from Explorer (Computer).

Kari
Using the "type" search worked in C drive. But one thing that irritates me is that .sol is exactly that. ".sol".
Period. It's not solitaire, and it's not the three letters sol found inside a word. It's .sol.
Microsoft is hurting their operating system with every change they make.
I can easily see switching over to Ubuntu or Mac next time around. Because finding fixes for stuff like this is absurd.
I mean whatever happened to the old adage of if it ain't broke don't fix it?

This website is clear evidence that it's not just me who thinks the same way.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
17 Dec 2010   #12
Dzomlija

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Monsoon View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
Where did you search? Searching from Start Menu search field searches only the indexed locations, whereas searching from Explorer searches all locations, also non-indexed.

In Explorer search you have to remember it searches from current location and down, i.e. searching from Explorer when in Computer, the whole computer is searched, but searching in for instance Users\Kari searches only my user folder and its subfolders.

I found all .sol files directly when searching from Explorer (Computer).

Kari
Using the "type" search worked in C drive. But one thing that irritates me is that .sol is exactly that. ".sol".
Period. It's not solitaire, and it's not the three letters sol found inside a word. It's .sol.
Microsoft is hurting their operating system with every change they make.
I can easily see switching over to Ubuntu or Mac next time around. Because finding fixes for stuff like this is absurd.
I mean whatever happened to the old adage of if it ain't broke don't fix it?

This website is clear evidence that it's not just me who thinks the same way.
You'll willing to dump Windows in favor of Ubuntu or Mac OSX because you could not find a file after not using the correct search terms?

Windows Search is not lame "search-for-filenames-only" facility provided by most other operating systems, including previous versions of Windows, so naturally there will be a learning curve involved, as is the case with anything that is new...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Dec 2010   #13
Kari

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Monsoon View Post
This website is clear evidence that it's not just me who thinks the same way.
This website is clear evidence that it's not just me who thinks Windows 7 is a stable, well functioning operating system.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Dec 2010   #14
Monsoon

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Monsoon View Post
This website is clear evidence that it's not just me who thinks the same way.
This website is clear evidence that it's not just me who thinks Windows 7 is a stable, well functioning operating system.
The both of you are ignoring the fact that this site exists for the sole purpose of helping people figure out how to do things that have changed in windows 7.

They eliminated the way windows remembered size and position, which is why you have a thread for a shell fix.

They made it so you have to know a specific query to use with your search term. I'm sure the public at large was tired of being able to just type the specific term they were seeking, and instead were wishing for it to become much more of a hassle.

Oh and while i'm at it, lets talk about the "my pictures" folder. Something that gets deleted during my install procedure. Why? Because I have all the documents backed up to a 2nd drive, and I don't want the fuss of dealing with the popup of "this folder already exists" when I drag my documents over.
But guess what? Once you delete that folder, you can't recreate it. It says it already exists! Lovely. So from now on it's called simply "pictures". Why? Because some genius at microsoft couldn't care less what fuss that causes for the consumer.

In any normal walk of life, such foolishness is a deal breaker. But with windows, it's oh well it's still pretty great.

I expect far better for my money than "still pretty great". This is the ultimate license, and it wasn't cheap!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Dec 2010   #15
mborner

Windows 7 Pro/32 Academic. Build 7600
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Monsoon View Post
But guess what? Once you delete that folder, you can't recreate it. It says it already exists!
Interesting observation. I was able to recreate my deleted C:\users\mike\My Pictures folder with ease. I didn't realize I had deleted it from a shared computer. I ran backup one day and got an error that backup couldn't find the "my pictures" folder and couldn't back it up. I simply recreated the folder in it's proper location with no issues whatsoever.

With a new operating system comes a new way of learning. The search feature in Windows 7 is nothing short of spectacular. It makes XP's search look pathetic in comparison. However, along with its brilliance comes a bit of a learning curve. Just like any other technology, the power is there if you learn how to use it. The search feature is so powerful that its nearly impossible to make it "easy". Microsoft has done a great job at making it as easy as possible, considering the power of this new feature.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Dec 2010   #16
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

I'm thinking there should be instant bans given to people who whine and complain about the search feature, only because they still don't know how to use the proper syntax...that has been around for decades. Am I being rude here....probably, but even my non-tech savvy users understand the * switch in a search. It's been that way in ever version of Windows and DOS I can remember.

Here's my actual helpful suggestion. The Windows Search feature works wonderfully. Take a moment to learn how to use it. An ATM isn't going to work very well if you don't know how to use it...but that doesn't mean the ATM is broken. In the time it would have taken to create this thread ranting about the search feature...you could have googled the proper syntax.

I've seen and heard it many times, but it always holds true: 'Tis easier to complain than to learn.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Dec 2010   #17
Monsoon

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
I'm thinking there should be instant bans given to people who whine and complain about the search feature, only because they still don't know how to use the proper syntax...that has been around for decades. Am I being rude here....probably, but even my non-tech savvy users understand the * switch in a search. It's been that way in ever version of Windows and DOS I can remember.

Here's my actual helpful suggestion. The Windows Search feature works wonderfully. Take a moment to learn how to use it. An ATM isn't going to work very well if you don't know how to use it...but that doesn't mean the ATM is broken. In the time it would have taken to create this thread ranting about the search feature...you could have googled the proper syntax.

I've seen and heard it many times, but it always holds true: 'Tis easier to complain than to learn.
Being rude? No.
But you are most certainly being intellectually dishonest.

Let's go take a live poll somewhere, anywhere, where we ask the consumer to search for a .sol file on a windows 7 machine.

If more than 10% of the people have any clue whatsoever about how to find those files, you win.

If less than that, I win.

I would bet all my future wages that it wouldn't even be close to 10%.

What does that tell you? Maybe you're the one who should be banned for being so pretentious.

This is not everyday stuff. This is vastly over the head of the average consumer.

Those of us who even know to log onto a site like this are the ones who wind up fixing everything for friends and family, and all because of the arrogance of programmers who see the world through the same glasses you do.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Dec 2010   #18
James Colbert

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
I'm thinking there should be instant bans given to people who whine and complain about the search feature, only because they still don't know how to use the proper syntax...that has been around for decades. Am I being rude here....probably, but even my non-tech savvy users understand the * switch in a search. It's been that way in ever version of Windows and DOS I can remember.

Here's my actual helpful suggestion. The Windows Search feature works wonderfully. Take a moment to learn how to use it. An ATM isn't going to work very well if you don't know how to use it...but that doesn't mean the ATM is broken. In the time it would have taken to create this thread ranting about the search feature...you could have googled the proper syntax.

I've seen and heard it many times, but it always holds true: 'Tis easier to complain than to learn.
After studying different documents and howtos on Win 7 Search, I will admit that I gave it much less credit than it deserves. Setting it up and learning the syntax does indeed go a long way in bolstering its usefulness. However, I still find that there are issues. For instance, WinKey + F, which is supposed to search across the entire index, finds nothing. GROD for as long as I wish to watch it. Whoopee. That aspect is unusable for me. I gain better results searching from Computer.

Also, I find that it doesn't always find all files under all conditions, and, if I just create a file, it will not find it for several hours. Perhaps the index needs to catch up. No excuse, IMO. Conceivably, you could chalk all of this up to my ignorance (of which I confess no shortage), but if you believe that Search is without flaw, you haven't thought it through.

I will soon start a thread asking about any possiblity to exclude drives from search. It's nice that one can exclude them from the index, but why no ability to eclude partitions and folders from the search process (AFAICT)?

Summed up, I am liking and enjoying the benefits of search to a much greater degree since my decision to commit myself to learning the ins and outs, but certainly, it's not perfect. It has its deficiencies.

Perhaps its biggest flaw is its failure to provide a 'middle ground' for those less technical than others. This is a big problem, as your frustrated responses reveal. That being the case, perhaps you should examine why you are so frustrated by this. Is it because those who don't understand how to functionally use search are idiots, as your berating responses in these cases seem to imply? I think it more likely that MS has failed to meet the needs of the largest share of its market by not providing a simple method of search (in addition to the advanced search) that works reasonably well for the uninitiated.

Again, I have a much greater respect for Search now. But surely you don't expect that the masses will comprehend the intricacies of search when often, just operating their computer is a challenge?

I suppose a good analogy would be to ponder a skill which is beyond your ability to understand, much less perform. Does this make you an idiot? Of course not. No more than those who fail to understand Win7 Search. Therefore, your suggestion to instantly ban those who have trouble with search is denied.

James
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Dec 2010   #19
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Monsoon View Post
Being rude? No.
But you are most certainly being intellectually dishonest.

Let's go take a live poll somewhere, anywhere, where we ask the consumer to search for a .sol file on a windows 7 machine.

If more than 10% of the people have any clue whatsoever about how to find those files, you win.

If less than that, I win.

I would bet all my future wages that it wouldn't even be close to 10%.

What does that tell you? Maybe you're the one who should be banned for being so pretentious.

This is not everyday stuff. This is vastly over the head of the average consumer.

Those of us who even know to log onto a site like this are the ones who wind up fixing everything for friends and family, and all because of the arrogance of programmers who see the world through the same glasses you do.
I could spend the time tearing apart so many of your comments, but what good would that do? You've already made up your mind to blame the programmers for your lack of understanding. As I said...this is a basic part of Windows...has been since the days BEFORE Windows. Nothing's new here, except the fact that the Search feature is now brought right in front of your face, simplifying the entire process.

Pretentious? No....realistic? Yes. My user base is the least tech savvy around, consisting mostly of women over the age of 50. No, that's not a sexist comment...it is realistic. They despise technology, and fight me every step of the way through any upgrade. Yet they mostly understood this.....or had the capacity to do a quick ten second Google search for the answer.

I've been doing some level of support for 15 years now, and I'd take the bet about 10% understanding or having the ability to quickly figure it out themselves.

If you think I'm being rude and pretentious, so be it...but let me explain. Take a wild guess how many threads we've had recently with the OP firing right off the bat at Microsoft for how bad their search feature is...only to later realize they just didn't know something basic. Do you realize some of those people didn't even know they now have a search box in EACH and EVERY Explorer Window??? It gets old real quick. It's snowing...blame Microsoft. I lost my job....blame Microsoft. McNabb was just benched by the Redskins...blame Microsoft. A teenage girl is pregnant.....blame Microsoft. Gets old quick.

Let's drop the attitude...admit you didn't know something but now you do....and move on from it. Learn from it...and learn that not everything is Microsoft's fault.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Dec 2010   #20
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by James Colbert View Post
Again, I have a much greater respect for Search now. But surely you don't expect that the masses will comprehend the intricacies of search when often, just operating their computer is a challenge?
I agree completely with everything you said, with the exception of one point.

We are talking about the readers of this forum...a Windows 7 Enthusiasts Forum. We aren't talk about a group of people standing in line at Best Buy purchasing a computer for their kids of grandkids. The level of knowledge and understanding the readers of this forum have are FAR above the general populous.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How to search for a .sol file




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Copy file address after doing a file search in windows explorer
Hi All I have a rather large file system with lots of folders & subfolders. When I want to save previously on Xp operating system I'd search in explorer open the folder I want then copy the address (e.g c:\customer records\client name\job address). In windows 7, when I copy the folder address i...
General Discussion
Help file search
Is there any way to get the help file to just give options for a specific issue? Whenever I search it the options list provides off subject issues. If I query for touchpad I don't get just touchpad issues.
General Discussion
No search in .doc file
hi, some one could tel me why seven seams to not search nothing into the .doc file ? thank's
General Discussion
search and replace in file name
I'm trying to shorten up some too-long file path names. I have some recurring strings that I could just delete, but for the life of me I can't find any search & Replace function for file names. Is there a way?
General Discussion
Search not seeing a file
I've got a file sitting in a folder within my Documents that Windows search is unable to see. I've searched for the title of the doc, I've searched for a phrase within the doc, it cannot see it. I've navigated to the specific folder that it is located in, so that the file is visible on the...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:48.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App