Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Serious problem: A disk read error occurred

15 Jan 2011   #31
gregrocker

 

Your Acer is under full Tech Support and parts replacement Warranty if it is only 4 months old.



Call Acer Tech support and tell them what's happening. It should help if you run the maker's HD diagnostics/repair CD scan to have results ready to tell them: HD Diagnostic

However you want them to tell you how to proceed, and you do not want to tell them you have removed the HD as it could void your warranty - so I would put it back in for the call.

The proper procedure here is to run HD Diagnostics followed by Disk Check, but since you are still under Warranty you want them supervising it so they can justify an immediate RMA of the HD if necessary.

That's all.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
03 Feb 2011   #32
Jay10

Windows 7
 
 

Hey guys. I apologise for the late reply.

What has happened since the last time I replied to this thread, is that I removed the harddrive from my laptop and connected it to the adapter. I connected the adapter to my stationary computer, but it didn't work. I suspect it's because of the mediocre quality of the adapter. I bought this one (http://content.gucca.dk/spil-covers/...berg_60019.jpg) and it was a total waste of money.
My computer could barely register the hard drive. Only after moving the cables a bit, my computer could register that there was a device connected in the USB-port, but it still wasn't enough. So I had to try something else.

I then called Acer, who told me about their E-recovery method, which basically consists of pressing alt+F10 as soon as the Acer-logo appears on the screen. I then reached a screen, where I was given two choices; either delete everything or try to restore all the files. I naturally chose the latter, and it restored about 10% of the files before the laptop basically gave up, and an error message appeared on the screen telling me to delete the entire harddrive. I didn't do that of course.

So now I guess my choices are either to buy a new adapter, or try that boot cd-thing with Ubuntu/Linux.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Feb 2011   #33
Jay10

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Your Acer is under full Tech Support and parts replacement Warranty if it is only 4 months old.



Call Acer Tech support and tell them what's happening. It should help if you run the maker's HD diagnostics/repair CD scan to have results ready to tell them: HD Diagnostic

However you want them to tell you how to proceed, and you do not want to tell them you have removed the HD as it could void your warranty - so I would put it back in for the call.

The proper procedure here is to run HD Diagnostics followed by Disk Check, but since you are still under Warranty you want them supervising it so they can justify an immediate RMA of the HD if necessary.

That's all.
How do I run the HD diagnostics?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Feb 2011   #34
gregrocker

 

I'm sorry you didn't keep up with the thread because your HD might have been reparable before and is not now. But you can try anyway running the maker's HD diagnostics/repair CD scan as was suggested two weeks ago.

Determine the maker of your HD and download the CD scan ISO from list in my post from two weeks ago here: HD Diagnostic

Burn to CD using ImgBurn or Windows Image Burner, then boot the CD to run extended scan.

If it is reparable, next run Disk Check from Win7 Repair CD or DVD Repair console Command Line: boot DVD/CD, press Shift + F10 at first screen or enter Repair console to access Command line.

You can also try to copy out your files using the CD/DVD Repair console: Copy & Paste - in Windows Recovery Console
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Feb 2011   #35
Jay10

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
I'm sorry you didn't keep up with the thread because your HD might have been reparable before and is not now. But you can try anyway running the maker's HD diagnostics/repair CD scan as was suggested two weeks ago.
What makes you say that my HD is not reparable now?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Determine the maker of your HD and download the CD scan ISO from list in my post from two weeks ago here: HD Diagnostic
It's a Toshiba HD, but that is not on your list. It says I should try the Hitachi Drive Fitness Test. I don't know how safe or suitable it is though...

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Burn to CD using ImgBurn or Windows Image Burner, then boot the CD to run extended scan.

If it is reparable, next run Disk Check from Win7 Repair CD or DVD Repair console Command Line: boot DVD/CD, press Shift + F10 at first screen or enter Repair console to access Command line.

You can also try to copy out your files using the CD/DVD Repair console: Copy & Paste - in Windows Recovery Console
Thanks. I never got the Windows Repair cd, in fact I didn't get any cd's with my laptop. I'm still a bit unsure on what to try, but thanks for giving me suggestions.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Feb 2011   #36
gregrocker

 

I'm not saying for sure your HD is irreparable now, only that it might be whereas it could have possible been repaired if the maker's diagnostics/repair CD scan are run soon after problems arise.

The Hitachi Drive Fitness test is the most stable of all of the HD tests. I wouldn't hesitate to use it as it will tell you if it cannot repair your HD.

Here is the download for repair CD: System Repair Disc - Create

Acer Tech Support should help you determine the problem as they will replace the HD if it fails. You have full replacement warranty as well as tech support for the first year after purchase. I would use it well within that time (don't delay) so you can sort the replacements for further problems before a year expires.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Feb 2011   #37
Jay10

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
I'm not saying for sure your HD is irreparable now, only that it might be whereas it could have possible been repaired if the maker's diagnostics/repair CD scan are run soon after problems arise.

The Hitachi Drive Fitness test is the most stable of all of the HD tests. I wouldn't hesitate to use it as it will tell you if it cannot repair your HD.

Here is the download for repair CD: System Repair Disc - Create

Acer Tech Support should help you determine the problem as they will replace the HD if it fails. You have full replacement warranty as well as tech support for the first year after purchase. I would use it well within that time (don't delay) so you can sort the replacements for further problems before a year expires.
Thanks. But I just remembered a thing; I can't open the cd drive in my laptop manually. There is no button to press. When it was working I had to go through the start menu to open it, so I guess I can't run a HD diagnostic test?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Feb 2011   #38
gregrocker

 

There is normally a tiny hole in which you can insert a straightened paper clip to manually open the drive enough to pull it all the way open.

While looking carefully for this tiny hole, see if there might not be a recessed button or touch-switch button to open it.

If not, move the HD to another machine to test with maker's HD diagnostics, temporarily unplugging it's native HD.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Feb 2011   #39
Jay10

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
There is normally a tiny hole in which you can insert a straightened paper clip to manually open the drive enough to pull it all the way open.

While looking carefully for this tiny hole, see if there might not be a recessed button or touch-switch button to open it.
Is it this little black hole you're referring to?



Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
If not, move the HD to another machine to test with maker's HD diagnostics, temporarily unplugging it's native HD.
Meaning I have to take my HD out and put it into another computer?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Feb 2011   #40
Jay10

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by James Colbert View Post
As far as your data, I don't know how computer literate you are, but you could try booting into a live linux CD (doesn't have to be installed to your HD) such as ubuntu, and, if the drive is recognized, you may be able to copy the files to your external drive. The process is not too complicated, and the Ubuntu CD will boot you to a desktop that you should be able to figure out. Here is a link:

Download | Ubuntu

Just be sure not to choose 'Install'.

A 'Live' CD is simply a bootable CD that will boot up to the Ubuntu (Linux) operating system rather than using the system drive to boot into windows. Often, Linux will see a drive when windows won't.

First, you should check in the bios again to see of the HD shows up. If it's not being detected in the bios, then the Linux route is pointless, as is likely all else. If it does appear in the bios, you may be able to recover it in the Linux environment.

Rather than guide you through the entire process now, your best bet would be to visit the link posted above (ubuntu). There are step by step instructions as to how to download it, burn it to CD and boot up to it. Then you can post back here.

Be advised that niether of these methods guarantee that you will be able to recover.

Use Ubuntu CD to attempt to recover files to external drive:

1) Follow instructions at Download | Ubuntu to download, burn CD and boot up to Ubuntu.

Once booted to Ubuntu, there will be a 'bar' at the top of the screen. You will check to see if your drive shows up in the 'Places" item.

Of course, we are getting ahead of ourselves here, and this response is already much too long.

If you have someone local who can help you through this process, it would be a good idea to call them. If not, we are more than happy to guide you through whichever process you think you would feel most comfortable with.

James
I'm currently sitting at a stationary computer with Windows XP. My laptop has Windows 7 64-bit, and I can see that Ubuntu has two versions: 32-bit and 64-bit. Which one do I download?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Serious problem: A disk read error occurred




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
a disk read error occurred no access to SSD- sometimes.
My system: 1-SSD (250 gb OS drive- nothing but programs and the OS) 4- HDD's (all 1tb WD velociraptors- 1 used as an image and back up- 1 for scratch disk and preview files- 2 for all video files) Windows 7 pro 12gb ram (tho I installed 24gb of new ram yesterday thinking the RAM might be bad-...
BSOD Help and Support
Disk read error occurred.
So, about 2 weeks or so ago my PC was working perfect, no issues whatsoever. Then about 2 - 3 days after I went on my PC and things just froze up, I couldn't shut down properly because it was just stuck froze. So I shut down using the button, but when I turned it back on I got "Disk Read Error...
Hardware & Devices
A disk read error has occurred, - after deleting partition
Hi, I'm new to the forums and have decided to post so I can hopefully resolve the mess I have got my girlfriends laptop into.... 1. The laptop already had windows 7 on it but I wanted a clean install so I created a W7 disk from an ISO on a usb stick. 2. It wouldn't however install onto the...
Installation & Setup
A disk read error has occurred but disk can be read
TLDR: I get the "A disk read error occurred" error but the system disk is readable and checks OK in the recovery USB. So, I have two hard drives--a terabyte drive with some data on it and a smaller drive with the win7 installation on it--and a USB drive. I made the USB drive into a recovery...
Installation & Setup
A disk read error occurred. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del...
Less than one month after I made a fresh installation of Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, I got this "looping" situation: 1. The boot process starts and goes normally until... 2. There comes this black screen that reads: A disk read error occurred. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart. Then it goes...
BSOD Help and Support
A disk read error occurred
Please help me. I tried to make a small 7gb partition on a separate drive and it worked fine. I had already had this drive which is a 1tb drive partitioned as follows: 500bg and 500gb. So I booted using my xp disk and it part. and when it restarted I got the following: "a disk read error occurred....
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:43.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App