Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Libraries folder

21 Jan 2011   #21
MacGyvr

Windows 7 Ultimate RTM (Technet)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mborner View Post
If you deleted folders from "libraries" all you really did was delete the shortcut that point to the real files which are located in C:/users/username/mydocuments, my music, my pictures, etc.
Wrong. Deleting from a Library deletes the real file. Try it if you don't believe it. If you are talking about "removing a location" from the library, that is entirely different and is not considered "deleting". It simply means that that location is no longer part of the Library. This is not what the OP did. He DELETED files.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
21 Jan 2011   #22
James Colbert

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MacGyvr View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by boohbah View Post
some folders are too large for the recycle bin and would be deleted off the computer bypassing the recycle bin , usually there is a message window about that, however by deleting from the library and not the root folder this may not be the case
Deleting from Libraries DOES delete from the true location of the file and behaves exactly the same.
Deleting files from Libraries (unless too large or over-ridden with shift+del), sends them to the Recycle Bin (i.e., as you state, does behave the same).

Folders, however, are not deleted, but are simply removed from Libraries. In fact, there is no 'Delete' option for folders in Libraries in the right click context menu, and pressing Delete merely removes them from the Library.

James
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jan 2011   #23
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MacGyvr View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mborner View Post
If you deleted folders from "libraries" all you really did was delete the shortcut that point to the real files which are located in C:/users/username/mydocuments, my music, my pictures, etc.
Wrong. Deleting from a Library deletes the real file. Try it if you don't believe it. If you are talking about "removing a location" from the library, that is entirely different and is not considered "deleting". It simply means that that location is no longer part of the Library. This is not what the OP did. He DELETED files.
Are you sure it deletes ALL the folders of the library or only the "default folder" as described in my post#14 of this thread?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Jan 2011   #24
MacGyvr

Windows 7 Ultimate RTM (Technet)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by James Colbert View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MacGyvr View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by boohbah View Post
some folders are too large for the recycle bin and would be deleted off the computer bypassing the recycle bin , usually there is a message window about that, however by deleting from the library and not the root folder this may not be the case
Deleting from Libraries DOES delete from the true location of the file and behaves exactly the same.
Deleting files from Libraries (unless too large or over-ridden with shift+del), sends them to the Recycle Bin (i.e., as you state, does behave the same).

Folders, however, are not deleted, but are simply removed from Libraries. In fact, there is no 'Delete' option for folders in Libraries in the right click context menu, and pressing Delete merely removes them from the Library.

James
Wrong. I just tested the explicit example given below.

1) I have a folder on my D: drive called Video (d:\video)

2) This folder is an included location in my Video Library.

3) Under the video folder, I have subfolders (d:\video\buffy, d:\video\stargate, etc.)

4) If I go into the Video Library and delete "buffy" or "stargate", they ARE deleted from my D: drive, not just removed from the Library.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2011   #25
MacGyvr

Windows 7 Ultimate RTM (Technet)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MacGyvr View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mborner View Post
If you deleted folders from "libraries" all you really did was delete the shortcut that point to the real files which are located in C:/users/username/mydocuments, my music, my pictures, etc.
Wrong. Deleting from a Library deletes the real file. Try it if you don't believe it. If you are talking about "removing a location" from the library, that is entirely different and is not considered "deleting". It simply means that that location is no longer part of the Library. This is not what the OP did. He DELETED files.
Are you sure it deletes ALL the folders of the library or only the "default folder" as described in my post#14 of this thread?
I'm not sure what you're asking. I've never spoken about actually deleting the entire library.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2011   #26
boohbah

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7600
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MacGyvr View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by boohbah View Post
some folders are too large for the recycle bin and would be deleted off the computer bypassing the recycle bin , usually there is a message window about that, however by deleting from the library and not the root folder this may not be the case
Deleting from Libraries DOES delete from the true location of the file and behaves exactly the same.
Im aware of this as i posted ,however , im not sure if deleting from the library and bypassing the recycle bin if the folder is too large produces a message window informing one so.by behaves the same are you saying that it does produce a message about bypassing the bin.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2011   #27
alex69

windows 7 ultimate 64bit
 
 

I absolutely agree with MacGyvr.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2011   #28
MacGyvr

Windows 7 Ultimate RTM (Technet)
 
 

Okay...I tried normal files and files that are too large. The behaviour with regard to the recycle bin is the same as a "normal" deletion. You either get the message that it can't go, or it goes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2011   #29
wds7

WDS 7 Home Pre.x64
 
 

Boy.....People should learn the meaning of "delete" ...
.before you let your finger or fingers ..make the move ..LOL
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2011   #30
boohbah

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7600
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MacGyvr View Post
Okay...I tried normal files and files that are too large. The behaviour with regard to the recycle bin is the same as a "normal" deletion. You either get the message that it can't go, or it goes.
Thanks for confirming this Macguyver ,i wasnt prepared to delete any large folders to find out. that said shame the op did not notice when this Must have happened or they would be in the recycle bin. that said the op may want to check what size he has the recycle bin set to and possibly avoid this in the future. although methinks its some thing that wont be happening again in a hurry, i speak from experience ,in the begining of my win 7 use i managed to delete around 40 GB of ebooks and magazines ,although i did manage to recover them intact using aesus recovery.i havent repeated that mistake. which is how i used to learn until i found sevenforums.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Libraries folder




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Adding a Folder to one of my Libraries
I keep getting a Location is not available, with a program that once was on my c drive, I made a new folder in my library but can't add any folders to that
General Discussion
Why does my Browse For Folder's Libraries appear rearranged???
Hi! As you can see from the screenshot in the link below, I'm wondering why my Libraries in the "Browse For Folders" window appear to be rearranged.:rolleyes: As I remembered before, I think Documents should be first rather than Music. I just wanna know what caused this and how do I change it...
General Discussion
How do I fix this mess -- libraries folder, user folder, administra...
...tor folder, and public folder? I only need one! I want the Administrator folder as my main folder. The libraries folder has nothing from my Administrator folder, the Public folder is redundant and useless, and my user folder is empty. I want my Administrator folder to be my...
General Discussion
Renaming folder ONLY in Libraries view
Hey all, So I finally got around to recognizing the use of the Libraries feature in Windows 7, and can't believe I didn't realize it earlier. Anyways, my question is, I have 2 folders in a Library with the same name (but point to different locations), basically they contain the same files but...
General Discussion
Libraries folder on startup
Hello: I have lurked here for the last 6 months and now am running into the issue of the library window popping up on startup. I have searched and looked through the tutorials and I don't see this as an identified issue. Does anyone else have this happening to them? It is not a big deal, but it...
General Discussion
How do I get rid of a Libraries folder on my desktop
I don't know what I did or how, but there is now a Libraries folder on my desktop that I would like to get rid of. It can't be dragged to the Recycle Bin nor can it be deleted by any method I've found. If I open Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Users\Default\Desktop...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:15.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App