Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: I am the only person on my computer and I am the administrator but

26 Jan 2011   #21
eaglepi

Windows 7 ultimate SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by KremmenUK View Post
Depending on where the file is, that message is quite normal AFAIK.

One thing I have noticed from experience in this area. As per the original post a popup occurs asking for permission. Once granted it removes the file.

If you turn off UAC completely then you are not going to get that confirmation popup - and - you may not be able to delete the file/folder at all.

There is some feature in Win7 that without 'confirmation' it just won't do it.

Thanks... I just need to know how to take over pernissions because I have other programs that won't work because of the permission thing. So the most important thing right now for me is to find out how to fix it so I can take back the permissions for everyone.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
26 Jan 2011   #22
mitchell65

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Hi eaglepi
What programs do you mean when you say
Quote:
" because I have other programs that won't work because of the permission thing".
There must be some other underlying reason. Be careful that by "Treating the symptom, you neglect the cause".
Take notice of KremmenUK in his post above when he says
Quote:
If you turn off UAC completely then you are not going to get that confirmation popup - and - you may not be able to delete the file/folder at all.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jan 2011   #23
eaglepi

Windows 7 ultimate SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mitchell65 View Post
Hi eaglepi
What programs do you mean when you say
Quote:
" because I have other programs that won't work because of the permission thing".
There must be some other underlying reason. Be careful that by "Treating the symptom, you neglect the cause".
Take notice of KremmenUK in his post above when he says
Quote:
If you turn off UAC completely then you are not going to get that confirmation popup - and - you may not be able to delete the file/folder at all.
I have been using GoodSync to sync my computers and it works great with XP but after I upgraded to 7 it has permission problems because it needs to delete,rename files and folders and when I run it I get
"Save State File
- ERROR: moving temp to perm: Access is denied. (error 5), cannot delete destination: Cannot delete file: Access is denied. (error 5). Also failed SetAttr: Access is denied. (error 5)"


GoodSync support says it's Win 7 that is giving the errors and GoodSync is just passing it on. I called Microsoft support and they explained that Windows 7 has built in security protection but I didn't get too far with them because they wanted to take over my computer and because it had to do with my folders and files I didn't want to let them. As you can see from my name I am a PI and I have sensitive data on my computer and don't want anyone seeing it. It's a orivacy issue.

So they told me I would ahve to take over permissions and gave me a link to a site that didn't make any sense to me.

So long story , short. I need to learn how to take back full permissions. or as someone earlier said fix it.......lol
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Jan 2011   #24
mitchell65

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote:
So they told me I would ahve to take over permissions and gave me a link to a site that didn't make any sense to me.
Post the link here and we will see if we can make sense of it!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jan 2011   #25
eaglepi

Windows 7 ultimate SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mitchell65 View Post
Quote:
So they told me I would ahve to take over permissions and gave me a link to a site that didn't make any sense to me.
Post the link here and we will see if we can make sense of it!

Sorry I don't have it any more. Is there a way to take over permissions?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jan 2011   #26
alphanumeric

Windows 10 Education 64 bit
 
 

Right click the shortcut for that program and go to the compatibility tab. Down near the bottom you should see "Run this program as an administrator". Try checking that box and see if it helps. If that doesn't work you might have to do the same thing to the executable that runs the program, the file that the shortcut links too.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jan 2011   #27
KremmenUK

MSDN Home Premium
 
 

That SetAttr is a pseudo DOS command that is usually used to change a files permissions and/or attributes.

For example SetAttr [filename] -h will remove the 'hidden' flag from that file.

I'm not surprised that Win7 is blocking that action. The only way this may work is if you open a Command Prompt "Run as Administrator" and type it in manually.

The best you can do under normal circumstances is right click the file and use the 'take ownership' option (and that doesn't always work).

Trying to grant permission to a third party program doing this sort of task is going to be tricky.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jan 2011   #28
eaglepi

Windows 7 ultimate SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by KremmenUK View Post
That SetAttr is a pseudo DOS command that is usually used to change a files permissions and/or attributes.

For example SetAttr [filename] -h will remove the 'hidden' flag from that file.

I'm not surprised that Win7 is blocking that action. The only way this may work is if you open a Command Prompt "Run as Administrator" and type it in manually.

The best you can do under normal circumstances is right click the file and use the 'take ownership' option (and that doesn't always work).

Trying to grant permission to a third party program doing this sort of task is going to be tricky.

Tricky is a understatement..........lol
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jan 2011   #29
eaglepi

Windows 7 ultimate SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GregP View Post
I found out in a very roundabout way a few months ago that a sole user on a Windows 7 machine is by default NOT logged in as administrator. In fact, the admin account is by default DISABLED, and you therefore need to enable it before you can log in as admin. See here for how to activate it:

Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable

Is this true and if so if I enable it so I truely an the admisitrator all the time would I still have the same issue with GoodSync???
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jan 2011   #30
Karma

Windows XP 32bit / Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by eaglepi View Post

How did you fix your permissions problem ?? can you give details?
Here I am.
I have Windows 7 in Italian, so I can try to translate but it will not be the same words.

Try this:
open the folder "C:\Program Files\MyApplication" or whatever.
Right click in the empty space > properties > security > advanced > change authorizations >
now disable "include ereditable authorizations..." and enable "substitute..."
then remove all and add e new one to
"Everyone" (write this, without quotes)
and give him full control.

I'm just trying to remember, something may be slightly different.
Let me know if it works or if you need more infos.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 I am the only person on my computer and I am the administrator but




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
computer literate person watching a newbie at work on the computer
Hope you all like this made me laugh !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roflmao: fa9DLxDtPtc
Chillout Room
How do i tell the computer i AM the administrator!
Theres only one account on my computer, its my computer after all! Im trying to edit something in the system 32 folder and i understand that messing around in there can be dangerous and so they want to keep us silly duffers who have no idea what theyre doing out of there! But i just need to do one...
General Discussion
How do I know if my computer turned itself on or if a person did?
Hello everyone, I have a desktop PC and running Win 7, I recently noticed that there is no hibernate button, where it should be, I realized that desktop PC's are not laptops and that I had to make a shortcut with the code " C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll, SetSuspendState 0,1,0 " to...
General Discussion
Windows 7 *only* person on box - administrator acct won't allow change
Unhiding the administrator account was easy enough so when I rebooted and tried to get my main account to be other than "standard user" the changes button is grayed out. It SAYS that the account is administrator (my main, not the one I just unhid) but it's not and my nettalk is proof - it...
General Discussion
Problems/questions about RDP - and I am not a computer person.
Hi, I have an RDP issue. Back story: I never liked computers, and I don't know anything about computers or networking. I decided to buy a Lenovo Thinkpad Android Honeycomb 3.1 tablet for grad school. I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit at home. I figured it would be nice to access my stuff...
Network & Sharing
Computer says I'm not administrator
Hi not sure where to post this problem so i guessed here? When i start up my PC (which is running win7 64bit) a box comes up and says im not an administrator even tho there is no other accounts on my system? Is it a Virus?? Can anybody shed any light on this situation or tell how I can fix this...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App