Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Is there a reason people assume Windows 7 is hardware-heavy?

24 Jan 2011   #11
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

I generally operate out of a standard user account. A click away to elevate and a little more to enable hidden admin if needed.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
24 Jan 2011   #12
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by computerboy2063 View Post
outside of having to run an antivirus/antimalware program and having to install a huge amount of microsoft updates and updating the antivirus software windows 7 is a really good os, all microsoft has to do is eliminate the need for av software like mac and serioulsy cut down the number of updates and it may just be perfect. never ran an av on my mac and never had issues...
Of course you do not need an AV program for a Mac - who wants to write a virus for the few that are far and apart.

Regarding the /7 resource usage. It is better than Vista but could still be better - compare with Android. The problem is packaging. All those functions that are usefull for large companies are dragged along in our systems which really have modest requirements - especially for those "Appliance users" that only use it for sending Emails to their grandchildren.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jan 2011   #13
James Colbert

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by James Colbert View Post
The need for AV has nothing to do with paltform and everything to do with mainstream use. Quite simply, the vast majority of computer users run Windows. Why bother writing viruses for Mac, etc. when Windows gives you worldwide coverage?

James
I don't completely agree. While desktop market does have an impact, the fact that almost all Windows users used to run with full admin controls makes it a cakewalk. And no offense, but Windows is just too easy sometimes. Users don't typically just wing it and get a Linux machine working. They have to do some reading and homework up front and in the end, they are often a bit wiser and more aware of the things that are going on with their machines. Unfortunately, almost anybody who has used a Windows desktop can click around in the server GUI and get it working....but that doesn't mean they should
What you say is true, but the reality is that any OS that had the usage that Windows has would be a target. If it was Linux, they would just work harder, and, as with any technology, the defenses that are written today are overcome by those who circumvent them tomorrow. Unless there is a specific target, those who write and distribute viruses do it because there is a payoff: Circulation. If Mac or Linux gain that magnitude of circulation, we would see viruses proliferated on that platform. Almost a law of nature.

James
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Jan 2011   #14
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by James Colbert View Post
What you say is true, but the reality is that any OS that had the usage that Windows has would be a target. If it was Linux, they would just work harder, and, as with any technology, the defenses that are written today are overcome by those who circumvent them tomorrow. Unless there is a specific target, those who write and distribute viruses do it because there is a payoff: Circulation. If Mac or Linux gain that magnitude of circulation, we would see viruses proliferated on that platform. Almost a law of nature.

James
The advantage that Linux and such has is that's its based on Unix and has been a multi-user operating system for"ever"...so it's a pretty solid foundation with years upon years upon years of running as a standard user and keeping the rest of the system locked down. Unlike Windows which started as a single user system where the single user was an admin 24x7...Unix/Linux/BSD started with the concept of a restricted user account which has to elevate.

If Linux were to gain a lot of marketshare, I'm sure there would be more users who would attempt to make things easier and would run as admins all of the time and cause the system to suffer under their lacksidaisical approach.

But the good news here...is that Windows 7...is a much more secure OS and it seems to require fewer resources than most would expect. Gotta like that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jan 2011   #15
pantsaregood

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Both computers I mentioned are running MSE and Windows Firewall in the background. Neither of them functions poorly; the P4 is actually quite snappy.

As for more information on the computer, it's some old Dell. Has a 180w PSU (it's a slim case), and putting any newer PCI cards in it results in a black screen after POST.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jan 2011   #16
computerboy2063

windows 7 home premium 64bit
 
 

i agree that windows 7 is a much better os than any of the previous version of windows otherwise i would have traded the new compaq for a used mac already.... but windows still has alot of advancement to do to make it as good as os x windows 7 is almost there, but the need for av protection and constant updates from ms is the real issue now, not constant crashing like before
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jan 2011   #17
Maguscreed

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 x64
 
 

I generally suggest dual core and ddr2 or better for people wanting to install win 7, but it will work fine on older systems. ...you may not have quite the amount of snap though.

People have unrealistic expectations from windows though, they tighten up security or interface much more and customization gets much more difficult. You also start to run into more problems making games compatible. Which are both issues mac suffers from.

I say it all the time, everything is a trade off and no OS is perfect. Though fanboys would love for everyone to think otherwise.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2011   #18
computertech19

Windows 10,Windows 7,Mac OSX
 
 

So far it's ran great for me. It seams to suck more RAM everytime I upgrade my RAM for productivity software. I had 4GB of ram earlier and it took 1200MB of it to run just the OS. Now I have 6GB and it's takes 1500-1700MB's to run just the OS. Don't get it. and my OS is way watered down. With nothing eating the RAM except Windows OS software.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2011   #19
Maguscreed

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by computertech19 View Post
So far it's ran great for me. It seams to suck more RAM everytime I upgrade my RAM for productivity software. I had 4GB of ram earlier and it took 1200MB of it to run just the OS. Now I have 6GB and it's takes 1500-1700MB's to run just the OS. Don't get it. and my OS is way watered down. With nothing eating the RAM except Windows OS software.
That's just win 7 making better use of what's available instead of dumping everything directly to page file like previous versions did.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2011   #20
WolfSoul

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Retail
 
 

I doubt they even make PCI videocards anymore...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Is there a reason people assume Windows 7 is hardware-heavy?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Serious shut down issue - I assume.
Three times in the last month my system has simply shut itself down abnormally and rebooted, right in the middle of whatever I was doing. Upon restarting it informs me that windows has just shut abnormally (duh) and do I want it to do a diagnostic and repair. Given that the alternative is go...
Hardware & Devices
BlackSOD 256 124 Hardware problem. Usually under heavy loads.
Hello, I have been having Black Screens of Death starting about 6 months ago. These BSOD 95% of the time occur when under heavier loads such as World of Warcraft + a few other heavy loads. The other 5% is just browsing. It mainly started when I would boot up my computer and see American Mega Trends...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD-Driver Issue I Assume?
Can anyone help? Thanks in advance
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD for no Reason. Blue Screen Viewer says ntoskrln.exe is reason
Good evening, I own an ACER Extensa 5620 2 GB of RAM OP Is Windows 7 Home Premium x64 bit the original installed OS on the system was Vista full retail version?
BSOD Help and Support
Any way to force IE9 to assume a subdomain?
If I disable "search from address bar" in IE9, attempting to visit http://uncg.edu results in a 404 error. The University of North Carolina at Greensboro, however, works fine. I can omit the subdomain from some websites (such as http://sevenforums.com), but others simply won't allow me to. Also,...
Browsers & Mail
Windows 7 Freezes on heavy network usage
Hi everyone I just got myself a new computer and put windows 7 on it. Everything seems to work great until I installed utorrent on and start some bt downloading. As soon as the downloading starts and get some speed, windows will freeze and I'll have to hard reboot the computer. I use a PPPoE...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:10.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App