Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7: Corruption in large file transfers to USB drives

14 Feb 2011   #21
Pleco

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Pleco View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Have you tried a clean reinstall to see if the behavior continues? I'd clean reinstall without any tweaking or SFV to see the difference.

As a last resort you could also try a Repair Install, but if you have corruption in the SFV program or from tweaking it might let it back through.

Tips for getting a baseline purrfect reinstall - use the ones which apply: re-install windows 7
I have already tried a complete fresh install on a separate hard drive but the same thing occurs. I have never done any tweaking on my Windows 7, I left it on default settings. As for SFV, I downloaded a fresh copy of Quicksfv each time so I doubt it was corrupted itself. I have been using Quicksfv for over a decade now and it has never let me down.
But how long have you used SFV on Win7? If you've reinstalled to the same problem, then I'd try running for awhile without it. In fact I would not use any file copying program or anything like it at all until you elminate this as causing this as it is otherwise unheard of in Win7.

You should also wipe your HD of all code before trying reinstall as Infection or other corruption cannot be ruled out yet.
I have been using Quicksfv on Windows 7 RC for half a year with absolutely no problems. Once I moved to Windows 7 Retail is when first saw this happen. Quicksfv is NOT a file copying program, I only use Windows explorer for copying files. All it does is create a separate text file with a CRC32 checksum or MD5 of the file.

Infection and corruption of the OS has been ruled out, if you were to read my later posts, I have already stated at least 3 times that I have used a separate hard drive to install Windows 7 on.

Here's some people with the same problem:

Files corrupt after copy to usb hard disk





My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
14 Feb 2011   #22
Pleco

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maguscreed View Post
I actually tried testing this myself on a video I had. 9 gigs of video copied over. Reported as corrupted. I played the video start to finish. There was not so much as one tiny sound hitch or out of place pixel in the entire video. If corruption occurred it was not anything that could be detected by me or the media player.
Thank you, finally someone who understands what I'm experiencing .

Some of the files I'm backing up are important database files, so I can't have any corruption in them at all. And opening them up to check every bit of information would take forever.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Feb 2011   #23
unifex

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)
 
 

I will second what Maguscreed posted: I do routinely copy large video files (starting from 1.1GB up to 8GB) onto various USB media - USB drives and external hard drives. I have never seen any problem - the videos are perfectly playable before, after, and on the USB media (basically, I never watch any video on my PC, I just copy the files onto one large USB stick, plug it into my Blu-Ray player and watch on the big screen).

My question to the OP is, what are other signs of corruption apart from your using the Quicksfv software? Were your videos rendered unplayable or various artifacts introduced? Were iso files corrupted, meaning burning software would not recognize them? Same thing with compressed archives? Basically these are the large files types that come to mind. You keep referring to the Quicksfv results, but for example my personal experience and possibly that of many others is that we do copy large files through USB, see no ill effect whatsoever, but never "check" file integrity with special software, such as Quicksfv (of which I have frankly not even heard before). Maybe this program just gives you false results?

My two cents.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Feb 2011   #24
unifex

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Pleco View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maguscreed View Post
I actually tried testing this myself on a video I had. 9 gigs of video copied over. Reported as corrupted. I played the video start to finish. There was not so much as one tiny sound hitch or out of place pixel in the entire video. If corruption occurred it was not anything that could be detected by me or the media player.
Thank you, finally someone who understands what I'm experiencing .

Some of the files I'm backing up are important database files, so I can't have any corruption in them at all. And opening them up to check every bit of information would take forever.
I think you misinterpreted this post. I highlight what I see as key phrases.

Did you ever try any other software instead of Quicksfv?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Feb 2011   #25
Bill2

Windows 7 x64 pro/ Windows 7 x86 Pro/ XP SP3 x86
 
 

Try copying with a 3rd party tool like teracopy.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Feb 2011   #26
Pleco

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by unifex View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Pleco View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maguscreed View Post
I actually tried testing this myself on a video I had. 9 gigs of video copied over. Reported as corrupted. I played the video start to finish. There was not so much as one tiny sound hitch or out of place pixel in the entire video. If corruption occurred it was not anything that could be detected by me or the media player.
Thank you, finally someone who understands what I'm experiencing .

Some of the files I'm backing up are important database files, so I can't have any corruption in them at all. And opening them up to check every bit of information would take forever.
I think you misinterpreted this post. I highlight what I see as key phrases.

Did you ever try any other software instead of Quicksfv?
I have most of my large files compressed with WinRAR to make them smaller. When I run the Test function it fails and reports at least one corrupted file. Yes I have tried other programs like SFV Checker and RapidCRC.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Feb 2011   #27
Phenom78

Windows Seven
 
 

did you check your ram? Maybe there is some bad block that is causing problems?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Feb 2011   #28
Pleco

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Phenom78 View Post
did you check your ram? Maybe there is some bad block that is causing problems?
Yes, with Memtest86+ for more than 24 hours.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2011   #29
unifex

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)
 
 

You still did not answer the basic question - did you see any other signs of corruption apart from those test results?

I understand that it might be time consuming to check that every time you copy a file, but once or twice - it's definitely worth it. You do realize that most people copy large files without any problem, but never run any tests to "confirm" it. If I copy a video on my USB stick and it plays without a hitch on my Blu-Ray and at the same time a test will report it as corrupted - I will simply discard the testing software as useless.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2011   #30
Pleco

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by unifex View Post
You still did not answer the basic question - did you see any other signs of corruption apart from those test results?

I understand that it might be time consuming to check that every time you copy a file, but once or twice - it's definitely worth it. You do realize that most people copy large files without any problem, but never run any tests to "confirm" it. If I copy a video on my USB stick and it plays without a hitch on my Blu-Ray and at the same time a test will report it as corrupted - I will simply discard the testing software as useless.
Scroll up a bit and you'll see I already answered that I compressed some files with WinRAR and when I run the test function it fails and reports at least one file was corrupted and cannot be extracted. This confirms my data was corrupted on the external and can't be used. I used several other checking programs as well. My files are not videos, I can't play them with a video player. Neither are they ISO images I can burn and verify.

I always check the integrity of my files when I back them up to any external source, and have been doing so for the last 15 years. This is the first time I have run INto this problem that's not related to hardware defects since its ONLY occurs on Windows 7. Xp, Linux, and even OSX copies large files absolutely fine without a hitch.

You say testing software is useless? So how exactly do you test the integrity of your files then? What do you tell your boss when you were too lazy and felt there was no need to do a simple integrity check and you just lost months of work due to corrupted files and you can't meet the project deadline?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7: Corruption in large file transfers to USB drives




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
large (> 4 GB) file transfers in FAT32/NTFS
i am trying to transfer a 4 GB+ file (video) onto a 32 GB pendrive (FAT32) but a message - "The file 'xyz' is too large for the destination file system" - comes. is it because the pendrive has FAT32 formatting? and if so, should i format it into NTFS?
General Discussion
File transfers to external drives wont complete
When trying to move large files (under 2gb, im well aware of NTFS/FAT32) the file will transfer up to 99% and then will hang of upwards of 3-5mins before sometimes completing and just flat out wont transfer multiple large files at all, will hang after the first file gets to the same condition as...
Hardware & Devices
BSOD when running handbrake or during large file transfers
This is a computer that I built a couple of months ago and it consistently crashes when running handbrake, not every time but say 3 out of 4 times. It will also crash when making large file transfers like moving my movies from one hard drive to another. I have ran Memtest86 without any problems. I...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD on large USB data transfers
Second try at having someone help me with a recurrent BSOD. The last time I just formatted the drive and reinstalled Win 7. This problem has been happening to me ever since I bought the laptop: I get BSODs transfering large amounts of USB data (10 GB or more), sometimes it's just when I connect...
BSOD Help and Support
Connection drops with large transfers
I noticed that when I try to copy over a 4.02GB file from my desktop to my laptop it goes for about 10-15 minutes and then stalls before telling me that the file destination/source no longer exists and cancels the transfer. But if I leave it alone they'll see each other in a few minutes time. This...
Network & Sharing
BSOD on large file transfers
I have been trying to reload all the data back to the pc after reinstalling windows. whenever I try to copy a folder larger then 10GB it will copy most of the files but then crash with a BSOD the error info is listed below. Problem signature: Problem Event Name: BlueScreen OS Version: ...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:25.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App