Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: For everyone concerned about buying the upgrade disk

28 Jun 2009   #71
harpua

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (Retail)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by grouchpunk08 View Post
Even without the original vista DVD, as long as you still have your vista partition installed, you can do an in place upgrade from within vista using the upgrade 7 dvd and choose clean install. It will see you have vista installed, and never ask you for the Vista DVD, as it will have already confirmed you are eligible for upgrade key activation
My understanding (which might be wrong) is that is correct unless the upgrade path to 7 from the particular installed version of Vista happens to not be supported. For example, Vista Business to 7 Home Premium (which makes no sense since V. Bus is more expensive than the supported alternative anyway). So in that case, don't know whether it would even ask for Vista installation media and I think the double install method might still be required.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
28 Jun 2009   #72
grouchpunk08

Windows 7 Ultimate retail // Windows 7 build 7264 x64, Vista Home Premium SP2 x64
 
 

Yeah if your trying an unsupported upgrade path then yeah the double install of 7 would be the technique to use
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jun 2009   #73
harpua

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (Retail)
 
 

I just am praying that that method, in fact, will still work when the RTM is released.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Jun 2009   #74
grouchpunk08

Windows 7 Ultimate retail // Windows 7 build 7264 x64, Vista Home Premium SP2 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by harpua View Post
I just am praying that that method, in fact, will still work when the RTM is released.
Well being that MS put that method in there purposefully, as others and mods have said in other threads, I fully believe it will still be a working method
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jun 2009   #75
K3VL4R

Windows 7 Ultimate X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by HyperL View Post
This all upgrade thing sucks...I don't have the previous OS dvd...I didn't received one, I only had a recovery partition on my laptop. Any word on how the upgrade works on Notebooks that came with OEM Windows Vista and no DVD?
Most OEMs just buy bulk licenses instead of a bunch of OEM disks. That is why you did not get the disk with your computer. As I see it though if you have a Vista sticker on your computer containing a valid key then you are legally entitled to have in your posession the install media as well. Then you can save some time and use the single install method with a format and the Vista disk.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jun 2009   #76
harpua

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (Retail)
 
 

I certainly intend to try that first.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jun 2009   #77
grouchpunk08

Windows 7 Ultimate retail // Windows 7 build 7264 x64, Vista Home Premium SP2 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by K3VL4R View Post
Most OEMs just buy bulk licenses instead of a bunch of OEM disks. That is why you did not get the disk with your computer. As I see it though if you have a Vista sticker on your computer containing a valid key then you are legally entitled to have in your posession the install media as well. Then you can save some time and use the single install method with a format and the Vista disk.
I've heard that if you didnt recieve an install disk, you can call your PC manufacturer and request one, and they kinda hafta send you one. Even if they didn't, you can run the upgrade 7 disk inside of vista, and make it format before it installs 7 after it confirms upgrade eligibility
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jun 2009   #78
DJG

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by K3VL4R View Post
Most OEMs just buy bulk licenses instead of a bunch of OEM disks. That is why you did not get the disk with your computer. As I see it though if you have a Vista sticker on your computer containing a valid key then you are legally entitled to have in your posession the install media as well. Then you can save some time and use the single install method with a format and the Vista disk.
Lenovo seems to work that way. They do include a utility to create the installation CDs / DVD and it only allows you to do so once. I used it to create my XP Pro install disc, which ended up being a bunch of CDs then I realized I could have created it as one DVD. When I tried to do that I got the brush off "Sorry, only one to a customer!"
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jun 2009   #79
K3VL4R

Windows 7 Ultimate X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DJG View Post
Lenovo seems to work that way. They do include a utility to create the installation CDs / DVD and it only allows you to do so once. I used it to create my XP Pro install disc, which ended up being a bunch of CDs then I realized I could have created it as one DVD. When I tried to do that I got the brush off "Sorry, only one to a customer!"
Yeah that does suck. But like it was posted above, contact Lenovo and tell them that they are responsible for providing an authentic installation disk. Google some stuff to use as ammo if you think they will give you a hard time but I don't think you will if you explain to them you are an OS enthusiast and that the bunch of cd's you got lying around are a real hassle.

But as far as Win 7 goes you cannot upgrade from XP anyway, so you might as well get your hands on a Vista disk as you do not need a Vista key only the disk to perform the clean install from the upgrade disk.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jun 2009   #80
grouchpunk08

Windows 7 Ultimate retail // Windows 7 build 7264 x64, Vista Home Premium SP2 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by K3VL4R View Post
Yeah that does suck. But like it was posted above, contact Lenovo and tell them that they are responsible for providing an authentic installation disk. Google some stuff to use as ammo if you think they will give you a hard time but I don't think you will if you explain to them you are an OS enthusiast and that the bunch of cd's you got lying around are a real hassle.

But as far as Win 7 goes you cannot upgrade from XP anyway, so you might as well get your hands on a Vista disk as you do not need a Vista key only the disk to perform the clean install from the upgrade disk.
I'm pretty sure that microsoft stating no upgrade path from xp to 7 means that they cant do non-clean install upgrade. Substituting an XP disk for a vista disk during the 7 install process would work, and choosing upgrade from inside XP and choosing clean install would work.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 For everyone concerned about buying the upgrade disk




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Should we be concerned
I read this today and the thing about it that concerns me is the point regarding the relationship between Microsoft and Dell I am of course thinking of the use of the ISO we put on sticks. 5 consequences of Dell's $24.4 billion deal to go private | The Social Analyst - CNET News
Chillout Room
buying windows 7 i'm concerned about .......
Hello, I've got Windows 7 home premium 64 bit some functionality like the security policy editor or the grouppolicy editor are not included in this version so i'm considering a "anytime upgrade" to Ultimate i found this but it says at the bottom My first remark is why are americans...
General Discussion
Buying new Windows because of PC UPgrade - Pricing
I'm going to have to re-buy my windows licences because I am going to replace 3 PCs primary components; Motherboard, CPU and RAM. The only active component not being replaced is the HDD. When I talked to Microsoft they said I have to re-buy Windows. The $1300 I spent on licences When Windows 7...
Windows Updates & Activation
Upgrade Win 7 home prem to professional using upgrade disk
I bought a Win 7 Professional upgrade disk at retail and want to use it to upgrade a new computer that has Win 7 Home Professional installed. The installation stopped and I was directed to use Windows Anytime Upgrade to do the job. Microsoft expects me to purchase a key in order to perform the...
Installation & Setup
I'm concerned now.
I was wanting to get a Windows 7 machine and being a hard core gamer I have read many posts about games like flightsim that don't work in the 64 bit environment, so I am thinking of abandoning the whole Windows machine idea if my 32 bit programs wont run or run poorly. I heard nothing but good...
Gaming
Win7 Pro 64bit Upgrade Key w/ Prem 32bit Upgrade Disk
To avoid the Student Win 7 hassle (upgrading Vista 32 to Win 7 Pro 64 bit ISO burn, etc), can I simply use the Home Prem 32 Upgrade (for my other computer) arriving this afternoon with my 64bit Pro upgrade key & end up with the 64bit Pro installation? Thanks.
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App