Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Desktop icons with an "X" on them.

25 Feb 2011   #11
Imperfect1

 
 

If you have overlay icons (your Xs) over your shortcut arrows on top of your Desktop icons this Tutorial may help: Shortcut Arrow.

If you follow the Tutorial (above) you may need to make the following adjustment: when “extracting” the ZIP file, right-click on the ZIP file, select Open With, and choose: Internet Explorer. Then select: Extract file to remove or replace shortcut arrow. That opens up a Folder, in which each of the files can be right-clicked and Properties can be accessed.

I had a similar type of problem a while back and created a thread on it (in Vista Forums), which might be of some help and guidance for your problem too: HELP! I've Got Double-Layer Desktop Icons! - Vista Forums



My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
01 Mar 2011   #12
000

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Hi again!Look at my icons today.I have no idea what is going on.Is this some new MS style or what?


Attached Images
Desktop icons with an "X" on them.-icons.png 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Mar 2011   #13
alphanumeric

Windows 10 Education 64 bit
 
 

Thats the overlay you get when you share a printer. I wouldn't be in a big hurry to blame Microsoft, except for the fact that they won't let you easily ditch the shortcut arrows. Its more likely the result of the theme your using and the way it installed. That or running a program to try and remove the shortcut arrow overlay. There are a few suggestions and links posted did you look at or try any of them yet.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

01 Mar 2011   #14
wilywombat

win7
 
 

Have you got up to date AV such as MSE and anti-malware such as Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on your system? If so give it a thorugh scan!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Mar 2011   #15
000

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wilywombat View Post
Have you got up to date AV such as MSE and anti-malware such as Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on your system? If so give it a thorugh scan!
I have Outpost Security Suite free(real time), MBAM, SAS, Emsisoft Free Emergency Kit (On Demand scanners).

Quote:
Thats the overlay you get when you share a printer. I wouldn't be in a big hurry to blame Microsoft, except for the fact that they won't let you easily ditch the shortcut arrows. Its more likely the result of the theme your using and the way it installed. That or running a program to try and remove the shortcut arrow overlay. There are a few suggestions and links posted did you look at or try any of them yet.
Tried and removed the arrows, but the problem still persists.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Mar 2011   #16
alphanumeric

Windows 10 Education 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 000 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wilywombat View Post
Have you got up to date AV such as MSE and anti-malware such as Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on your system? If so give it a thorugh scan!
I have Outpost Security Suite free(real time), MBAM, SAS, Emsisoft Free Emergency Kit (On Demand scanners).

Quote:
Thats the overlay you get when you share a printer. I wouldn't be in a big hurry to blame Microsoft, except for the fact that they won't let you easily ditch the shortcut arrows. Its more likely the result of the theme your using and the way it installed. That or running a program to try and remove the shortcut arrow overlay. There are a few suggestions and links posted did you look at or try any of them yet.
Tried and removed the arrows, but the problem still persists.
This isn't meant to be sarcastic, but I think the problem is that you tried to remove the arrows in the first place. My recommendation is to undo and or uninstall whatever program you used to try and remove them. It obviously isn't working the way it was intended. Its not pointing to a blank/clear overlay in what ever dll file its referenced too.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Mar 2011   #17
000

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 000 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wilywombat View Post
Have you got up to date AV such as MSE and anti-malware such as Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on your system? If so give it a thorugh scan!
I have Outpost Security Suite free(real time), MBAM, SAS, Emsisoft Free Emergency Kit (On Demand scanners).

Quote:
Thats the overlay you get when you share a printer. I wouldn't be in a big hurry to blame Microsoft, except for the fact that they won't let you easily ditch the shortcut arrows. Its more likely the result of the theme your using and the way it installed. That or running a program to try and remove the shortcut arrow overlay. There are a few suggestions and links posted did you look at or try any of them yet.
Tried and removed the arrows, but the problem still persists.
This isn't meant to be sarcastic, but I think the problem is that you tried to remove the arrows in the first place. My recommendation is to undo and or uninstall whatever program you used to try and remove them. It obviously isn't working the way it was intended. Its not pointing to a blank/clear overlay in what ever dll file its referenced too.
I did all this already.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Mar 2011   #18
alphanumeric

Windows 10 Education 64 bit
 
 

I don't have any other suggestions.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Mar 2011   #19
Rhammstein

HP Win7 Pro x64 | Custom Win7 Pro x64
 
 

As dumb as it may sound, I had issues with my icons because of an app not too long ago; I deleted all the shorcuts and created new ones, problem gone. Nothing I did would fix the icons/shorcuts already there. Probably won't help but it's at least something.. I can't think of anything other than what's already been posted.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Nov 2012   #20
asusmyz

Windows 7 64
 
 

I had the same issue, found out it had to do with SugarSync desktop auto sync was active.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Desktop icons with an "X" on them.




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Problem with desktop icons / unable to delete "thumbs.db" files
All pdf and Microsoft Office files on my laptop are shown with a generic Windows thumbnail instead of the Adobe, Word or Excel thumbnail. From what I've read, I want to delete the "thumbcache.db" files and I found them but Windows won't allow me to delete them. It keeps saying they are in...
Performance & Maintenance
Display all Icons in Desktop Folders as "Medium Icons"' (by Default)?
Hi Everyone, What is the best way to get Windows 7 Professional to display all the icons inside the folders on my desktop as "Medium Icons" (view settings) by default, unless I specifically indicate that I want certain icons displayed in another way? Also, I use the file management program...
Customization
Black desktop icons and no "IconCache.db" in local folder?
EDIT: Okay, I've solved the problem simply by creating a file named iconcache.db "using notepad" and marked it as "read only" via properties menu. Hi all, and thanks for this site that I always use to solve my problems.. Every time I boot my computer the icons of programs and folders...
Customization
How to delete weird white icons "files" on desktop
I do have 3 weird icons on the desktop. Each I delete them and refresh desktop or reboot computer they appear again! Anyone knows what to do to delete them. Thank you. ScreenShot 1 http://13c.imghost.us/t4.jpg ScreenShot 2 http://13c.imghost.us/wf.jpg
General Discussion
[HELP] Red "x" on disk icons, desktop icons changed!
Hey, guys. Finally I have found the place where my problem might get solved. Thing is: 1.There is a big "X" on 3 out of 4 disks I got(except "C" disk) as shown in the picture below: http://i42.tinypic.com/15fssas.jpg 2.Desktop icons are changed as well but not all of them.
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

İ Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:30.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App