Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: 7, I Hate!

05 Mar 2011   #31
Vertex

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9 Gnome 32 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sp3c5 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Vertex View Post
I disagree with a lot of your statements. If you got to the Default program settings, you can just set Windows Media Player 12 to open up your .gif images. Trust me, I tried it and the .gif pictures move on Windows Media Player 12 or better yet like what someone else suggested, get a third party program to do that for you. There is a ton of advantage on Windows 7 over XP and I find XP's interface kind of antique when I use it. I suggest you watch tutorials of Windows 7 on Youtube so you get an better picture of how its done. And yes, read manuals, guides and tutorials. There's a lot of them on the Internet which you can read or watch for free. Youtube for example. Discover for yourself before you immediately arrive to such conclusions and rants.
GIF pictures play at light speed. Useless
Did you even read carefully what I was saying?? Read a manual, watch tutorials and stuff and I am beginning to think you are rather being offensive on this forum. Sorry for that. And the Aero snap features are cool too. You can drag a Window into the top of the screen and it would maximize, drag it to the side, it will fill half of the screen. Click on the rectangular button on the furthest right side of the taskbar and all your Windows get minimized and the Desktop is shown. Looking at the Control Panel alone, you see far more control choices than that on old Windows XP, a testimony of how much better Windows 7 is. The taskbar and Start Menu jumplists let you see and open recently opened files. And the Search function on the Start Menu can help you locate programs and files in your computer. Of course there are so much more new things in it that are helpful in one way or another. I actually find those as very helpful and a ton of improvements than Windows XP.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
05 Mar 2011   #32
Sp3c5

7 Ultimate 64Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote:
So pinning you items to your Taskbar makes it like a QuickLaunch icon?
I never really cared for Quick Launch because you cannot properly organize your stuff. And the teskbar is nice for the essentials, but if you have a lot of shortcuts (50 or more), neither the Quick Launch nor the taskbar will do. For that I suggest to use the toolbars. They are so much more flexible, very easy to maintain and you can stuff anything into them

But for the really quick access items, I use. And if you "hide" it, it is not even in the way. It takes any shortcut (files, folders, URLs, devices, etc.)
Thanks for the tip. Upon watching the video it just makes me wonder more. You have two essential items that have always been around with Windows. That is the desktop ,obviously, and the great Start Menu (Not being sarcastic). In the video you showed me, it "bypasses" the Start Menu by create toolbars. Which XP has FYI. Telling me to use it now it like Apple and "Facetime". Video calls have been around way before "Facetime". No need to put old techniques on a silver platter. Every time I had a fresh install of XP, the first things I would always do is remove that damn "Links" bar beside the Icon Tray. It's what my Start Menu is for.

Second thing he mentions is he always likes to have a clean desktop. I respect that. He then continues to say that he never has more then two Icons on it. I beg your pardon but what are you using for then? The desktop that is.

I'm sorry, but I find that more people show me newer techniques, I can't help but ask myself; What makes this "Y" technique different or that much better from the previous "X" technique?

On another note, I don't want anybody thinking I actually hate Windows 7. My thread might be misleading, but it was more for; "7, I hate because of..."

I think the new OS from MS is fantastic and a great upgrade. Smooth and very appealing to use. Just a lot of the stuff out there makes wonder what they were thinking.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Mar 2011   #33
Sp3c5

7 Ultimate 64Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Vertex View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sp3c5 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Vertex View Post
I disagree with a lot of your statements. If you got to the Default program settings, you can just set Windows Media Player 12 to open up your .gif images. Trust me, I tried it and the .gif pictures move on Windows Media Player 12 or better yet like what someone else suggested, get a third party program to do that for you. There is a ton of advantage on Windows 7 over XP and I find XP's interface kind of antique when I use it. I suggest you watch tutorials of Windows 7 on Youtube so you get an better picture of how its done. And yes, read manuals, guides and tutorials. There's a lot of them on the Internet which you can read or watch for free. Youtube for example. Discover for yourself before you immediately arrive to such conclusions and rants.
GIF pictures play at light speed. Useless
Did you even read carefully what I was saying?? Read a manual, watch tutorials and stuff and I am beginning to think you are rather being offensive on this forum. Sorry for that. And the Aero snap features are cool too. You can drag a Window into the top of the screen and it would maximize, drag it to the side, it will fill half of the screen. Click on the rectangular button on the furthest right side of the taskbar and all your Windows get minimized and the Desktop is shown. Looking at the Control Panel alone, you see far more control choices than that on old Windows XP, a testimony of how much better Windows 7 is. The taskbar and Start Menu jumplists let you see and open recently opened files. And the Search function on the Start Menu can help you locate programs and files in your computer. Of course there are so much more new things in it that are helpful in one way or another. I actually find those as very helpful and a ton of improvements than Windows XP.

I guess I should of cut the quote early, my main focus was about WMP. I agree with reading and everything but telling me Windows Media Player is a solution was almost a joke. I have been using the Aero functions. They are great. However, this is not what I am complaining about. There are many things I have found fun. Like running command lines straight from the Start Menu in the "always to be displayed" search bar. Something I never got to experience since I'm a straight from XP to 7 OS.
Don't get me wrong. There are great improvements, just some a very questionable.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Mar 2011   #34
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

WHOOOOOOOSHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

The Wind blow my hair...loved that XP since before SP1....i can only love 7 more than nobody can think! It's still a MS Windows OS and you can't get lost with it!

I beat MS:

It wasn't my idea!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Mar 2011   #35
Kari

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sp3c5 View Post
Cool Cool. But when I click to open a program, Chrome for example, the "Quick Launch" "disappears" and becomes a task bar tab. Now I have to Right Click->Open New Browser..
If you prefer the traditional QuickLaunch toolbar, it's still present in Seven, it's just not enabled by default. Quick Launch - Enable or Disable

Here's mine, in my vertical taskbar on the left side of the desktop:

7, I Hate!-taskbar_03.png

Kari


My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Mar 2011   #36
Sp3c5

7 Ultimate 64Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sp3c5 View Post
Cool Cool. But when I click to open a program, Chrome for example, the "Quick Launch" "disappears" and becomes a task bar tab. Now I have to Right Click->Open New Browser..
If you prefer the traditional QuickLaunch toolbar, it's still present in Seven, it's just not enabled by default. Quick Launch - Enable or Disable

Here's mine, in my vertical taskbar on the left side of the desktop:

Attachment 141955

Kari
Thanks for the tut man! Although Iv'e managed to make a partial blend of XP and 7 that suits my needs. On the other, the side Taskbar made me realize I could have longer titles on the Taskbar tabs...great for multiple opened browsers.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Mar 2011   #37
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sp3c5 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote:
So pinning you items to your Taskbar makes it like a QuickLaunch icon?
I never really cared for Quick Launch because you cannot properly organize your stuff. And the teskbar is nice for the essentials, but if you have a lot of shortcuts (50 or more), neither the Quick Launch nor the taskbar will do. For that I suggest to use the toolbars. They are so much more flexible, very easy to maintain and you can stuff anything into them

But for the really quick access items, I use. And if you "hide" it, it is not even in the way. It takes any shortcut (files, folders, URLs, devices, etc.)
Thanks for the tip. Upon watching the video it just makes me wonder more. You have two essential items that have always been around with Windows. That is the desktop ,obviously, and the great Start Menu (Not being sarcastic). In the video you showed me, it "bypasses" the Start Menu by create toolbars. Which XP has FYI. Telling me to use it now it like Apple and "Facetime". Video calls have been around way before "Facetime". No need to put old techniques on a silver platter. Every time I had a fresh install of XP, the first things I would always do is remove that damn "Links" bar beside the Icon Tray. It's what my Start Menu is for.

Second thing he mentions is he always likes to have a clean desktop. I respect that. He then continues to say that he never has more then two Icons on it. I beg your pardon but what are you using for then? The desktop that is.

I'm sorry, but I find that more people show me newer techniques, I can't help but ask myself; What makes this "Y" technique different or that much better from the previous "X" technique?

On another note, I don't want anybody thinking I actually Windows 7. My thread might be misleading, but it was more for; "7, I hate because of..."

I think the new OS from MS is fantastic and a great upgrade. Smooth and very appealing to use. Just a lot of the stuff out there makes wonder what they were thinking.
I think you did not catch that I made this video tutorial and that I implemented it that way. But you are probably best advised to go back to XP and drive a Ford Model T.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Mar 2011   #38
Sp3c5

7 Ultimate 64Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sp3c5 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
I never really cared for Quick Launch because you cannot properly organize your stuff. And the teskbar is nice for the essentials, but if you have a lot of shortcuts (50 or more), neither the Quick Launch nor the taskbar will do. For that I suggest to use the toolbars. They are so much more flexible, very easy to maintain and you can stuff anything into them

But for the really quick access items, I use. And if you "hide" it, it is not even in the way. It takes any shortcut (files, folders, URLs, devices, etc.)
Thanks for the tip. Upon watching the video it just makes me wonder more. You have two essential items that have always been around with Windows. That is the desktop ,obviously, and the great Start Menu (Not being sarcastic). In the video you showed me, it "bypasses" the Start Menu by create toolbars. Which XP has FYI. Telling me to use it now it like Apple and "Facetime". Video calls have been around way before "Facetime". No need to put old techniques on a silver platter. Every time I had a fresh install of XP, the first things I would always do is remove that damn "Links" bar beside the Icon Tray. It's what my Start Menu is for.

Second thing he mentions is he always likes to have a clean desktop. I respect that. He then continues to say that he never has more then two Icons on it. I beg your pardon but what are you using for then? The desktop that is.

I'm sorry, but I find that more people show me newer techniques, I can't help but ask myself; What makes this "Y" technique different or that much better from the previous "X" technique?

On another note, I don't want anybody thinking I actually Windows 7. My thread might be misleading, but it was more for; "7, I hate because of..."

I think the new OS from MS is fantastic and a great upgrade. Smooth and very appealing to use. Just a lot of the stuff out there makes wonder what they were thinking.
I think you did not catch that I made this video tutorial and that I implemented it that way. But you are probably best advised to go back to XP and drive a Ford Model T.

My grandfather owns a Model T, I take your advise and enjoy every second of it. Something you won't be experiencing now will you?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Mar 2011   #39
Sp3c5

7 Ultimate 64Bit
 
 

Well here is my desktop as of now. I thank Kari for the wonderful help!


Attached Thumbnails
7, I Hate!-mydesktop.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Mar 2011   #40
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Take it easy, here are some enjoyed guys whilling to help you find windows 7 easier & attractive.

Your desktop: that's a start, no?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 7, I Hate!




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
I hate the new Solitaire
I've been playing solitaire on my computer since? (well I can't really remember that far back) So when I first loaded Windows 7 (true also with Vista) I found that MS had actually paid some guy to mess it up the look and feel of Solitaire (expletives deleted). It looks really sick and doesn't...
Gaming
Ipad - I HATE it already
Hi all as one who hates cluttered desktops etc I was never into the Iphone with all those horrible little icons (Apps ?) all over the screen - so predictably the Ipad has just EXCEEDED my worst nightmare as a MUST NOT HAVE device. I don't really like touch screens - keyboards and mice are...
Chillout Room
something i hate
:mad: i was perusing the forum just looking for some thread topics that might interest me. i came across one where the op was asking for suggestions for a product (trying to leave things vague to protect identities). anyway, people chimed in and gave their input. pretty much after each input from...
Chillout Room
Help me not hate my computer
I'm not exactly an advanced user, just to get that out in the open. I've been going through this site trying to find someone having the same problem as I am-with no luck. So first the background. I got my new laptop a little over a month ago and my problem has been exactly the same since I...
Network & Sharing
I hate shortcuts that don't do anything
When you have your user folder, I notice "My Documents" which lets me see all my documents, but there is a lot of shortcuts to the same places. It pisses me off that I see "My documents" and click on it, only to receive a nasty message and then I see it is the shortcut. Why is the shortcut there if...
Customization
I hate W7 for one reason!
I have upgraded from Windows XP SP3 to Windows 7. I can't stand it for only one reason. Somebody help me out with this. If you open photoshop (or any program) and create a new file and save it. Close. Then open the file again and make a change I get the message: "Could not save...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App