Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Where can I modify the Windows Aero properties?

30 Jun 2009   #1
Codfish

Windows 7 32bit(main) and Windows XP
 
 
Where can I modify the Windows Aero properties?

Is there anyway I can modify the Windows Aero theme properties?
I want to make myself a custom Windows Aero theme, but I don't know where to find the actual folder or file that contains all of the coding.

I've tried searching for files in the start bar with the key phrase Aero, UI, even glass but I can't find anything.

I know I will have to backup all of my files and stuff, and I will.

Thanks,


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
30 Jun 2009   #2
grouchpunk08

Windows 7 Ultimate retail // Windows 7 build 7264 x64, Vista Home Premium SP2 x64
 
 

the files that contain aero - windows 7-windows-resources-themes-aero
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jun 2009   #3
Codfish

Windows 7 32bit(main) and Windows XP
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by grouchpunk08 View Post
the files that contain aero - windows 7-windows-resources-themes-aero
Is it possible to modify that?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Jun 2009   #4
grouchpunk08

Windows 7 Ultimate retail // Windows 7 build 7264 x64, Vista Home Premium SP2 x64
 
 

im not sure, I know people have used a program called reshacker to modify explorer.exe, so that might let you modify the aero files. I'm not exactly sure tho.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jun 2009   #5
Generator

XP Pro SP3 x86/Vista SP2 x64/Win7 x64 Triple-boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Codfish View Post
Is it possible to modify that?
Yep, 'C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\Aero\aero.msstyles' is just a .dll file named different. ResHacker will let you open the file and then you can extract the images to a folder. you can then open them in your favourite graphics editor and import your files back inside the file afterwards.

you will have to turn aero off first and switch to a basic style to save it though.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jun 2009   #6
Codfish

Windows 7 32bit(main) and Windows XP
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Generator View Post
Yep, 'C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\Aero\aero.msstyles' is just a .dll file named different. ResHacker will let you open the file and then you can extract the images to a folder. you can then open them in your favourite graphics editor and import your files back inside the file afterwards.

you will have to turn aero off first and switch to a basic style to save it though.
Is it possible to take out ALL of the Aero features and just make everything look like actual glass, or even clear ice?
I don't want to modify the pictures, I want to modify the design of stuff like the start bar, opened windows, etc.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jun 2009   #7
Generator

XP Pro SP3 x86/Vista SP2 x64/Win7 x64 Triple-boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Codfish View Post
Is it possible to take out ALL of the Aero features and just make everything look like actual glass, or even clear ice?
I don't want to modify the pictures, I want to modify the design of stuff like the start bar, opened windows, etc.
You cant alter the actual shape of stuff as such, just the actual look of it. Maybe you could do some transparency tricks on the corners of windows and Start-menu but you'll have to experiment to find out.

(Keep back-ups of the folder too if you are going to mess!)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jun 2009   #8
Codfish

Windows 7 32bit(main) and Windows XP
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Generator View Post
You cant alter the actual shape of stuff as such, just the actual look of it. Maybe you could do some transparency tricks on the corners of windows and Start-menu but you'll have to experiment to find out.

(Keep back-ups of the folder too if you are going to mess!)
I've tried reducing all of the transparency, but it still gives me some kind of start bar-ish feel to it.
I want it actually to be GONE, like the whole start bar appearance.

What program should I use to read the .dll files? The ResHack thing gives me hexadecimal values like
"0003F8E8 FD 00 00 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF " and I don't even KNOW what a BC_MAP is or anything of the sort.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to this .dll stuff.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jun 2009   #9
Generator

XP Pro SP3 x86/Vista SP2 x64/Win7 x64 Triple-boot
 
 

Look in the 'Images' folder not the BC_MAP one. I dont use ResHacker myself so I cant say exactly how to extract them but try right-clicking and going to 'Export' or something along them lines.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jun 2009   #10
Codfish

Windows 7 32bit(main) and Windows XP
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Generator View Post
Look in the 'Images' folder not the BC_MAP one. I dont use ResHacker myself so I cant say exactly how to extract them but try right-clicking and going to 'Export' or something along them lines.
If I were to modify it and want to try it, would I just rename the old file to themeui.old and then put my new one in there?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Where can I modify the Windows Aero properties?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How to look at BIOS (not modify) from within Windows 7
Is it possible to look at my BIOS settings from within windows 7? My Google search says 'No' it can't be done, but I am hoping I didn't look well enough. Why would I want to do so? In order to do proper research as to what I have and my settings are and then make changes if needed (later...
Hardware & Devices
Cannot modify files as Administrator in Windows 7
hi I cannot modify files as a real Administrator in Windows 7: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/access-the-real-administrator-account-in-windows-7/3656/ for example I cannot change this file: C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets\CPU.Gadget\en-US\cpu.html.
Customization
Can't modify host file in windows 7
Hi, I am using windows 7 professional. I can't change the host file even with the administrator user or any other user that has been given the administrator privileges which i could do easily in win xp. Any suggestions can help me a lot. Thanks in advance. Asad
System Security
Can you modify aero peek?
I have Rocketdock or RKLauncher for windows 7, and as you all know, aero peek makes all windows and programs transparent so you can view your desktop. Is there are way to prevent aero peek from hiding my docks from view when i click on aero peek? Thanks
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:59.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App