Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Everything is huge on new laptop, and I don't know how to reduce....

13 Mar 2011   #11
Tara100

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Just thought I'd pop back to say that I haven't resolved this problem, so if anyone else has any suggestions please....

(I need to change the size of the browser graphics / images / mailbox, not just the font size - that bit is very easy )

Regards
Tara


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
13 Mar 2011   #12
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Is this only specific to AOL or also with the IE for example. It may be an AOL setting that does that. I will see whether I can find it. Would like to have that on my systems because my AOL is itty-bitty and I can hardly read it.

BTW: none of the usual tricks suggested above like CTL and + work in AOL.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Mar 2011   #13
Tara100

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Is this only specific to AOL or also with the IE for example. It may be an AOL setting that does that. I will see whether I can find it. Would like to have that on my systems because my AOL is itty-bitty and I can hardly read it.

BTW: none of the usual tricks suggested above like CTL and + work in AOL.

Hello WHS

Yes IE and Firefox are affected, but not quite as much as AOL. It's going to drive me insane because I am having to endlessly scroll to see half of what I normally would see

My AOL mailbox is huge and even when it is stretched to its max, you can only see 12 mails inside - Now that doesn't sound bad, but believe me, it's not what I am used to on like on my XP machine, and the font is huge (as you say, you can't change the fonts within AOL e-mails etc)

The top info bar on my AOL page measures 1.5 inches depth (nearly double what it was, with very big icons) I have spent all night looking thru AOL settings / keywords and similar, and I can't find a solution

Just typing this reply, the font is size 14, when before it would have been 10.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you might find some info I've missed (I'm brain dead now)

Regards
Tara
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Mar 2011   #14
gregrocker

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tara100 View Post
Just thought I'd pop back to say that I haven't resolved this problem, so if anyone else has any suggestions please....

(I need to change the size of the browser graphics / images / mailbox, not just the font size - that bit is very easy )

Regards
Tara
Once again, check the Screen Resolution by rightclicking the desktop to make sure you have objects in correct proportion and close to the size you want.

On the screen res page, adjust the DPI size to further refine the sizing of windows, type, etc.

Next in Internet Explorer>Page tab adjust the Zoom so that the windows fit in their frame.

None of the given steps here refer to font size, although it may change in proportion to the rest of the sizing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Mar 2011   #15
Tara100

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tara100 View Post
Just thought I'd pop back to say that I haven't resolved this problem, so if anyone else has any suggestions please....

(I need to change the size of the browser graphics / images / mailbox, not just the font size - that bit is very easy )

Regards
Tara
Once again, check the Screen Resolution by rightclicking the desktop to make sure you have objects in correct proportion and close to the size you want.

On the screen res page, adjust the DPI size to further refine the sizing of windows, type, etc.

Next in Internet Explorer>Page tab adjust the Zoom so that the windows fit in their frame.

None of the given steps here refer to font size, although it may change in proportion to the rest of the sizing.
I have done the things you mention earlier today, and more. Altering the screen resolution just narrows the browser, making it disproportionate and leaving blank sides - the icons and graphics do not change size.

I have also made sure that 'Use large icons' in IE is NOT checked. Under 'view' in IE, text size is set at 'medium' - If I set it to 'smaller' then the page looks ridiculous...Here is IE with AOL set as my home page - The text is small set against those big graphics - if you are au fait with it, note the size of the usual AOL 'butterfly wing' then the System Mechanic advertisement and the ITN ad:


Attached Thumbnails
Everything is huge on new laptop, and I don't know how to reduce....-capture.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Mar 2011   #16
Tara100

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

WHS

If you are still about, here's almost how big my AOL mailbox is when it is opened and not expanded or decreased (I have hidden some of the top section so that my details are obscured, so it is actually bigger than seen here:


Attached Thumbnails
Everything is huge on new laptop, and I don't know how to reduce....-capture-2.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Mar 2011   #17
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tara100 View Post
WHS

If you are still about, here's almost how big my AOL mailbox is when it is opened and not expanded or decreased (I have hidden some of the top section so that my details are obscured, so it is actually bigger than seen here:
Hmm, looks normal to me. Mine is about the same.


Attached Thumbnails
Everything is huge on new laptop, and I don't know how to reduce....-2011-03-13_2110.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Mar 2011   #18
gregrocker

 

Zoom, not Text Size.


Attached Thumbnails
Everything is huge on new laptop, and I don't know how to reduce....-untitled.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Mar 2011   #19
Tara100

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Hi again WHS

When using my old XP laptop, and opening my AOL mailbox, it took up about a fifth of the screen and you could see more than double the amount of e-mails compared to using the Windows 7 laptop.

What do you think about the Internet Explorer screenshot I posted at #15, particularly the size of the ads compared to the text size?

Sorry
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Mar 2011   #20
Tara100

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Zoom, not Text Size.
Done that too, in every combination.....

This is 'medium' text size with 100% zoom:


Attached Thumbnails
Everything is huge on new laptop, and I don't know how to reduce....-capture3.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Everything is huge on new laptop, and I don't know how to reduce....




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows 7, Closing Laptop Lid causes volume to automatically reduce
Hi, Just having a weird problem with Windows 7. When I am using earphones or my laptop speakers and then I close the lid on my laptop, it causes a great reduction in the volume of the sound output automatically. While the laptop lid is still open, the volume on all programs remains normal. ...
Sound & Audio
I want to Reduce my Laptop processor heat
Hi, I am using Laptop 160GB HDD ,GB RAM, AMD TURION N550 processor. My processor cooling fan runs very fastly from booting time and emitting hot air continually. 1. I changed bios settings as defaults. 2. Changed OS. 3. Cooling fan is clean and clear. 4. No dust in air Ventilaters. 5....
Hardware & Devices
How do I reduce RAM usage
Hi all, I'm new to sevenforum. I hope you all can help me with this problem I have. I have Dell laptop of 2GB ram. Even though before I start any application my ram goes more than 60%. After when i start using applications (specially Chrome) it goes more than 80%. And also laptop gets damn hot....
Performance & Maintenance
Huge problems installing iTunes on new laptop 64 bit
Hello all I am having massive problems trying to install iTunes on my new laptop (Toshiba) which came preinstalled with Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. I've spent hours online today searching on forums trying to find a fix. I've tried disabling my Norton security software, taken off internet...
General Discussion
Having huge problems in booting up my laptop!
Hey people, Sorry if my thread title is bad but I am in kind of a huge messed up situation with my laptop. I have a toshiba laptop which comes with windows 7 home premium pre installed. Since today morning my laptop wont boot up. It will go to the screen showing starting windows and then a blue...
General Discussion
Laptop Sleeps during huge update install...
I booted up my laptop this morning and found it was installing some huge Windows update i didn't know it was due to. There are something like 240,000 files to be updated but once it gets to just over 40,000 files updated the laptop goes into what i think is sleep mode (although it could be that...
Windows Updates & Activation


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:54.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App