Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: WIN7 Performance

19 Mar 2011   #21
unifex

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)
 
 

Dude, I bet you haven't read what we are saying, not really.

1. Why do you have to upgrade to Windows 7? You don't.

1a. But they will stop supporting it! So what? I'm using Windows 2000 on my old Dell - works like a charm.

2. Why do you need a powerful computer to edit a basic spreadsheet? You don't.

3. Home networking more complex in Windows 7? I don't think so, but I guess you're entitled to your opinion. Myself, I could never get it working in XP. But that's me. You seem to have it under control.

4. Linux is faster that Windows on your hardware? That's of course possible, but let me ask you, what did you do with Linux? Did you use Photoshop? No. Did you use Excel? No. Did you use Acrobat (Pro, not reader)? I'm not sure that exists under Linux either. I am sure that there are no games. so what's faster? Firefox? That's subjective in my opinion. Granted, ext4 and even ext3 are supposed to be superior to NTFS. But my experience with ancient hardware - my old Dell - is that copying files to a USB drive in Ubuntu was so slow, I had no patience to wait for it to finish.

Conclusion: To each his own.

Question: Can we help you with anything or you just wanted a pat on the shoulder?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
19 Mar 2011   #22
LenL

win7 home premium 64 bit and 32 bit
 
 
I can read!

You folks love WIN7 and are making your case! I fully understand.

As far as Linux. OPEN OFFICE spread sheet and word processing functions are as functional and simpler to use than Word and Excel for most of what I do. Access does not have an equivalent.

There are photoshop like apps and games in LINUX. However I'm not going to try to sell you on Linux. To each his own as you say.

As far as migrating from 2000 and XP. Yes you have to if you use the Internet and Email and you want the latest security updates and fixes. Also software updates for other software I use is no longer supported for Win2000 which I use to have too.

Actually I have received lots of help on this forum. So I am appreciative of all you folks do even though I am arguing with you on this concern.

Short of you having connections with Microsoft and sending someone to my house so I can point out to them many things they could have done to make Win7 better I don't think you guys can soothe me on this topic.

We agree to disagree. Let's leave it at that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Mar 2011   #23
Wallonn7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Let us summarize this discussion that there has led us to nowhere and always will ...

We love Windows 7 ... you do not;

You seem to love Linux ... we do not.

We defend our point of view ... you, your point of view ...

So we stay here. And as said above, if there is anything we can do for you, tell us, because that is the reason for this forum: help and be helped! And as I said in another post, I respect your point of view and I hope the forum and you still maintain the relationship you even recognized as useful! I wish you the best!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

20 Mar 2011   #24
LenL

win7 home premium 64 bit and 32 bit
 
 
Also

I hope that those of us who are not happy with WIN7 performance are heard on this forum and that Microsoft will get the message that there are you folks who love it and don't complain, and there are those of us who don't love it and want it to be better!

By the way I got a message yesterday when I went to Performance and Information Tools that I should Rerun the Experience Index as there was a detected HARDWARE CHANGE. OOOPS a bug in WIN7. I have not changed hardware since I installed WIN7. No need to respond to this.

Also my offer stands.....anyone who wants to come to my house and see and hear ways to improve the product is welcome! Microsoft are you listening?

PS...as for LINUX I don't love it. I am familiar enough with it to know it ain't perfect and in many ways NOT better than Windows. However I think that for a free OS it does a lot of what Windows does (any version) and sometimes does it as good and better. I'm not advocating it's use. But with each passing release of Windows it IS becoming more attractive...at least for me.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Mar 2011   #25
Wallonn7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LenL View Post
( ... ) there are you folks who love it and don't complain, ( ... )
You're right, we do not complain! We are not spoiled. We contribute to make it even better - we become acquainted. The drawbacks here are in most cases related to hardware, Windows 7 newbies consumers and not with Windows 7 itself.

Quote:
By the way I got a message yesterday when I went to Performance and Information Tools that I should Rerun the Experience Index as there was a detected HARDWARE CHANGE. OOOPS a bug in WIN7. I have not changed hardware since I installed WIN7. No need to respond to this.
And I will not. It is clear that you are not willing to absorb knowledge.

Quote:
Also my offer stands.....anyone who wants to come to my house and see and hear ways to improve the product is welcome! Microsoft are you listening
Is it just me or do you want to work at Microsoft?!

Quote:
( ... ) I am familiar enough with it ( ... )
Yeah like you said, you are not familiar enough with Windows 7 to learn anything!

Follow your path and be happy!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Mar 2011   #26
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LenL View Post
The home networking was a disaster. To Share files you have to do more stuff that should not be necessary like setting up a home group, or credentials. What has happened is another layer of complexity was added to home networking.
It's been sgtated before, but I say it again. You are absolutely incorrect in this manner. You have two choices...you can use Homegroups, or set up networking the "proper" way, that involves the same set of steps as XP and Vista. Either way...you have a choice. It can be identically to previous versions, or you can use HomeGroups to simplify the process for people with no networking background. Either way....it definitely isn't more difficult.

The problem is, since Windows 7 didn't come out of the box, hug you, and hold your hand....you turned your mind off to it. No product will ever suit you if you have already decided that it is a failure. You'll never learn or grow comfortable with anything new if you continue to do this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Mar 2011   #27
LenL

win7 home premium 64 bit and 32 bit
 
 
Deacon Froast

Let me explain further.

I have a home network of 3 desktops and 1 laptop. I also have a Print Server with 2 hard drives I use to back up files and folders on all the computers.

Under Win XP all I had to do to share a drive, folder or file on any of the computers was to indicate on ANY PC that it was to be SHARED as XXXXXX. This was very simple.

In WIN7 it would appear the same "SHARE" function was available as for all indications you can go through the same process. But this is a mirage. A bluff. A misdirection. Stuff left in to fool WIN XP people.

After trying to do this in WIN7 I discovered that this can't be done. To Share a drive on my wifes computer I had to set up credentials. This is a much more involved and complicated process over what was done in WINDOWS XP. Ditto the home Group nonesense. Not needed and unnecssary program code making for bloated code. I'm sure this has befuddled many people when they went to WIN7.

Connecting to my Print Server was a Night mare. My WIN XP PCS did it easily. I finally did it with the credential manager but what a mess to do. Very complicated.

So say what you want. I went from WIN2000 to WinXP and it was networking was seamless and easy. Win7 was fraught with issues, including misleading installation instruction that I won't get into.... and I paid big bucks for the pain. I can see that this forum has lots of people who simply love WIN7 to death. That's fine. I think if all microsoft wants is to hear from happy customers than they are in trouble. However I think this forum from what I see is helping lots of people with ISSUES! So there must be something NOT SO good about WIN7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Mar 2011   #28
unifex

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)
 
 

You do realize that this forum is not affiliated with Microsoft, right?

The purpose of this forum is to provide volunteer help to those who need it. You are not asking for help, nor are you asking any questions. You are complaining about Windows 7. This is the wrong place to do so and it has nothing to do with anybody's love for the OS.

If you want to complain and especially if you want Microsoft to hear your complaints, why don't you talk to them? They have their own forums and they have customer service which you can call or write to.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Mar 2011   #29
DonH

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LenL View Post
Let me explain further.

I have a home network of 3 desktops and 1 laptop. I also have a Print Server with 2 hard drives I use to back up files and folders on all the computers.

Under Win XP all I had to do to share a drive, folder or file on any of the computers was to indicate on ANY PC that it was to be SHARED as XXXXXX. This was very simple.

In WIN7 it would appear the same "SHARE" function was available as for all indications you can go through the same process. But this is a mirage. A bluff. A misdirection. Stuff left in to fool WIN XP people.

After trying to do this in WIN7 I discovered that this can't be done. To Share a drive on my wifes computer I had to set up credentials. This is a much more involved and complicated process over what was done in WINDOWS XP. Ditto the home Group nonesense. Not needed and unnecssary program code making for bloated code. I'm sure this has befuddled many people when they went to WIN7.

Connecting to my Print Server was a Night mare. My WIN XP PCS did it easily. I finally did it with the credential manager but what a mess to do. Very complicated.

So say what you want. I went from WIN2000 to WinXP and it was networking was seamless and easy. Win7 was fraught with issues, including misleading installation instruction that I won't get into.... and I paid big bucks for the pain. I can see that this forum has lots of people who simply love WIN7 to death. That's fine. I think if all microsoft wants is to hear from happy customers than they are in trouble. However I think this forum from what I see is helping lots of people with ISSUES! So there must be something NOT SO good about WIN7.
Do you make it a habit of assuming? After reading your posts, it certainly seems to be the case. You assume that Microsoft is somehow connected with this forum but it's not. You hope that Microsoft will somehow hear your complaints but they won't. You completely missed or ignored the fact that this is a forum of Win7 users helping other Win7 users. Why would any of us want to listen to the complaints of someone who only wants to argue or complain? Do yourself and us a favor, learn when, how, and to whom to complain.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Mar 2011   #30
sordid

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LenL View Post
There are photoshop like apps and games in LINUX. However I'm not going to try to sell you on Linux. To each his own as you say.
Erm - no.
If you depend on Photoshop that much you're willing to spend the bucks on it, Gimp is absolutely no replacement for it.
Don't get me wrong, Gimp is a great tool, definitely the best free graphics editor. But it simply cannot be compared to Photoshop.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 WIN7 Performance




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Performance: Win7 32-bit vs 64-bit
Tried a search on this first -- said nothing found ... so here goes ... Had to build a new Win7 Pro system a month ago due to old system PSU burning up the motherboard. So, built a new system with AMD 1090t 6-core processor and 4GB of 1333 memory. Was a lot of work doing that -- and it works...
Performance & Maintenance
Win7 sudden loss of performance
after installing AMD overdrive (and accidentally hitting apply on stock settings) and uninstalling it. It gives me the infamous BSOD and after that it's like.. totally killed the speed/power of my computer. I attemtped to re-install then uninstall, did nothing but give me BSOD a couple more times....
Performance & Maintenance
Solved my laggy HD performance in Win7!
First off I want to punch M$ is the face yet again for defaults that cause performance issues, that turned out to be the problem, new ones, that having not used Vista I had never heard of before. Visit this web page for info: Slow File and Folder Copy, Move, Transfer or Delete Operation Speed...
Performance & Maintenance
Performance of win7 compared to Vista
i found this highly worrying to be quite frank, ive been running Vista Ultimate 32x SP2 for a long time no problems atall including with performance. over the weekend i VM'ed a win 7 machine through Vista using the same Laptop receorces and it ran ok. I then thought i might aswell move onto...
General Discussion
H.264/AVC (mp4) Performance in Win7
Hi, We have purchased a couple of Acer Timline 1810TZ laptops which have Intel Pentium SU4100/1.3 GHz ( Dual-Core ) processors, 3GB of RAM & W7-64bit. They are mainly for using whilst out and about but we went for them as they should have been more than capable of playing Divx (6) and/or H.264...
Music, Pictures & Video


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:15.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App