Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Partitition help

03 Apr 2011   #1
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 
Partitition help

I have used the Mini Tool Partition Wizard for making a USB boot drive I <think> and now I have these two unallocated parts showing in it. They do not show in Disk Management. How may I delete and merge these two "rogue" partitions into the C\ drive?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
03 Apr 2011   #2
Orbital Shark

 
 

Hi,

If you right-click 1 (or both) of those Unallocated sections do you get the option to view Preferences/Properties. That info could shed more light on what they are.


OS
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Apr 2011   #3
Orbital Shark

 
 

Also,

USB Windows 7 Installation Key Drive - Create

Will show how to make a USB drive bootable using native Windows (diskpart) applications.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Apr 2011   #4
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Hello mate, have a look through this tutorial at the link below for outlines of the way to resize the partitions into the unallocated space.

Partition Wizard : Use the Bootable CD
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Apr 2011   #5
gregrocker

 

What do you mean you tried to create a USB boot drive? What I see is a Win7 installation with anomalous unallocated space bookending it.

This is sometimes caused by a flaw in PW v.5.2. I solved it on an install by using PW v.4.2 to resize the adjoining partitions into the space: partition wizard 4.2 free.zip - Windows Live
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Apr 2011   #6
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Orbital Shark View Post
Also,

USB Windows 7 Installation Key Drive - Create

Will show how to make a USB drive bootable using native Windows (diskpart) applications.
This part is done.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Orbital Shark View Post
Hi,

If you right-click 1 (or both) of those Unallocated sections do you get the option to view Preferences/Properties. That info could shed more light on what they are.


OS
The anomalous partitions aren't show in disk management, here is how the rt click menu looks in Partition Wiz.:
Attachment 147250
I have tried making the partitions logical, then merge but this version of Part. wiz. won't allow that.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Hello mate, have a look through this tutorial at the link below for outlines of the way to resize the partitions into the unallocated space.

Partition Wizard : Use the Bootable CD
I will take a look-see.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
What do you mean you tried to create a USB boot drive? What I see is a Win7 installation with anomalys unallocated space bookending it.

This is sometimes caused by a flaw in PW v.5.2. I solved it on an install by using PW v.4.2 to resize the adjoining partitions into the space: partition wizard 4.2 free.zip - Windows Live
Gregrocker, a bootable USB Win 7 install drive, I have that part sone.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Apr 2011   #7
gregrocker

 

What that means to me is that you have created a bootable Win7 installer, which is not what is showing in the screenshots which depict a Win7 installation. You cannot install Win7 to a USB drive.

Nor can we see the drive listings extensions which are cut off on the PW screenshot. If you have Logical free space, then first try PW 5.2 as it treats Logical Free space just like Primary Unallocated space when Resizing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Apr 2011   #8
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Hello mate, have a look through this tutorial at the link below for outlines of the way to resize the partitions into the unallocated space.

Partition Wizard : Use the Bootable CD
I'm more confused now
In the tutorial, you show 4 partitions and all I want to do is add the two unallocated partitions to the "Seagate" partition, my Win 7 installation.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Apr 2011   #9
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
What that means to me is that you have created a bootable Win7 installer, which is not what is showing in the screenshots which depict a Win7 installation. You cannot install Win7 to a USB drive.

Nor can we see the drive listings extensions which are cut off on the PW screenshot. If you have Logical free space, then first try PW 5.2 as it treats Logical Free space just like Primary Unallocated space when Resizing.
Here it is...sorry. Anyway, I have learned how to spell "partition"
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Apr 2011   #10
gregrocker

 

You can try to resize your Win7 boot and OS partitions into the unallocated space using PW v.5.2 (and if it fails v.4.2) but it's hardly worth the time taken for 2 mb.

The 100mb System Reserved partition is not marked correctly System Active, but instead Active Boot. Have you done repairs on C that caused this? Or are you trying something else which is not clear? Because if System boot files are in fact on C it should also be Boot and Active.

To see if System Reserved is even functioning any longer as boot partition, reboot into F8 Advanced Tools menu to see if Repair console is at top of list and functioning. Run Startup Repair to see if it finds any issues.

Frankly with the flags that mismarked I would want to merge SysReserved space into Win7, mark it active and running Startup Repair 3 times from the DVD/Repair CD. Or clean reinstall to a wiped HD (using PW CD "Disk" tab Wipe) following these steps to get a perfect install: Reinstalling Windows 7 - Windows 7 Forums .
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Partitition help




Thread Tools



Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:51.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App