Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: I have deleted authui.dll windows 7

11 Apr 2011   #1
hinchliffe92

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 
I have deleted authui.dll windows 7

Hello, I have replaced authui.dll with one from DeviantART but now I cant log on to windows 7 It's just a black screen when it gos to log on.



Thanks,

Peter.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
11 Apr 2011   #2
fimble

windows 7 ultimate
 
 

Have you got a System Restore point/backup etc. etc. you can roll back to?
Can you get into Safe Mode?
If you say no to the first and yes to the second, do a search through the WinSXS folders ( your Sytems backup), also the AMD (?) folders if you are running 64bit. Copy the files from there and replace your dA modded files with the correct ones. You could even run sfc /scannow but that will replace all your modded files.

Why were you trying to replace the authui.dll file? (just curious!)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Apr 2011   #3
biggles1000

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

And if the second doesn't work, boot into a Linux live cd with a copy of the right dll on a flash drive. Then copy it into the correct folder.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

11 Apr 2011   #4
hinchliffe92

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fimble View Post
Have you got a System Restore point/backup etc. etc. you can roll back to?
Can you get into Safe Mode?
If you say no to the first and yes to the second, do a search through the WinSXS folders ( your Sytems backup), also the AMD (?) folders if you are running 64bit. Copy the files from there and replace your dA modded files with the correct ones. You could even run sfc /scannow but that will replace all your modded files.

Why were you trying to replace the authui.dll file? (just curious!)
I dont think I have got a Restore point, and Safe Mode is doing the same.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Apr 2011   #5
fimble

windows 7 ultimate
 
 

Biggles option is looking favourable at the moment then!

If you've got the disk, a repair install should do the trick. I'll bow to others superior knowledge on that department though, as, touch wood (taps head) I've never had to do one. Yet!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Apr 2011   #6
hinchliffe92

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fimble View Post
Biggles option is looking favourable at the moment then!

If you've got the disk, a repair install should do the trick. I'll bow to others superior knowledge on that department though, as, touch wood (taps head) I've never had to do one. Yet!!
I dont have a Windows 7 disk, Windows just came with my HP Laptop. I have a idea if I install Windows XP could I go to my Windows 7 files and change it there?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Apr 2011   #7
biggles1000

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Not the best choice. Installing xp after 7 is always very tricky and windows will most likely complain about the security issues of you changing parts it doesn't want you to.

For the Linux option, just google 'Puppy Linux'. On the official looking site, find the (it's less than 200MB) latest iso, download it and burn it to a blank cd. Copy the original dll, probably obtain it from a dll site, to a memory stick. Boot into the puppy live cd, browse through C and copy and paste the dll.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Apr 2011   #8
fimble

windows 7 ultimate
 
 

I'll vouch for Puppy. Very handy and lightweight way to get into Windows through the back door.
Its got to be worth a try, else I fear a re-install will be on the cards. Sure you don't want to be doing that!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Apr 2011   #9
hinchliffe92

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by biggles1000 View Post
Not the best choice. Installing xp after 7 is always very tricky and windows will most likely complain about the security issues of you changing parts it doesn't want you to.

For the Linux option, just google 'Puppy Linux'. On the official looking site, find the (it's less than 200MB) latest iso, download it and burn it to a blank cd. Copy the original dll, probably obtain it from a dll site, to a memory stick. Boot into the puppy live cd, browse through C and copy and paste the dll.
I'll try Puppy Linux now. Is the official website http://puppylinux.org

Thank you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Apr 2011   #10
Bongo

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Pro x64 / Win 10 Pro
 
 

Look at these tutorials they may help.
Jerry

Edit: If you can run the sfc /scannow it should replace that .dll
SFC /SCANNOW : Run in Command Prompt at Boot
System Recovery Options
Startup Repair
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 I have deleted authui.dll windows 7




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Removed Authui.dll
Hey guys, major problem here. I've removed the authui.dll whilst trying to mod windows 7, yes I know I shouldn't... Anyway I can't put the file back because of the windows 7 security permissions, and because I've got UAC set to max settings, I can't edit the permissions to put the file back in....
General Discussion
Trying to replace authui
I am trying to replace authui to customise the Logon Screen to my liking. I tried changing some images which control some button images such as Cancel in the CTRL+ALT+DEL screen. Using Restorator or Resource Hacker to replace it, still gives the same (black screen without mouse usage) Here...
Customization
Need an authui.dll file for 32bit system
I need authui.dll file for windows 7 ultimate sp1 32bit. I forgot to backup it when I customize logon screen. please provide me the file completely as possible, (if indeed there authui.dll in another directory) sorry for bad english :confused:
General Discussion
My Computer crashed after replacing authui.dll
i was on askvg.com and found win8 login for 7 i replace authui.dll in system32 and sysWOW64 also replased basebrd.dll then tried it out by switching user i got black screen then rebooted and i still got a black screen
General Discussion
How to troubleshoot authui.dll issues with removing user frame
I'm working on removing the user picture and frame from the login screen, and for some reason following the exact instructions hasn't worked -- I continue to get the black screen and having to restore the original file. I'm not really sure what is going wrong. I'm running 64 bit Windows 7...
Customization
Need authui.dll
When customizing the logon screen, I forgot to backup my authui's. Can someone please zip me up the x64 authui files (One in system32 and one in SysWOW64).
Backup and Restore


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:38.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App