Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Full, Upgrade, Retail or OEM

08 Jul 2009   #1
kevvyb

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 
Full, Upgrade, Retail or OEM

Are all the pre-order deals for upgrade software rather the full retail versions?

I have shelled out quite a bit on WinXP over the past few years and more recently due to both desktop and laptop falling over at the same time.

I want to be able to install any new operating system I buy on new hardware when that becomes necessary.

I have to be very sure. I am not wasting any more dosh on OEM versions.

It seems to me that just because you get a full version rather than an upgrade, that is something different to the license being OEM or Retail.

Full or upgrade version is not really the issue (although full is obviously better). For me it is about the license to install on new hardware as I upgrade that without buying a new copy of windows.

Does 'full' also mean that the install will not be tied to a previous copy of windows being installed first (or having the key for that version to hand)?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
08 Jul 2009   #2
grouchpunk08

Windows 7 Ultimate retail // Windows 7 build 7264 x64, Vista Home Premium SP2 x64
 
 

Full means that you can do a clean install on a clean hard drive, without having to prove you owned a previous version or doing the double install upgrade disk method. You wouldn't necessarily benifit from getting the full version, as you can clean install the upgrade disk, then upgrade the newly installed 7 to 7 again then your key will work, or you could insert the previous OS disk during the setup and the key will work. And yeah, only the upgrade version is being offered at low sale prices, and even that ends on the 11th.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2009   #3
nate42nd

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by grouchpunk08 View Post
Full means that you can do a clean install on a clean hard drive, without having to prove you owned a previous version or doing the double install upgrade disk method. You wouldn't necessarily benifit from getting the full version, as you can clean install the upgrade disk, then upgrade the newly installed 7 to 7 again then your key will work, or you could insert the previous OS disk during the setup and the key will work. And yeah, only the upgrade version is being offered at low sale prices, and even that ends on the 11th.
I can't seem to get into my head if I can do a clean install with an upgrade version on a new drive with no previous version. I think no. However I have been told I can. What is the final verdict on this?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Jul 2009   #4
grouchpunk08

Windows 7 Ultimate retail // Windows 7 build 7264 x64, Vista Home Premium SP2 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nate42nd View Post
I can't seem to get into my head if I can do a clean install with an upgrade version on a new drive with no previous version. I think no. However I have been told I can. What is the final verdict on this?
According to a call to microsoft a couple weeks ago, even when performing an upgrade, clean installing is the recommended method. I was told that when performing the upgrade, if there was no previous version on it, it would ask for a previous OS disk, just like it has in other versions of windows. And if you don't have the disk, you can continue, then you can upgrade your newly installed win7 to win7 using the same upgrade disk, and this will make it to where your upgrade key will work.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2009   #5
kevvyb

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by grouchpunk08 View Post
According to a call to microsoft a couple weeks ago, even when performing an upgrade, clean installing is the recommended method. I was told that when performing the upgrade, if there was no previous version on it, it would ask for a previous OS disk, just like it has in other versions of windows. And if you don't have the disk, you can continue,
Got it up to there.....

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by grouchpunk08 View Post
then you can upgrade your newly installed win7 to win7 using the same upgrade disk, and this will make it to where your upgrade key will work.
Could you explain this bit again......it's probably so obvious to you but you lost me there
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2009   #6
nate42nd

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Okay...I have been told if you don't have the disk for the previous version ytou cannot continue and I will have wasted my money. You are saying it will let you continue without the disk.......

Well, thanks for the info.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2009   #7
grouchpunk08

Windows 7 Ultimate retail // Windows 7 build 7264 x64, Vista Home Premium SP2 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kevvyb View Post
Got it up to there.....



Could you explain this bit again......it's probably so obvious to you but you lost me there
Ok, when you are clean installing from an upgrade disk without putting in a previous OS disk, and you try to activate, it will fail, because you haven't "proven" you own a previous version. The way to clean install on a blank harddrive using an upgrade disk without putting in a previous OS disk is this.

Boot from the DVD, and choose setup to start the install.

Choose advanced and select where you want to install.

When it asks you for a key or a previous OS disk, dont put in a key, and dont put in a disk, and just continue.

Let it finish, and then it will go to your desktop. Don't try to activate now either, as you have an 'upgrade' key.

To get your key to be able to work, you will run the upgrade disk from inside this newly installed windows 7. Then you choose upgrade. It will basically upgrade from 7 to 7. Then once this 'upgrade' is complete, you can use your 'upgrade key to activate you windows 7 installation. Cuz you 'upgraded'.

MS has put this little workaround in all their upgrade media since XP I believe. Hope this is a clear enough explanation
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2009   #8
grouchpunk08

Windows 7 Ultimate retail // Windows 7 build 7264 x64, Vista Home Premium SP2 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nate42nd View Post
Okay...I have been told if you don't have the disk for the previous version ytou cannot continue and I will have wasted my money. You are saying it will let you continue without the disk.......

Well, thanks for the info.
Anytime. This exact process worked for XP and vista, and will work for 7 as well.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2009   #9
kevvyb

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Thanks. I can follow that and Know what I need to do but it still sounds like it doesn't really make sense, or shouldn't sense

Of course here in the UK because the fuss the EU is making, if I am lucky enough to get hold of a copy(s), they will be the full (E) versions.

Will that mean that I just install with the key that comes with the E disk and won't have to go through that upgrade process....?

Tell me if I am wrong but I don't think this answers the OEM/retail question which I suppose comes down to the licence agreement.

I need to know if I go for the offer that this will not restrict me to installing on just the one machine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2009   #10
grouchpunk08

Windows 7 Ultimate retail // Windows 7 build 7264 x64, Vista Home Premium SP2 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kevvyb View Post
Thanks. I can follow that and Know what I need to do but it still sounds like it doesn't really make sense, or shouldn't sense

Of course here in the UK because the fuss the EU is making, if I am lucky enough to get hold of a copy(s), they will be the full (E) versions.

Will that mean that I just install with the key that comes with the E disk and won't have to go through that upgrade process....?

Tell me if I am wrong but I don't think this answers the OEM/retail question which I suppose comes down to the licence agreement.

I need to know if I go for the offer that this will not restrict me to installing on just the one machine.
With a full disk, no, you will not have to bother with any kind of upgrading. With a full disk, you can just clean install, and activate right there. But its usually one key-one machine. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure even a full version would restrict you to one machine... unless you were to buy multiple keys, as I'm pretty sure its still one key-one machine for retail full versions
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Full, Upgrade, Retail or OEM




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Upgrade CD vs. Full Retail CD
Forked from this thread, beginning post #114. I have recently learned an Upgrade CD can be used to do a clean install. I have a few questions I would like to clarify. Below is a re-post of my inquiry from the other thread: I was unaware of the presence of a "Retail Upgrade CD" vs. an "OEM...
Windows Updates & Activation
Windows Anytime Upgrade from RETAIL Pro to RETAIL Ultimate
Hi there, question about license keys... I have a retail copy of Win 7 Pro. I would like to install it in a virtual machine on my current computer and use Anytime Upgrade to upgrade it to Win 7 Ultimate. When I finally purchase a new computer, can I use the same upgrade key to put Win 7 Ultimate...
Windows Updates & Activation
Retail Keys: Student vs non, Upgrade vs. Full
Folks is there any difference between Upgrade Disc vs. Full Retail install, other than the key type ? and secondly, my understanding is that the Windows 7 Student Upgrade program key types were limited to W7 Pro and HOme types - is that correct or did they also include Ultimate? thx
Windows Updates & Activation
x32 Only Full Retail
I think that I may have just burned myself. I just bought this from eBay: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Full BRAND NEW/SEALED - eBay (item 160383137739 end time Dec-01-09 08:55:53 PST) I didn't notice until afterward that it only includes the x32 DVD and not the X64 DVD that I intend to...
General Discussion
Win7 News confirms Upgrade same as Full Retail
How to clean install from Windows 7 Upgrade media Mike Halsey | Oct 22, 2009 | Windows 7 News & Tips blog One of the biggest unanswered questions about Windows 7 is whether you can perform a clean install using the upgrade edition of the operating system. With legacy versions of Windows...
Installation & Setup
vista + win7 retail discs to upgrade win7 RC to retail
can i somehow use my vista disc at some point to allow the win7 retail install to upgrade the win7 RC AND NOT HAVE TO REINSTALL MY PROGRAMS? i currently have vista 32 bit home premium. i have the install discs for it too. i want to create another partition and put win7 RC 64 bit on it (dual...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:38.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App