Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Pin multiple Windows Explorer icons to Taskbar

24 Apr 2011   #11
HaLo2FrEeEk

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

You edited your post, this is a reply to your original text. In reply to your edit, you already posted that article, this time you're just posting a link to an article that links to the article you already posted a link to, which, as I recall, Carolyn said was blacklisted.

I wrote out what I wanted to happen in my last post on the first page:

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by HaLo2FrEeEk View Post
Click E:\ drive shortcut, new window opens using the E:\ drive shortcut icon as its taskbar item, NOT creating a new taskbar item (refer to attached screenshots in the first post)

Click FTP site shortcut, new window opens using the FTP site shortcut icon as its taskbar item, NOT creating a new taskbar item.
If I click the E: drive shortcut, then that shortcut expands and becomes the E: drive window's taskbar item, see the attached image:




Attached Images
Pin multiple Windows Explorer icons to Taskbar-example.png 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
24 Apr 2011   #12
Mike Connor

Several, including Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Yes, and I posted a solution to that which you are apparently not interested in.

OK. Fine. Post deleted.

Have a pleasant day!

Regards....Mike Connor
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Apr 2011   #13
HaLo2FrEeEk

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Ok are you kidding me! I've explained in excruciating detail exactly what the problem is, what my expected outcome is, and how I know with 100% undeniable certainty that what I'm trying to do is possible. I appreciate that I'm getting replies at all, I normally don't, but it seems like every post is just a link to an article that I've already read. I Google things, thoroughly, before I post a question to a forum. Obviously I couldn't find a solution to my problem with any of the results that Google turned up, which is why I asked here. I personally hate it when people ask a question and put as little detail as possible into it, which is why I'm very verbose when it comes to asking something. I put all the details out there, everything you could possibly need to know.

If you'd look at the image that I attached to my immediate previous post, you'll see what I'm going for. I have a shortcut icon, I click it, the window opens and that shortcut icon turns into the taskbar item for that window. Closing the window would return the taskbar item back to it's icon state. Both of the shortcuts need to have this behavior, with each one opening in its own icon. Currently only one works, the other opens in the first's icon.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Apr 2011   #14
Mike Connor

Several, including Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by HaLo2FrEeEk View Post
Ok are you kidding me! I've explained in excruciating detail exactly what the problem is, what my expected outcome is, and how I know with 100% undeniable certainty that what I'm trying to do is possible. I appreciate that I'm getting replies at all, I normally don't, but it seems like every post is just a link to an article that I've already read. I Google things, thoroughly, before I post a question to a forum. Obviously I couldn't find a solution to my problem with any of the results that Google turned up, which is why I asked here. I personally hate it when people ask a question and put as little detail as possible into it, which is why I'm very verbose when it comes to asking something. I put all the details out there, everything you could possibly need to know.

If you'd look at the image that I attached to my immediate previous post, you'll see what I'm going for. I have a shortcut icon, I click it, the window opens and that shortcut icon turns into the taskbar item for that window. Closing the window would return the taskbar item back to it's icon state. Both of the shortcuts need to have this behavior, with each one opening in its own icon. Currently only one works, the other opens in the first's icon.
The only way to do what you want is to fool the taskbar into thinking that it is opening an application. The way to do that is to make a "Pseudo app", and give it its own icon.

The site I gave a link for explains how to do it. None of my checks say that site is dangerous.

Here is an extract from Lifehacker;

QUOTE
Windows 7's taskbar lets you pin any running program to the taskbar for easy future access, but it treats folders like second-class sub-items of the Explorer icon. Create a fake "program" to pin individual folder shortcuts to your taskbar.A UNAWAVE blog post notes that trying to pin a specific folder to your taskbar results in it being pinned instead to the Windows Explorer folder icon as an item you can access from a right-click. Not that jump lists can't be productive and helpful, but that's just not as convenient as just popping open your pictures, is it?
UNQUOTE

From: Lifehacker, tips and downloads for getting things done

I am not going to post a link to the site again, even though I know it is not dangerous.

That works on my system, I can have three different shortcuts to folders, all with their own separate icons, and clicking on the icon opens the folder. I can click on all three shortcuts, and I get three folders and three separate icons in the taskbar.

I assume, possibly incorrectly, that that is what you want to do.

Regards.....Mike Connor
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Apr 2011   #15
Carolyn

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote:
I am not going to post a link to the site again, even though I know it is not dangerous.
For the record, I researched the IP that was blocked and I too believe that the site is safe.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Apr 2011   #16
HaLo2FrEeEk

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Here's the problem though, I followed the UNAWAVE tutorial to the letter:

Create a text file
give it an .exe extension
right click > pin to taskbar
in the "Target" field, put in the path you're trying to get to (in my case, E:\)
Change the icon
Change the name
click ok.

There are two problems though. First, when I click the icon, a new taskbar item is spawned. It doesn't simply expand the existing taskbar icon that I created. See the attachment.

Second, logging off or restarting the computer causes this icon to disappear, since Windows knows that it's set directly to a folder and not an application.


Attached Images
Pin multiple Windows Explorer icons to Taskbar-wrong.png 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Apr 2011   #17
Mike Connor

Several, including Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by HaLo2FrEeEk View Post
Here's the problem though, I followed the UNAWAVE tutorial to the letter:

Create a text file
give it an .exe extension
right click > pin to taskbar
in the "Target" field, put in the path you're trying to get to (in my case, E:\)
Change the icon
Change the name
click ok.

There are two problems though. First, when I click the icon, a new taskbar item is spawned. It doesn't simply expand the existing taskbar icon that I created. See the attachment.

Second, logging off or restarting the computer causes this icon to disappear, since Windows knows that it's set directly to a folder and not an application.
Well, you must be doing something wrong, or missing a step or something, it works for me.

I will go through it again myself now, and document each step. may be useful to somebody else as well.

It will take a few minutes..........

Regards....Mike Connor
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Apr 2011   #18
HaLo2FrEeEk

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Well when you post them I'll do a screen recording showing every step that you write, hopefully it works.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Apr 2011   #19
Mike Connor

Several, including Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

OK. Here is the sequence I just carried out.

Create a text file with the name you want to use on the desktop, I used "Pinfoldertest.txt"

Rename the file immediately, to "Pinfoldertest.exe"

When you get the warning from Windows about changing file extensions, click "yes". MAKE SURE THE FILE IS ACTUALLY NOW

Pinfoldertest.exe

The icon will now change to your default .exe icon.

Now click on the file with the right mouse button. Choose "Pin to Taskbar".

Now open Windows explorer and search for the folder you want to open.

Hold down the <SHIFT> key, and right click on the desired folder. This shows the extended context menu item, "Copy as path".

Now, right click the icon in the Taskbar and then AGAIN right click on the "Program" (Pinfoldertest.exe). In the context menu select "Properties".

Open the "Shortcut" tab, clear the "Target" field, and then <Ctrl>+ <V> to insert your target folder.

This should be the result;



You can change the icon to whatever you want. I used the question mark from Windows default icon set here.

Now delete the shortcut on the desktop.

The shortcut on the taskbar can be used immediately, but the icon will only appear after a reboot.

At this point I rebooted my machine.

You can do all this as often as you want, and you will get separate icons on the taskbar, which open separate targets. This is because the taskbar "thinks" it is opening separate applications.

This is what the taskbar icon looks like when right-clicked;




If you "hover" on the icon;



If you click on the icon, the folder is opened immediately. ( In this case drive G:\ ).

If anything is unclear, please ask.

This is a lot quicker to do than to write about! It only takes a minute or so.

Regards....Mike Connor
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Apr 2011   #20
HaLo2FrEeEk

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Give me a few minutes to edit together a quick video, I'll upload it to Youtube.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Pin multiple Windows Explorer icons to Taskbar




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Weird folder icons in taskbar after explorer crash.
I was editing some id3 tags in DBPowerAmp, and explorer crashed. Random, but, ok. It took a two or three minutes for explorer to recover, and when it did, it was like the display driver had failed, as everything was HUGE upon recovery. Ok, so, nothing a reboot won't fix, right? Humm, MOSTLY. ...
General Discussion
problem with icons on taskbar (wrong icons or missing icons)
Hi all (I'm italian, excuse me for my bad english). I have a pc with windows 7 home premium 64 bit. I have a problem with some icons on taskbar: sometimes some applications are displaying the wrong icons, sometimes, as you can see (screenshot), I don't see some icons: sometimes a few are missing...
Performance & Maintenance
Icons & Thumbnails don't appear in windows explorer or taskbar anymore
I'm never the one to ask, but I don't know what happened. I tried looking online but I couldn't find any solutions. It seems like all my icons (including folders) are not showing up in windows explorer, taskbar, or the desktop anymore. This isn't too big a problem, but navigating through my picture...
General Discussion
Can't "Hover" Taskbar Icons with multiple windows, have to click!
This is a strange issue that's been bothering the living hell out of me. NO one seem to know how to get this resolved. I installed Tune Up Utilities and just uninstalled it again actually, and done a bit tweaking to the system. Now for example if I have 5 tabs opened in IE (which you can see the...
General Discussion
Multiple Window Icons In Taskbar
Like any other program, when I have multiple windows of word open, there will be the word icon in my taskbar, with however many cascading boxes to the side. Even if I have just two documents open, I prefer to keep them full screen and not tiled. So in order to switch from one document to the next I...
Microsoft Office
No Icons in Desktop/Taskbar/Explorer
Hi guys. I am going crazy with this problem of mine. See screenshot on how it looks like. This problem just occurred yesterday. Here is my ancient laptop's specs: Intel Pentium 4 - M (1.9GHz, single-core) 512MB RAM
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:30.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App