Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: New Info release from MS on UPGRADE

11 Jul 2009   #31
fakeasdf

Win 7 Pro x64 x 3, Win 7 Pro x86, Ubuntu 9.04
 
 

Can do Upgrade installation (No Need to Reinstall Programs etc)
Windows Vista Home Premium -> Windows 7 Home Premium
Windows Vista Business -> Windows 7 Professional
Windows Vista Ultimate -> Windows 7 Ultimate

Can Buy (Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate) Upgrade (Must clean install, reinstall programs etc)

Windows 2000
Windows XP
Windows Vista (see above)
Windows 7 RC (Activated*) -> Windows 7 Ultimate

How about that? If that's right I'll just delete my other post... It would be cheaper to buy an old Windows 2000 disc off ebay (10 - 20 dollars) and a Windows 7 upgrade than to buy any of the Windows 7 full versions...


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
11 Jul 2009   #32
Jacee
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by YupYup View Post
This is not "Mission Impossible".
Too funny!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jul 2009   #33
YupYup

Win 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fakeasdf View Post
Can do Upgrade installation (No Need to Reinstall Programs etc)
Windows Vista Home Premium -> Windows 7 Home Premium
Windows Vista Business -> Windows 7 Professional
Windows Vista Ultimate -> Windows 7 Ultimate

Can Buy (Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate) Upgrade (Must clean install, reinstall programs etc)

Windows 2000
Windows XP
Windows Vista (see above)
Windows 7 RC (Activated*) -> Windows 7 Ultimate

How about that? If that's right I'll just delete my other post... It would be cheaper to buy an old Windows 2000 disc off ebay and a Windows 7 upgrade than to buy any of the Windows 7 versions...
Other than the windows 7 RC part it is correct but there are other situations not covered.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jacee View Post
Too funny!
Good to see someone has a sense of humor.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

11 Jul 2009   #34
fakeasdf

Win 7 Pro x64 x 3, Win 7 Pro x86, Ubuntu 9.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by YupYup View Post
Other than the windows 7 RC part it is correct but there are other situations not covered.
What other situations? So this RC thing is all a bunch of BS that's flooding the forums?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jul 2009   #35
YupYup

Win 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fakeasdf View Post
What other situations? So this RC thing is all a bunch of BS that's flooding the forums?
Well your missing other versions of vista and depending on which version of vista it can be upgraded to more than one version of windows 7. And limitations such as.

Cross-architecture in-place upgrades (for example, x86 to x64) are not supported.
Cross-language in-place upgrades (for example, en-us to de-de) are not supported.
Cross-build type in-place upgrades (for example, fre to chk) are not supported.
Cross-media type in-place upgrades (for example, Staged to Unstaged or Unstaged to Staged) are not supported.

And of course you must meet the system requirements.

which part are you referring to as BS?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jul 2009   #36
Ohgami

Main: Dual Boot (Vista SP2 64 Ultimate & Win7 64 7100) Laptop:Win7 64 7100
 
 

Springboarding off what YupYup Said the Upgrade matrix for Vista> 7 should be:

Can do Upgrade installation (No Need to Reinstall Programs etc)

Windows Vista Home Premium -> Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional or Ultimate
Windows Vista Business -> Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate
Windows Vista Ultimate -> Windows 7 Ultimate ONLY

(This is Purchase versions only though as Enterprise, Starter and Home Basic presents a different can of worms)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jul 2009   #37
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Well, no matter what the real answer is, I will STILL be doing a clean install. That is just me, the rest of you can do whatever.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jul 2009   #38
fakeasdf

Win 7 Pro x64 x 3, Win 7 Pro x86, Ubuntu 9.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by YupYup View Post
Well your missing other versions of vista and depending on which version of vista it can be upgraded to more than one version of windows 7. And limitations such as.

Cross-architecture in-place upgrades (for example, x86 to x64) are not supported.
Cross-language in-place upgrades (for example, en-us to de-de) are not supported.
Cross-build type in-place upgrades (for example, fre to chk) are not supported.
Cross-media type in-place upgrades (for example, Staged to Unstaged or Unstaged to Staged) are not supported.

And of course you must meet the system requirements.

which part are you referring to as BS?
Yes, I read about the languages and stuff like that, and ignored the upgrading form x86 and x64 since they are both included, but that is a good point. And I doubt anyone has any checked versions that is doing upgrades, and most people don't even know the difference is between the checked and free... I was referring the the RC upgrade paths. Seeing as they only released keys for Ultimate you couldn't activate a home premium RC. Is there some other information about upgrading from RC?

@Ohgami Where did you see that information? The site YupYup showed me did not show those options..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jul 2009   #39
YupYup

Win 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ohgami View Post
Springboarding off what YupYup Said the Upgrade matrix for Vista> 7 should be:

Can do Upgrade installation (No Need to Reinstall Programs etc)

Windows Vista Home Premium -> Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional or Ultimate
Windows Vista Business -> Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate
Windows Vista Ultimate -> Windows 7 Ultimate ONLY
Except for some reason according to the test matrix vista home premium -> Professional in-place upgrade is not supported. Which i find very hard to swallow.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jul 2009   #40
Ohgami

Main: Dual Boot (Vista SP2 64 Ultimate & Win7 64 7100) Laptop:Win7 64 7100
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by YupYup View Post
Except for some reason according to the test matrix vista home premium -> Professional in-place upgrade is not supported. Which i find very hard to swallow.
Prolly a Glitch or something they are working on. But I remember them saying that upgrades were going to be like or higher versions. (i.e. No downgrading at all).

@Fakeasdf I remember them mentioning the upgrade paths when the announced the versions. (along with Business going back to Professional) I'll see what I can do to scrounge up a link .
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 New Info release from MS on UPGRADE




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
TV season release dates, with no other info
I am looking for a website that tells you the air dates of seasons without giving you any other info. Wiki offers this but there's unfortunately spoilers all over the rest of the page, which has bit me a few times. Eureka (a Titles & Air Dates Guide) - This website is the closest thing I've...
Chillout Room
Time to upgrade from Windows 7 Release Candidate
http://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2102/130-92/Capture.JPG It’s time to upgrade from the Windows 7 Release Candidate While most people who tested Windows 7 have now moved to the final version, some are still running the Release Candidate. If you haven’t moved...
News
Vaio with Win7 RC Build 7100 upgrade to release version
I bought a Sony Vaio laptop with Vista and a promised upgrade to Win7 when officially released. To jump start, I installed Win7 RC Build 7100 from Microsoft over the shipped Vista OS. I just received the promised Win7 upgrade fulfillment from Sony but when I try to install it it tells me that...
Installation & Setup
Release Notes: Important Issues in This Beta Release of Windows 7
These release notes address critical late-breaking issues and information about this beta release of the Windows® 7 operating system. For less serious issues, refer to Things to Know About This Beta Release of Windows 7 (Download details: Release Documents for this Beta Release of Windows 7)....
Installation & Setup
Upgrade to the Latest Windows Live Messenger Release
More...
News
Preparing for eventual upgrade to Win 7 release.
I am running vista sp 1 and rc sp2. I have the home premium edition When Win 7 is released, will it: 1) upgrade direct from vista to win 7? 2) Available in home premium edition so I do not have to pay for ulimate edition? 3) upgrade without destroying the vista configuration? Not so much the...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:29.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App