Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Process (can't be) terminated

22 May 2011   #11
James Colbert

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MPREv View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by James Colbert View Post
Maybe the main event here is not that the programs won't respond to an end request, but that you are regularly required to end them at all.
Sorry, I do not know what you mean. (Maybe my English?)
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MPREv View Post
Sometimes there are processes that can't be terminated...

...This time for example it was opera.exe

To clarify, perhaps you should be investigating why the applications are crashing. You mention that there are many processes that you have to end (but can't).

Why are there so many app crashes? If you solve the problem of why the applications are crashing, you solve the "can't end processes' problem.


The following screenshot is an example using the Event Viewer to view application errors. It can help you compile a 'list' of what apps are producing errors and how often they are. There may be an underlying cause, which those in the Crashes and Debugging - Windows 7 Forums forum could likely help you resolve. The errors shown here are generated by Adobe Flash:


Process (can't be) terminated-eventviewr-errors.jpg


Quote:
Is there another way to kill a process more successfull?
You could try using the command prompt, as outlined here. Look for a heading title "Stop a Process Using Taskkill":

Command Prompt - Advanced Commands for System Information & Managing Active Tasks | Windows 7 Tutorials

But again, if I were having these issues, I would want to fix the 'crashing problem', rather than finding a way to successfully end the problem process(es).

If you find a way to effectively end the processes, you still have the application crashes.

That's rather like looking for a way to quickly bandage a dog bite instead of finding a way to avoid being bitten.


James




My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
23 May 2011   #12
MPREv

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by James Colbert View Post
To clarify, perhaps you should be investigating why the applications are crashing. You mention that there are many processes that you have to end (but can't).
No. I don't say many!
I say some!

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by James Colbert View Post
Why are there so many app crashes? If you solve the problem of why the applications are crashing, you solve the "can't end processes' problem.
I don't think so. For example I find the reason why opera is crashing; perhaps TeraTec Cinema Home is still crashing caused by another reason (atm I donít use it cause I donít need it and donít have the needed HW any more). And in the future if another app crashes ... still the same.
The "ending" problem will still remain, also if I find the reason of one crashing app.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by James Colbert View Post
The following screenshot is an example using the Event Viewer to view application errors. It can help you compile a 'list' of what apps are producing errors and how often they are. There may be an underlying cause, which those in the Crashes and Debugging - Windows 7 Forums forum could likely help you resolve. The errors shown here are generated by Adobe Flash:
Thanks, next time I will take more time to investigate with the event viewer.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by James Colbert View Post
You could try using the command prompt, as outlined here. Look for a heading title "Stop a Process Using Taskkill":
Command Prompt - Advanced Commands for System Information & Managing Active Tasks | Windows 7 Tutorials
as mentioned, I already tried this.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by James Colbert View Post
But again, if I were having these issues, I would want to fix the 'crashing problem', rather than finding a way to successfully end the problem process(es).
If you find a way to effectively end the processes, you still have the application crashes.

That's rather like looking for a way to quickly bandage a dog bite instead of finding a way to avoid being bitten.
Yes, I'm also interested in why the apps crashed, but thats still another problem.
If an app crashes I want to be able to kill that process.
If the crashing is fixed i'll still have the problem that I can't kill a process that would crash by another reason. (Not meaning that I know that it will happen son, but theoretical it can happen every second )

It is better to know how first aid is done, than thinking, that this dog can't bite me any more, but the next one is still ahead. (I hope this metaphor shows what I mean)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 May 2011   #13
James Colbert

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MPREv View Post
Yes, I'm also interested in why the apps crashed, but thats still another problem.
If an app crashes I want to be able to kill that process.
If the crashing is fixed i'll still have the problem that I can't kill a process that would crash by another reason.
More likely, it is the apps that are not responding to the end request rather than Windows sending the request improperly, so, while you may assume that there are 2 separate issues here (1. apps crashing, 2. process not ending), it may indeed be one issue.

Regardless, the Crashes and Debugging forum exists for these types of issues. You would serve yourself well to copy your original post there. Be sure to include a link to this thread.

I'm not sure I understand why you are resistant to the most helpful course to resolve your issue. Good luck.

James
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 May 2011   #14
Ztruker

Windows 10 Pro X64
 
 

You might want to try Process Explorer, see what it tells you about the app you can't kill (any). Right click on the app and launch Depends, see what it tells you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 May 2011   #15
Layback Bear

Windows 10 Pro. 64/ version 1709
 
 

Can you stop those process in safe mode? I have found browser add on's that will not allow you to stop them or remove them in normal mode.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Process (can't be) terminated




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Program Terminated Unexpectedly When Logging Into Windows 7
So as the title says....I login to my Windows 7 Box, this message pops up...I have checked the error logs and cant seem to pin the issue down. Any Help Is Appreciated
Software
Svchost.exe high cpu usage - Dcom terminated
Tried scanning with malwarebytes even in safemode and it didnt detect anything, I ran a Hijackthis scan, Combofix scan, TDSSkiller scan, Im at a complete loss as far as what to do. I load up the pc and svchost.exe starts at around 5k, then it goes way up to about 50% progressively,...
Performance & Maintenance
session manager initialization system process terminated unexpectedly
BSOD: The session manager initialization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000003a (0x00000000, 0x00000000) I'm getting this on a shop system running Win 7 Home Premium 32 bit. The last thing I did was shutdown before going home and I believe it installed an update then...
General Discussion
The Windows Subsystem system process terminated unexpectedly
ok my pc has been getting BSODs quite often and i havent been able to fix it yet.. but today i got a different type of BSOD. im not big in computer tech so i didnt have a clue on what it is and disregarded the numbers..:/ Also i have been getting regular BSODs for about 2-3 months now and i...
BSOD Help and Support
Tcp/ip connection terminated
I am trying to get Windows Live Mail up and running. I have set up my a/c name and password successfully. I am now told I have to download files. When I click to download it starts and then says the TCP/IP connection was unexpectedly terminated. I have NO lack of memory....have only used a...
Browsers & Mail


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:37.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App