Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 x64 - 16 bit games - Dual boot XP

22 May 2011   #11
Shadowjk

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 ; Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tanyam View Post
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on the best was to handle a need for 16bit apps with Windows 7 x64 and XP.

I'm putting together a system for my elderly parents who currently have a barebones old system running XP. They would like to run Windows 7 and want more than 4gb RAM. Trying to make them a machine that's going to last (as if that's possible).

Problem is they have some 16bit games that they love to play. So I was thinking of running XP within 7 x64.. but that's not going to work with 16bit games is it?

So am I going to have to set up a dual boot?

The system has 2 x 1TB SATA2 drives installed. So I was think I might put Windows 7 x64 on one and Window XP x86 on the other.. Reasonable?

If I do that, can the files (like movies and office stuff), be acccessed [safely] from either operating system or might there be conflicts or problems?

I would create a partition on each drive for the OS and a partition for all of the other stuff so two partitions per drive..

Would appreciate your thoughts

thanks
Tanya
If you are going to go down the Windows XP Mode route then make sure the CPU Supports Hardware Virtualization and It is greater than 3.0Ghz

Note   Note
Hardware Virtualization is not needed to run XP Mode however it Helps increase stability and speed


Hope This helps,
Josh


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
22 May 2011   #12
Mirriam

Windows 7 64bit
 
 

I have been fighting with this for some time now and I can tell you what I have found so far, its not a pretty picture. As others have said running XP in a virtual machine is not going to help you. XP Mode running under Win7 is not going to support anything even approaching high end graphics..the performance just isn't there, it appears to me at least to just be a method of running older non-game software under Win7 so people don't have to buy newer updated versions of software they already own. VmWare is better but installing it is not going to be any easier than just dual booting XP and as you plan on partitioning your drives anyway, you may as well set your system up as a dual boot. Problem no one has mentioned is XP does not have drivers for SATA drives. Therefore you are going to have to find and install SATA drivers during the install of XP or it won't even see your HD's. I would suggest as you are building the system yourself, installing a floppy, it will make installing the drivers easier, otherwise you have to create a custom XP installation disc with the drivers on it, which is more complicated than it sounds. In my case I just bought a used older computer that doesn't have SATA drives and already had XP on it to begin with, but what you want is possible its just a little harder than you might have thought. Also if you decide to go with a dual-boot system, install XP first, it will save you some additional problems with XP overwriting Win7 boot files if you install Win7 first.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 May 2011   #13
Shadowjk

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 ; Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mirriam View Post
I have been fighting with this for some time now and I can tell you what I have found so far, its not a pretty picture. As others have said running XP in a virtual machine is not going to help you. XP Mode running under Win7 is not going to support anything even approaching high end graphics..the performance just isn't there, it appears to me at least to just be a method of running older non-game software under Win7 so people don't have to buy newer updated versions of software they already own. VmWare is better but installing it is not going to be any easier than just dual booting XP and as you plan on partitioning your drives anyway, you may as well set your system up as a dual boot. Problem no one has mentioned is XP does not have drivers for SATA drives. Therefore you are going to have to find and install SATA drivers during the install of XP or it won't even see your HD's. I would suggest as you are building the system yourself, installing a floppy, it will make installing the drivers easier, otherwise you have to create a custom XP installation disc with the drivers on it, which is more complicated than it sounds. In my case I just bought a used older computer that doesn't have SATA drives and already had XP on it to begin with, but what you want is possible its just a little harder than you might have thought. Also if you decide to go with a dual-boot system, install XP first, it will save you some additional problems with XP overwriting Win7 boot files if you install Win7 first.
SATA Drives may work with XP If not try to Disbale the Native SATA In your BIOS

Josh
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 May 2011   #14
TanyaC

Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon | Win 7 Ult x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
Have you used DOSBox before?
DOSBox, an x86 emulator with DOS

I've had good results playing 90s games using it.
It can be tricky to setup, but the last version I used had pre-built config files (for quite a few games).
Ah yes, gold old DOsBox. Yes, I've played with it a little before. I wonder if parents approaching their 80's though could cope with it?

Perhaps I will give it a try.

thanks for the suggestion
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 May 2011   #15
TanyaC

Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon | Win 7 Ult x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cyclic View Post
You don't purchase, VMware player is free.
Sorry. My bad.

I've downloaded the player. Will have a tinker.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 May 2011   #16
TanyaC

Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon | Win 7 Ult x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Shadowjk View Post
If you are going to go down the Windows XP Mode route then make sure the CPU Supports Hardware Virtualization and It is greater than 3.0Ghz

Note   Note
Hardware Virtualization is not needed to run XP Mode however it Helps increase stability and speed


Hope This helps,
Josh
Yeah. i5-2500 3.3ghz, 8gb RAM, Asus P8P67 mobo.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 May 2011   #17
TanyaC

Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon | Win 7 Ult x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Shadowjk View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mirriam View Post
Problem no one has mentioned is XP does not have drivers for SATA drives. Therefore you are going to have to find and install SATA drivers during the install of XP or it won't even see your HD's.
SATA Drives may work with XP If not try to Disbale the Native SATA In your BIOS

Josh
This is interesting to me. I have WIndows XP x86 running as my home network server. There are NO IDE devices installed in that machine at all. It has 5 x 2TB SATA2 drives, plus a LG Blu-ray reader/CD/DVD Writer SATA2.

I have not set SATA to legacy mode. I'll see if I can grab a screen pic of my BIOS settings. They are pretty much default in this area. I haven't changed anything.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 May 2011   #18
TanyaC

Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon | Win 7 Ult x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
If you want more than 4gb of ram, Win XP x64 is needed.
Go for XP mode.
Well, thank you all for your responses. I think we have a good discussion going on this subject. There seems to be good points about each of the different solutions.

My parents are elderly and I think I'm going to have to be guided by that rather than anything else. I'm not sure they could cope with things like DosBox and VMWare. Also, I'm running short on time to play around and iron out the bugs.

At this point in time I think I will go the dual boot route and since I have a test system here I can play around at my pace and see if I can dumb it down for them (no disrespect intended). It's only a days work to backup and reconfigure the system if other mechanisms will work.

again, thanks for your responses.

tanya
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 May 2011   #19
gregrocker

 

Try installing the older games in Win7 Compatibility Mode

Next try free Virtual Box, Virtual Player and VMWare to see how performance pans out.

If forced to Dual Boot, unplug Win7 when installing XP while setting XP HD as first to boot in BIOS setup.

After install plug back in Win7 HD, set preferred HD as first to boot in BIOS setup, boot other HD using one-time BIOS Boot Menu key. This keeps the HD's independent to come and go as you please, whereas configuring a Windows Dual Boot interlocks them.

If the HD is not seen during XP install, you may need to insert the XP SATA controller driver: SATA Drivers - Slipstream into Windows XP CD
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 May 2011   #20
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1, LM18.2 MATE, W10 Home, #All 64 bit
 
 
You'd need to do the "heavy lifting"

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tanyam View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
Have you used DOSBox before?
DOSBox, an x86 emulator with DOS

I've had good results playing 90s games using it.
It can be tricky to setup, but the last version I used had pre-built config files (for quite a few games).
Ah yes, gold old DOsBox. Yes, I've played with it a little before. I wonder if parents approaching their 80's though could cope with it?

Perhaps I will give it a try.

thanks for the suggestion
You would probably need to set it up for them (i.e. create the config files for any games they wanted to play).
You could then make a batch file, script or shortcut to start the game, which means they wouldn't have to tinker with the config files.

I seem to recall that the last time I used it, all I did was:
  1. Modified and named a config file for each game.
  2. Placed it in the appropriate AppData folder.
  3. Created a batch file to start DOSBox with the config file.
  4. Created a shortcut to call the batch file.
  5. Placed the shortcut in my Start Menu.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 x64 - 16 bit games - Dual boot XP




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Win 7 , Ubuntu dual boot, windows wont boot, startup disk doesnt help
Hi a couple of months ago my system crashed, windows 7 wouldnt boot, and I misplaced my installation disk. I had the problems several times since obtaining the computer several years ago. (Lenovo IDeaPad y450). I attributed the problem to what I believed was a bad hard disk, so I replaced it with a...
General Discussion
Windows 7 dual boot dual disks
Hi If everything goes well I'll be building my first gaming desktop later this year. One of the scenarios I'm considering is having 4 hard disks and two OSs, a1, a2, b1, b2 the a disks would be 128 SSDs each with its copy of Win7, the b disks would be 1 TB HDDs with data. I want a1 (when...
Installation & Setup
All games hang briefly, then recover. Desktop dual boot W7 & OSX
All games I've played recently (both single and multiplayer, whether through Steam, Origin, or standalone, internal or external drive) occasionally freeze up and then recover. It usually lasts only a couple of seconds. Example games: Dragon Age II (singleplayer, through Origin, external...
Gaming
Recover Windows 7 boot on dual boot system with GRUB masterboot
Hi, I have a dual-boot system Ubuntu/Windows 7. The Master boot loader is GRUB. It worked fine until yesterday when, for some reason, Windows 7 refused to load anymore. I tried to repair with chkdsk, found and repaired some disk errors, but now the boot loader is damaged. The problem I have is...
General Discussion
windows 7 and linux fedora dual boot with dual drives
hello, i have some questions regarding dual booting windows 7 home premium x64 with linux fedora 14 on dual independantly dedicated drives. i am a college student with moderate computer (windows) knowledge but am doing software development and would like to play around with some linux for a class....
General Discussion
dual boot , reinstall the windows and lost dual boot
Hello Everyone , i was wondering if anyone could help me in this matter : i have windows7 and Redhat on my Laptop , i have removed and reinstalled the Windows7 last night and after that lost the Dual boot option , in fact the system is booting on windows7 and there is no option to chose...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:11.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App