Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 on OLD computers

07 May 2009   #51
Rusty100

Windows 7
 
 

I've been running Win7 on my home threatre pc and more recently my desktop, and I've been thinking of installing it on my old laptop. It's a Fujitsu Lifebook and I'm not sure if I should. It's a 1.7ghz AMD Athlon XP 2200+, 512mb RAM shared with an onboard ATI Radeon EGP 320M (currently using 16MB.

Do you think it would run alright? Especially with Aero (I doubt it would let me but I guess I could force it to test it out). It's currently running XP pretty sluggishly, and I thought Windows 7 might be a slight improvement but I'm not sure. It couldn't run any worse than it does not (I hope).


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
07 May 2009   #52
kensiko

Win7 64 bits FR
 
 

I've installed Win7 on my laptop, 1.6GHz Pentium M, 1GB ram, Intel 855 chipset, 4200 rpm HD.

I think it is slower with Windows 7 compared to a fresh Windows XP installation. But I'm not sure. Aero doesn't work. When the laptop is started, it runs fine, but my hard drive work hard on start-up.

Using hibernation helps a lot for start-up time.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 May 2009   #53
Simba7

Windows 7 (Build 7600-16385)
 
 

Actually, on my Thinkpad, I've noticed it run things alot faster and my download times have increased from around 500KB/sec per site to around 1.5MB/sec. Not to mention it seems to run more fluid, especially when you install and run a bunch of programs.

This is where I was experiencing the limitations of XP. The more programs I run, the slower it got. I had a gig of memory free and was still slowing down.

After I switched to Win7, I haven't had those problems since. Sure, I don't have Aero on most of my systems, but who cares. I prefer stability than eye candy anyday.

Oh, and Rusty, I have Win7 running on a Latitude C610 (PIII@1.2GHz, 1GB RAM, 40GB HDD, 16MB Radeon). No problems here and it runs really good.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 May 2009   #54
Bumpus

 
x40 laptop

Dual booting XP & Win7 x86 on an IBM/Lenovo x40.
Pentium M, 1.4 Ghz
1.25 GB Ram
Index is 1.0 (hehe)

I LOVE IT ! ! !
It's just as snappy as XP, if not a litttle more so.
IE 8 is a winner too. (ditched IE7 after a week of testing.)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 May 2009   #55
Rusty100

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Simba7 View Post
Actually, on my Thinkpad, I've noticed it run things alot faster and my download times have increased from around 500KB/sec per site to around 1.5MB/sec. Not to mention it seems to run more fluid, especially when you install and run a bunch of programs.

This is where I was experiencing the limitations of XP. The more programs I run, the slower it got. I had a gig of memory free and was still slowing down.

After I switched to Win7, I haven't had those problems since. Sure, I don't have Aero on most of my systems, but who cares. I prefer stability than eye candy anyday.

Oh, and Rusty, I have Win7 running on a Latitude C610 (PIII@1.2GHz, 1GB RAM, 40GB HDD, 16MB Radeon). No problems here and it runs really good.
Ah thanks. It's a school laptop and I mainly use it for work and what not, but it takes its time even doing the simplest of tasks. I think I will chuck WIN7 on there. How would it operate with forced Aero (I heard you can do this)?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 May 2009   #56
nate42nd

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Here's mine on a P4 machine with 512MB of RAM. It runs fine. I am trying 32 bit on it right now. It seems to run better with 32 bit for some reason.

Attachment 10317
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 May 2009   #57
kensiko

Win7 64 bits FR
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Rusty100 View Post
Ah thanks. It's a school laptop and I mainly use it for work and what not, but it takes its time even doing the simplest of tasks. I think I will chuck WIN7 on there. How would it operate with forced Aero (I heard you can do this)?

How can you "force" Aero???
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 May 2009   #58
Simba7

Windows 7 (Build 7600-16385)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kensiko View Post
How can you "force" Aero???
I was wondering that same question. I know you can do it with early betas of Vista, but I doubt it with 7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 May 2009   #59
Wilson

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Simba7 View Post
I was wondering that same question. I know you can do it with early betas of Vista, but I doubt it with 7.
You can't do it anymore. I researched this extensively to see if I can force it on my i915 chipset.
If the video card doesn't have the "hardware scheduler" feature, it just won't work unless somebody manages to hack Windows system files to disable that requirement (which at least one person is already trying to do, but the outlook is bleak).
Hardware scheduler apparently allows it to multi-process desktop effects with other video acceleration more efficiently, although Aero does seem to work just fine on the 915 video chip judging by the early Vista betas I used to have.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 May 2009   #60
kensiko

Win7 64 bits FR
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
You can't do it anymore. I researched this extensively to see if I can force it on my i915 chipset.
If the video card doesn't have the "hardware scheduler" feature, it just won't work unless somebody manages to hack Windows system files to disable that requirement (which at least one person is already trying to do, but the outlook is bleak).
Hardware scheduler apparently allows it to multi-process desktop effects with other video acceleration more efficiently, although Aero does seem to work just fine on the 915 video chip judging by the early Vista betas I used to have.
Oh thank you for the information, I won't spend more time on this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 on OLD computers




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Networking will not see non-windows 7 computers.
Hello. I've spent 2-3 days now trying to solve the networking mysteries of Win 7. In a nutshell. This computer (win7-64) cannot see the other computers and shares on our small studio network except for the windows 7 machines (also win7-64). (the other computers/shares are all XP) We have 2...
Network & Sharing
Windows XP Computers disconnect from shared drives on Windows 7 comp
On this network there are three Windows 7 machines and two Windows XP machines. One of the Windows 7 machines is acting as a server providing all the other computers with shared folders that they network to via the "map network drive feature". The two Windows 7 machines connect to this central...
Network & Sharing
Computers with USB 3 and Windows 7
I notice that several new computers come with USB 3.0 ports and Windows 7 Home Premium installed. It is my understanding the W7 does not support USB 3.0. If so, what advantage does having the USB 3 port on such a computer? Thank you.
Hardware & Devices
put 1 copy of windows 7 on 2 computers?
Can you put 1 copy of windows 7 on 2 computers??? I currently have vista and my hard driving is giving a warning that it may fail. I can't find my vista disk, but my hubby does have windows 7 and was wondering if we can just put his on my computer???? Or does it only let you do on one computer????...
Installation & Setup
2 windows 7 computers in Lan
first of all, im new on the forums, user of w7 since January and loving it. i have 1 laptop with 7620 and the desktop with RTM, the issue is taht when i do \\computer\c$ i get the prompt saying taht i need to enter a user and password when i could do it before without entering it. in...
Network & Sharing
How Do You Get Other Computers To See Windows 7
I have homegroup set up on my windows 7 (I think). I can see all my windows XP computers, but they can't see me. How do I configure my network in windows 7. The network wizard was so simple in windows XP, but I haven't been able to get it right in Vista or Windows 7.
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:55.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App