Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Desperately need help!!!! crashes on login.

14 Jun 2011   #1
ashtiany43

64 home premium
 
 
Desperately need help!!!! crashes on login.

hey guys. first post here as I really need help.
when I type in my password on my usermame and hit enter, the welcome text appears for a few seconds but then the laptop crashes completely. it doesn't say anything, it just goes completely silent and don't respond.

this begun right after I downloaded some software and installed a few drivers to help 'root ' my HTC. in safe mode these drivers are nowhere to be found.

system restores don't work either.

any help is appreciated greatly!!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
14 Jun 2011   #2
BugMeister

Windows10 Pro - 64Bit vs.10547
 
 

- have you tried starting in "safe mode"
- your manual should tell you how to do it..
- something like holding down the number 6 key while booting up..


- then go into control panel and uninstall the suspect software/driver, etc..

when you restart it should boot up ok in normal mode..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jun 2011   #3
ken9122

Win7 x64 Ultimate SP1
 
 

A little info on your system would help
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Jun 2011   #4
ashtiany43

64 home premium
 
 

yeah I've tried safe mode and it works in that but I don't really know where to go from there.
sorry Im in a bit of a worry, its a dell inspiron n5030. dual core, 4gb ram. anything else you need to know?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jun 2011   #5
ashtiany43

64 home premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BugMeister View Post
- have you tried starting in "safe mode"
- your manual should tell you how to do it..
- something like holding down the number 6 key while booting up..


- then go into control panel and uninstall the suspect software/driver, etc..

when you restart it should boot up ok in normal mode..
I've tried this, but the suspect driver doesn't actually seem to be there. I don't actually know if that's the cause anyway you see.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jun 2011   #6
t-4-2

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ashtiany43 View Post
hey guys. first post here as I really need help.
when I type in my password on my usermame and hit enter, the welcome text appears for a few seconds but then the laptop crashes completely. it doesn't say anything, it just goes completely silent and don't respond.

this begun right after I downloaded some software and installed a few drivers to help 'root ' my HTC. in safe mode these drivers are nowhere to be found.

system restores don't work either.

any help is appreciated greatly!!
>>> system restores don't work either.

Did you pick a date BEFORE you installed those softwares and drivers as your restore point , or you just let the system picking the most recent date as restore point ?
IF you did the latter, it won't do you any good, because the date chosen was the date you already had the problem.
You are supposed to choose a date when you did NOT have such problem as your restore point.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jun 2011   #7
gregrocker

 

If it works in Safe Mode then the issue is likely the driver.

You need to have a Restore Point available to get before a driver, program or update install or you need to know why not. If anything you should configure more HD space for Restore points so they last longer: System Protection - Change Disk Space Usage

If necessary run System Restore from System Recovery Options. If this fails, try Startup Repair to see if it finds problems to repair. Next on F8 Advanced Boot Options try Last Known Good COnfig.

Next try a Clean Boot by unchecking everything in msconfig>Startup, reboot. Add back in AV and gadgets if this helps to see what happens. Next on msconfig>Services tab, Hide All MS Services to see what is starting without your knowledge, uncheck each, Save and Restart. If any write themselves back in turn them off in their Preferences or Uninstall. You now have a clean boot.

Continue working through these Win7 basic troubleshooting steps
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jun 2011   #8
ashtiany43

64 home premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by t-4-2 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ashtiany43 View Post
hey guys. first post here as I really need help.
when I type in my password on my usermame and hit enter, the welcome text appears for a few seconds but then the laptop crashes completely. it doesn't say anything, it just goes completely silent and don't respond.

this begun right after I downloaded some software and installed a few drivers to help 'root ' my HTC. in safe mode these drivers are nowhere to be found.

system restores don't work either.

any help is appreciated greatly!!
>>> system restores don't work either.

Did you pick a date BEFORE you installed those softwares and drivers as your restore point , or you just let the system picking the most recent date as restore point ?
IF you did the latter, it won't do you any good, because the date chosen was the date you already had the problem.
You are supposed to choose a date when you did NOT have such problem as your restore point.
thanks for the suggestion bjg I've tried this. problem occurred yesterday and I restored back 5 days ago, no luck.

greengrocker, ive tried everything you've suggested except the last point which I don't quite understand how to carry out. could you give me a few more steps as to how to do this msconfig thing please?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jun 2011   #9
gregrocker

 

It's explained in Method Three here: Startup Programs - Change

Uncheck everything in msconfig>Startup except AV and Gadgets. Reboot.

See if anything has written itself back in, then turn it off in Program Preferences or Uninstall it.

Next in msconfig>Services choose "Hide all MS Services" then uncheck everything you didn't start yourself. Reboot, see if anything writes itself back in as before.

If you have any questions what the items are, google them.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jun 2011   #10
ashtiany43

64 home premium
 
 

ah thank you very much. will give it a go when I get home. are there any other potential solutions? because a clean install is the last thing I really want.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Desperately need help!!!! crashes on login.




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Steam crashes as soon as I login?
Just recently, I was starting up Garry's Mod 13 Beta to play it with my friend and Steam crashed. I started Steam back up, typed my Username and Password and about a second after pressing log in, it crashes. It wont crash till I click on it. I've waited a hour for it to respond, still nothing. I...
Gaming
explorer.exe crashes on login and opening this computer
Hello, Since yesterday my pc suddenly started to generate explorer.exe crashes on everything that I try to do. Opening a file in Notepad by "browsing", trying to open "My Computer" or "My Documents" and even trying to browse for a program by using the Task Manager. When I logon, explorer...
BSOD Help and Support
SyncUp crashes immediately after login
I have been using the program Nero SyncUp for a month, but a week ago, the program started to crash immediately after log in. A window error box comes up saying "SyncUp has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you is a...
BSOD Help and Support
Fresh Install, crashes after windows login
I just finished building a new computer and after I install my graphics card (560 ti from evga) driver I cannot get windows to fully load. It loads to the login screen where I can successfully log in and then starts to load windows until the screen goes black. I have tried 3 different nvidia...
BSOD Help and Support
Windows 7 crashes after login
Hey so my problem is basically once I put my password in and press enter my computer will crash and automatically restart. This problem occurs even in safe mode. I am currently doing system restores (slowly working my way back to using my original back up that I made when I first bought it a week...
BSOD Help and Support
Dell Laptop Crashes on Login. BSOD!
Hello, My name is Nicolas, and tonight, I was working on my Dell M1330 laptop, on Adobe Photoshop CS5 when my computer suddenly shut down, completely ( Hard Shut Down) with no warning, I was pretty mad, but decided to reboot it, I thought the worse was over, but no. Here is what is happening. ...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:52.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App