Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How do i expand my c drive??????

21 Jun 2011   #21
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Why ignore our advice and have your Dad's friend reformat while leaving the HD a Dynamic Disk? He needed to wipe the HD to convert back to Basic.

Again, a Dynamic Disk is to span a single partition across multiple HD's.

I would convert it back to Basic for best performance of OS.

I gave you the link to burn PW 4.2 to CD. Then boot CD, highlight HD, from Disk tab Convert Dynamic Disk to Basic, OK, Apply.

This is an expired version of PW being provided to you as a courtesy because newer versions require you pay for this valuable function.
It would be best as a BASIC DRIVE.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
21 Jun 2011   #22
James Colbert

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by piezoelectron View Post
yes, but as you saw that when i converted my basic drive into dynamic, the OS wouldn't boot, similarly, would the same happen if i converted it from dynamic to basic? that's the main thing for me right now.
You converted it from basic to dynamic and it won't boot. Convert it back to basic as per the instructions posted in this thread to regain a booting system. The instructions were posted to provide your solution. It's sound advice.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jun 2011   #23
piezoelectron

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by James Colbert View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by piezoelectron View Post
yes, but as you saw that when i converted my basic drive into dynamic, the OS wouldn't boot, similarly, would the same happen if i converted it from dynamic to basic? that's the main thing for me right now.
You converted it from basic to dynamic and it won't boot. Convert it back to basic as per the instructions posted in this thread to regain a booting system. The instructions were posted to provide your solution. It's sound advice.
no no no, what i mean to say is that my comp is now booting properly, but the disk remains dynamic. so, would it have booting problems if i again convert it back to basic?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Jun 2011   #24
piezoelectron

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 
?????????????

anyone?????? please!!!!!!!!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jun 2011   #25
MacGyvr

Windows 7 Ultimate RTM (Technet)
 
 

What is it you want to hear? You've been told a dozen times, the disc needs to be basic. DELETE the partition, create a new Basic partition and install 7 in it, or just delete the partition and use factory recovery. That's all the answer there's going to be.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jun 2011   #26
gregrocker

 

It's not possible to create a basic partition. The entire HD must be converted from Dynamic to Basic.

The only way this can be done non-destructively is using free Partition Wizard to convert from Dynamic to Basic. But this is no longer a free feature in current version of PW.

This is why several days ago I linked to the download for PW version 4.2 CD. It needs to be downloaded, burned to CD using ImgBurn or Win7 image burner, booted, then click on the HD to highlight it, from Disk tab "Convert from Dyanamic to Basic Disk," Apply. pw422.zip ISO - Windows Live
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jun 2011   #27
piezoelectron

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
It's not possible to create a basic partition. The entire HD must be converted from Dynamic to Basic.

The only way this can be done non-destructively is using free Partition Wizard to convert from Dynamic to Basic. But this is no longer a free feature in current version of PW.

This is why several days ago I linked to the download for PW version 4.2 CD. It needs to be downloaded, burned to CD using ImgBurn or Win7 image burner, booted, then click on the HD to highlight it, from Disk tab "Convert from Dyanamic to Basic Disk," Apply. pw422.zip ISO - Windows Live
thanks a lot, i've downloaded the program. will nero do for burning?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jun 2011   #28
Tews

64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Yes ...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jun 2011   #29
gregrocker

 

Please read and follow the steps as written:

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post

It needs to be downloaded, burned to CD using ImgBurn or Win7 image burner, booted, then click on the HD to highlight it, from Disk tab "Convert from Dyanamic to Basic Disk," Apply. pw422.zip ISO - Windows Live
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jul 2011   #30
piezoelectron

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Please read and follow the steps as written:

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post

It needs to be downloaded, burned to CD using ImgBurn or Win7 image burner, booted, then click on the HD to highlight it, from Disk tab "Convert from Dyanamic to Basic Disk," Apply. pw422.zip ISO - Windows Live
Hey, thanks a lot for your help! I burned the program to a CD and booted it. I did convert my disk to Basic. But now again my laptop won't boot! PLEASE HELP GUYS!!! Also wishing all Americans a happy Independence Day!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How do i expand my c drive??????




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Is it possible to expand the C:\ drive with another volume?
Hi, so, I got an OCZ Agility 60gb SDD for cheap while I was building my computer, thinking that Windows 7 couldn't possibly use all of that and that I'd be able to prevent programs from installing into my C:\ drive. I tried and tried but somehow, my C:\ drive is now at 4.55GB remaining and I'm...
Performance & Maintenance
How to merge and expand hard drive
Hey there, This is my first post. So I'm new here. I have a current problem and hope some of you fine people can help me out. I have looked already on the internet and here on the forum to find a solution before starting another topic. But I couldn't find it. I will explain the situation as...
Hardware & Devices
Will it create problem If I expand C drive in windows7 with EASEUS Par
Dear friends , I need to expand the volume of the C drive in my windows 7 laptop. When I bought it newly I was unaware that windows 7 have built-in provision in itself to do this work. Therefore I used EASEUS partition Master 5.0.1 Professional Edition to partition my drives as soon I purchased...
Hardware & Devices
Shrink C drive Expand D & ad extra partition A
My operating system is Win7 Ultimate. Currently I have two WD 500 GB drives on my PC. One has 2x 250 GB NTFS partitions. The other drive (F: ) is not partitioned and I have no need to partition (F: ) (F: ) is used for archiving photos and some videos. This inquiry is about the one hard...
General Discussion
Best way to expand drive size after "cloning"?
The title I chose was probably not the best, come to think of it. It isn't so much the resizing part of this process as it is all the rest of it that I seem to be having problems with. Okay, first of all I need to specify that I'm just an average user when it comes to Win7 and hardware nitty...
Backup and Restore
Error in expand the C drive in windows 7
Hi all, I just want to expand my c drive because its having only 5 GB free space. So i read one article in google through that i went to the "Disk management" and i deleted the volume D data. As per the article if i try to delete partition option but its grayed out. I don't know what i did wrong...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:27.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App